What was the GnR song that made you a fan?

Get in the ring, I was in the first grade when UYI came out and I thought the swearing was cool until I saw what slash looked like and and listened to both albums and raided my older brothers tape collecton for AFD. In the 4th grade I traded my beck tape for TSI.  after that they were my favorite band. 

• Like 1

When I was a kid, I had been a massive Queen fan and watched the Freddie tribute concert many times, I'm sad to say it wasn't that performance that made me a fan, but it did introduce me to Axl. By the time I was a teen I was in a band and we played a lot of different stuff, but the drummer was a big fan of Guns so Jungle, SCOM and Paradise City had to be played. Yet again... I'm sad to say that wasn't what made me a fan either. Fast foward a few years, I'm listening to Spotify, I can't sleep, I'm not in a great place, and This I Love comes on. I'm blown away. Not only can Axl really sing, but CD really spoke to me. I listened to the UYI albums, yet again, blown away. Axl doesn't just write rock songs about doing drugs he's got feelings too. I started watching recent performances on Youtube, up until this point I was under the impression Axl couldn't sing anymore, he was fat, he was an asshole, etc. Turns out he could still sing. And he wasn't fat, just not the skinny guy he once was. Nor did I think he was an asshole. So that was me. I found myself listening to Guns' on a daily basis.

Edited by MrSoftie
  • Like 4

The Welcome to the Jungle video on MTV when MTV was true and pure and good in the 80s.  I was in high school.  The opening riffs and scream combined with the image of hayseed Axl sealed it for me. I wore out an Appetite cassette or two. Good times. 

Edited by pinkforgirls
  • Like 4

Nightrain. I had always known Sweet Child, Jungle, and Paradise City from the radio, and knew that they were "Guns N' Roses". I knew who Slash was from Guitar Hero III, but they/it didn't do it for me. One day in 2008, (I was 14) I was on my cousin's forum and watched a YouTube skit done by another member. The credits rolled and the chorus to Nightrain was the song chosen to play over the text. I was like 'hmmm, what is this'. I remain thankful to this day that at the end of the credits, this member chose to write "Song: Guns N' Roses - Nightrain". I looked it up on YouTube and discovered it was the same band who had all these other singles I had known. I listened to everything I could find, and never heard a song that I didn't like. I developed a new appreciation for SCOM, Jungle and PC, and Slash became my favorite guitar player. I've seen him 7 times, and now 8 with GNR in Chicago. I've got pit tickets to see them this weekend, and I couldn't be more excited.

It was Summer of 1987, I was 13 yrs old.  A friend of mine had bought a tape of this new band called Guns N Roses.  He popped that tape into my boom box and we rocked that album from start to finish.  I got my copy the next day.

So, technically, Welcome to the Jungle, since it is the first song on the album, and thus the first song I heard and loved it!

• Like 4

Patience. Was one of my favorite songs as a kid since 89-90 it was until a decade later that I discovered and fell in love with the rest of their catalog, the imagine, videos etc. Slash walking out of the church in the middle of the desert with a cigarette dangling from his mouth playing the most iconic and moving solo sealed the deal for me! Discovering and playing the hell out of gems like Estranged, Coma, Nightrain, Locomotive & Don't Cry assured that this was going to be a lifelong thing for me and not a teen fad. 

Edited by Top-Hatted One

Rocket Queen and Estranged from Tokyo DVD, which my father buy and make me watch it when i was still 6. (and he didn't like it because to many slow song, he's metal guy)

Slowly loves all their tunes from the DVD, and the next thing i learn is the mediocre Spaghetti album and the subsequent break up. Pissed as hell.

Welcome to the Jungle.

Summer of '87, I was at the Narcissus club in Boston, and between bands they used to play videos on a big screen. One night they played the WTTJ video and I was like What the fuck is this? 

Heard the tail end of Nightrain on the radio during a road trip and the signal cut out before they could say the band name. Thought it was the coolest song ever and the riff was amazing. Somehow, once we got to Minneapolis the restaurant we went to had it playing on the speakers and the waitress said it was by the band "Guns N' Roses." My life changed that day. 

Edited by tajandreas

1 hour ago, BadApples87 said:

It was Summer of 1987, I was 13 yrs old.  A friend of mine had bought a tape of this new band called Guns N Roses.  He popped that tape into my boom box and we rocked that album from start to finish.  I got my copy the next day.

So, technically, Welcome to the Jungle, since it is the first song on the album, and thus the first song I heard and loved it!

Similar story, i was 7 yrs old in 87 at my best friends house and  we were in his pool and had Slippery when wet by Bon Jovi on the stereo. My friends older brother who was 13-14 came out and said something like " if you think this shit is good get a load of this " and put in Appetite. So yeah technically Jungle is the first song i ever heard and funnily enough i haven't listened to a Bon Jovi album since.

My big sister introduced me to GN'R when i was around 5 years old (1993).. I loved to be up in her room listening to "yellow record song No 1 or 13" I didn't know what's the albums name or name of the songs.. I just said "the yellow or the blue etc.. I really liked the Bass in Right Next Door To Hell.. And the riff in Don't Damn Me. Also loved listen to Coma on high volume so the bass would make the walls vibrate :headbang:

Ever since, i've been a Die Hard non stop listener to Guns N' Roses! Took me trough some dark times in my youth... (still Young tho.. (28 in two Days)

Edit: i have a VHS recording of the Paris -92 pay-per-view Concert.. Watched so many times over the years that it broke haha. taped it back together and watched every time i had a party..

Edited by estranged_85
  • Like 1

You could be mine. 1991. I was 9 years old. My friends father bought the Illusion records, and the first song that he put in, was the twelfth song from the second disc. I never forget that magic!!