Axl Rose: The Greatest Transformation of 2016

Yeah Axl's vibe since the reunion is making me question my own personal life....like damn should I reach out to my ex-boyfriend and make amends? Would that make me look younger and glow the way Axl does this year?

But in all seriousness, this year is pretty magical for GNR fans. I was re-reading some of the old threads from 2012-2014 and the vibe was just so dour and I don't think any of the longtime fans expected such a turnaround in behavior from him. I hope the good vibes continue and they can make new music and do some cool stuff next year for the AFD anniversary. I would love to see them make a documentary a la the Beatles anthology.

I also wish they would do one splashy big deal interview where they answer all of the questions mainly so they never have to do it again, but also because Axl still has a bad rep in the general public and it would be nice for people to see what we've been seeing and that people can grow up/evolve etc. Maybe even an appearance at the MTV VMAs to redeem the last one he did and to bring back rock music for the youngsters. :)

I can dream. But yes, Axl is killing it this year. I hope team brazil shows him some of these threads so he knows we're all rooting for him! 

Yes! His demeanor's changed a bit - he's more like his younger self. Love reading all the positive YouTube comments these days; one person said "Axl got his personality back."

Edited by AFGnR
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Modano09 said:

Seeing Axl tickling Slash on stage was just surreal. He's like that girl who ragged on her ex all the time and then they get back together and she's gushing over how great he is. Like if Axl had facebook he'd be tagging Slash in memes every day.

Any link to this? Have to see it :)

12 hours ago, Rickodez said:

If only the jackets and hats were the worst thing...

The creepy old man look off stage was the real worst thing.

Axl-Rose-20130114-1.jpg

AxlRose-StillFat-2.jpg?resize=474%2C515

Omg yeah. He was turning into one of those weird media personalities, like Carrot Top or something. But now he looks more like himself..

0408-axl-rose-broken-leg-signing-autogra

Towards the end of nuGNR he was seemed very worn down and it was sad to watch tbh. But yeah he's turned some things around and seems to be in a better place.

• Like 1

I went through a similar band breakup. The singer and I hated each other for 6 years. When we made amends and got back together it was the greatest feeling and we wrote our best material and are much better friends now than before, so I can imagine for Axl it was that x100 or x1000

• Like 1

I personally think he's on bipolar meds. For someone to go 50 years one way, and then do a 180 and become someone else almost over night? I just don't think it's possible. And that's not to say I am not impressed and/or happy for him or that I am trying to take anything away from him but, there's just no way he could have done this without some sort of medical intervention.

Edited by Nintari
  • Like 1

im almost getting the impression that he feels like he owes it to slash and duff to give it his all... maybe after the bowling alley show and small club gigs not selling out he actually realized he probably wouldnt be where he is now without those two... or maybe slash apologized for whatever it was and that burried the hatchet?  maybe he finally just felt like the fans deserved it... could be a combination of all of that... life doesnt owe us a happy ending but looks like we got one

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nintari said:

I personally think he's on bipolar meds. For someone to go 50 years one way, and then do a 180 and become someone else almost over night? I just don't think it's possible. And that's not to say I am not impressed and/or happy for him or that I am trying to take anything away from him but, there's just no way he could have done this without some sort of medical intervention.

People often have very strong internal shifts with out the help of meds. I can not agree with the last sentence. 

So here comes my first post. 

I cannot believe that I am back on a GNR message board. I was a part of one way back in 2002 when I was in high school. I don't know if this one existed back then, but I was always on the message board back then.

I didn't really discover GNR until my junior year of school. Growing up, I was only allowed to listen to Christian music. When I got older, my parents became more lenient and so I was able to just listen to pop radio. When I worked my first job, a guy I worked with played the GNR CD for me (Use Your Illusion II) and I fell in LOVE. I went out and bought all the GNR music I could find, watched all the performances that I could find, bought some tshirts, became a huge fan. 

After a few years, I just lost my passion. Idk if it had to do with the lack of new music, but I just kind of started listening to newer music. I remember watching Axl perform with Nuguns on some MTV Awards show, maybe '02ish with Buckethead and I just rolled my eyes. I couldn't get into them. I kept hearing about Chinese Democracy, and thought I might give it a shot. But I honestly don't even remember when it came out and by then I really would not have cared. I guess I got tired of Axl's attitude.

When I heard about the Troubadour show, I just couldn't believe it. Then they announced the tour and I knew I had to get tickets right away.

So back in April this year after buying tickets, I rediscovered all of my GNR albums. I think it's been 12 years or so since I've listened to this music and I had forgotten how important it is to me. Some of these songs have brought me to tears and I don't even know how I could have stopped listening. 

Maybe that makes me a fair weather fan, idk, since I never gave Nuguns a chance. But I'm back for the music, got my tickets for the Dallas show and wishing more than ANYTHING that my seats were closer, but I'm in college and on a budget, couldn't afford pit, and have dug out my GNR T shirt that I bought in high school. I can not believe this is happening, never thought it would happen and my passion is back.

With all that being said, Axl's transformation is a miracle. If he really does have mental illness then maybe he found the correct meds, but maybe his passion is back by being back with his old band mates, just like mine is.

17 hours ago, Nintari said:

I don't think this happened overnight. It looks like that but it's not like that. However, I do believe he got into some serious therapy treatment and some kind of medication, not the traditional way, though. 

He just hopelessly fell in love decades ago with one little curly haired, dark skined guitarist who was irritating the shit out of him and yet, no matter how he tried ,he couldn't fight that unfortunate feeling, so he finally surrendered and rightly so, because he can now be happy again ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On July 18, 2016 at 7:03 PM, -W.A.R- said:

i think he finally grew up emotionally. idk what caused it but something clicked and he realized its no sense to his madness.  

Agreed here.

After someone asked the question in the canter banter section asking Marc "what do you think about Axl and slash being friends again?", Marc's answer really said it all. Marc canters response was "you have no idea how much weight this will be off of axls shoulders" and it looks like he was right..

• Like 1