Why aren't they playing...

31 minutes ago, BadApples87 said:

The real question is, why in the hell are they playing ANY of those songs?  Didn't pay big bucks to listen to that nonsense.  The average person going to the show has no idea what those songs are, and the hardcore classic fans aren't coming to hear that stuff.

Because it's guns n roses material. Legally, and it's axls band

7 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

How can anyone be into GN'R and claim to disliking Appetite and songs like 'Brownstone' and 'It's so Easy'? I find that impossible to comprehend!

What's so impossible to comprehend? GnR has more than one album, and I just happen to like most of the Illusions stuff a lot more than the Appetite stuff. I'd choose songs like Coma, Estranged, Dead Horse, Civil War, Yesterdays, Breakdown, 14 Years, Don't Damn Me, Don't Cry, etc. over Brownstone or ISE every time. And I also like Lies, Chinese Democracy, a few of the Spaghetti songs, a lot of Slash's, Duff's and Izzy's solo work... Plenty of stuff out there apart from Appetite.

Besides, it's not like I hate Appetite. Like I said, two of my all time favorite GnR songs are on that record. I just don't think it's the holy grail of music that so many people here make it out to be. To stick with your examples, ISE bores me to death and I don't like the lyrics and Brownstone is just... there. I don't hate it, but I feel no connection to that song and I never have any desire to listen to it. Same goes for most of the songs on there. The only exceptions are Jungle and Rocket Queen, and sometimes also Nightrain, SCOM or TAY.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

What's so impossible to comprehend? GnR has more than one album, and I just happen to like most of the Illusions stuff a lot more than the Appetite stuff. I'd choose songs like Coma, Estranged, Dead Horse, Civil War, Yesterdays, Breakdown, 14 Years, Don't Damn Me, Don't Cry, etc. over Brownstone or ISE every time. And I also like Lies, Chinese Democracy, a few of the Spaghetti songs, a lot of Slash's, Duff's and Izzy's solo work... Plenty of stuff out there apart from Appetite.

Besides, it's not like I hate Appetite. Like I said, two of my all time favorite GnR songs are on that record. I just don't think it's the holy grail of music that so many people here make it out to be. To stick with your examples, ISE bores me to death and I don't like the lyrics and Brownstone is just... there. I don't hate it, but I feel no connection to that song and I never have any desire to listen to it. Same goes for most of the songs on there. The only exceptions are Jungle and Rocket Queen, and sometimes also Nightrain, SCOM or TAY.

All this is fair enough but your original post was far harsher on Appetite than what I have placed in bold above. In your earlier post you stated that nine of Appetite's twelve songs either instigated boredom in you, or were outright hated, or (barely) tolerated (by you), you stating that there are only three songs you like on the record! You ended with, ''can you tell I don't like Appetite all that much''.

1 hour ago, BadApples87 said:

The real question is, why in the hell are they playing ANY of those songs?  Didn't pay big bucks to listen to that nonsense.  The average person going to the show has no idea what those songs are, and the hardcore classic fans aren't coming to hear that stuff.

Look, if setlist would have to be made based on what the average person who goes to this show want to listen to, do you know how long the show would be?

HALF AN HOUR :rolleyes: and this is all they could play:

- November Rain
- Sweet Child O' Mine
- Don't Cry
- Paradise City
- Welcome To The Jungle
- You Could Be Mine

Fair weather fans and casual fans don't know shit about this band. They get way more than they really deserve. I'm very happy they are adding more and more CD songs. It is a reward for all of us who will be paying fat money to see this show and who have not abandoned the ship when it was sinking. I couldn't care less if some nostalgic dude, stuck in the past, is going to the show to delude himself/herself that they are 14 years old again :rofl-lol: I really feel sorry for those people, nothing more, nothing less.

10 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

All this is fair enough but your original post was far harsher on Appetite than what I have placed in bold above. In your earlier post you stated that nine of Appetite's twelve songs either instigated boredom in you, or were outright hated, or (barely) tolerated (by you), you stating that there are only three songs you like on the record! You ended with, ''can you tell I don't like Appetite all that much''.

There are people from a younger generation who grew up with different values and maybe that's why they dont like some of the songs from AFD. Others did grow up with it but have made a personal growth, internal growth that puts them very far from what those lyrics stand for and want nothing to do with them.

I loved AFD the first time I heard it, in the 90's but after 25 years, I'm no longer very fond of some of those songs. Paradise City has become a pest to me. I never liked My Michelle, Anything Goes or Out Ta Get Me. I suppose your taste changes too with the time. I wasn't much a fan of some songs years go but growing up allowed me to understand things about life and finally I could understand those songs too.

I think it is very possible to grow out of love of something you once loved or liked. It's called desinfatuation.

5 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Look, if setlist would have to be made based on what the average person who goes to this show want to listen to, do you know how long the show would be?

- November Rain
- Sweet Child O' Mine
- Don't Cry
- Paradise City
- Welcome To The Jungle
- You Could Be Mine

Fair weather fans and casual fans don't know shit about this band. They get way more than they really deserve. I'm very happy they are adding more and more CD songs. It is a reward for all of us who will be paying fat money to see this show and who have not abandoned the ship when it was sinking. I couldn't care less if some nostalgic dude, stuck in the past, is going to the show to delude himself/herself that they are 14 years old again :rofl-lol: I really feel sorry for those people, nothing more, nothing less.

There are people from a younger generation who grew up with different values and maybe that's why they dont like some of the songs from AFD. Others did grow up with it but have made a personal growth, internal growth that puts them very far from what those lyrics stand for and want nothing to do with them.

I loved AFD the first time I heard it, in the 90's but after 25 years, I'm no longer very fond of some of those songs. Paradise City has become a pest to me. I never liked My Michelle, Anything Goes or Out Ta Get Me. I suppose your taste changes too with the time. I wasn't much a fan of some songs years go but growing up allowed me to understand things about life and finally I could understand those songs too.

I think it is very possible to grow out of love of something you once loved or liked. It's called desinfatuation.

Cam you not contextualise and compartmentalise Appetite in your head while listening to it? When I listen to Appetite I do not scrutinise it by the values of 2016, but see it as embodying a certain sleazy 1980s' cultural experience - and I enjoy it for that, for what it is. In a way it operates like an escapist time machine to that era - although it does have certain universal aspects also.

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Cam you not contextualise and compartmentalise Appetite in your head while listening to it? When I listen to Appetite I do not scrutinise it by the values of 2016, but see it as embodying a certain sleazy 1980s' cultural experience - and I enjoy it for that, for what it is. In a way it operates like an escapist time machine to that era - although it does have certain universal aspects also.

Yes, I can, otherwise I would have quitted this band so long ago.

I was just trying to explain why I think some people are not very fond of it or some songs on it.

Truth is I don't actually listen to AFD as much as the Illusions or CD. In fact, aside from watching these shows on Periscope every other day, I don't think I have listened to one single song from the actual AFD album in several years now. I listen to them through these shows, never on my own will to play the album at home or wherever.

I'm not much into time machines or anything that has to do with rehashing the past, revolving the past, deluding myself that I'm still 14. No way, José.

But from what Ive read in this forum many are going that route with this "reunion" tour.

22 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well yes, because it's technically one of my least favorite GnR albums and compared to how much most people here seem to love Appetite, I really don't like it all that much  :shrugs:And I didn't change the numbers in my second post. I still only mentioned 2 (or 3 if you count Nightrain) songs that I really enjoy on that album, and 2 more that I can tolerate if I'm in the right mood. I didn't change my opinion about the rest of the songs. Still think they are boring and some I absolutely can't stand.

7 minutes ago, killuridols said:

- November Rain
- Sweet Child O' Mine
- Don't Cry
- Paradise City
- Welcome To The Jungle
- You Could Be Mine

Yeah, I couldn't care less about what the casuals like and want either. Like someone else recently said, if you go to show and pay big money for it and then only know 3 or 4 songs, it's your own fucking fault. I don't mind them playing more CD songs either, at least they bring some variety into the set.

Appetite wasn't actually the first GnR album I bought. The first GnR album I ever bought was the greatest hits one when I was a kid. Then afterwards I bought the UYI records. By the time I got around to buying Appetite I was kind of disappointed by it. Both because I just fell in love with the UYI songs before hearing most of the Appetite songs and also because I disagree with some of the lyrics, yes.

And yes, Paradise City is a pest. :lol: KOHD and PC are the only GnR songs I've ever heard on the radio here and I'm so sick to death of both of them. It's like they don't know there are other GnR songs apart from these two.

10 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Yes, I could (and I have to at times with this band :rolleyes:), but why should I want to? I wasn't even alive during the 80s and feel no particular nostalgia or affection for that era therefore. Also escapism only works if what you're escaping to would be a pleasant situation for you. As a woman, I really don't feel a desire to "escape" into the environment of "Turn around bitch, I got a use for you."

3 minutes ago, Dublinproud said:

Guys what you think the chances are of playing Dead Horse with Axl on guitar on this tour?

That would be amazing, but sadly I don't see it happening. Would love to be wrong though.

• Like 1

It's interesting there are so many diverse opinions on CD songs. I'm trying not to be affected positively or negatively by the fact that they were released under the GnR name and not to judge them in comparison to the classic GnR sound (although I don't think Illusions had a distinctive sound). I can say that I hate IRS and that I don't like TIL because of the lyrics (Axl should have made that solo instrumental album and have it there) but it's becoming one of the highlights of the tour because Axl kills it every damn time. Rhiad is mainly a collage of sounds.. I tend to like Shackler's Revenge. The rest are still sitting in my neutral zone. I prefer to form an opinion from the live renditions in this tour, because imo the overproduction of the album takes away a lot of good things from the songs. So far for me the title track is okay, TWAT was so so, I don't like Better much, I liked Sorry and I'm toward liking Catcher.

10 hours ago, Lumikki said:

Hahaha, yeah you go and do that :lol: I'll fully admit that I have no particular love for OTGM, even though it's one of Axl's best songs singing-wise at the moment. I just think it's really boring and I've never liked it.

But I hate My Michelle, It's So Easy and Anything Goes even more than OTGM. I also don't care for Mr. Brownstone, You're Crazy or Paradise City (though I think PC is a great song, but the lyrics are stupid and I've heard that damn song way too many times already to ever want to hear it again).

Honestly, the only songs I actually like on Appetite are Rocket Queen, Jungle (two of my all time favortie GnR songs) and Nightrain. I can also tolerate SCOM and Think About You if I'm in the right mood. The End. (Can you tell I don't like Appetite all that much? :awesomeface:)

:wow:

I've finally found something to disagree with you. I entirely, completely and totally disagree about Out Ta Get Me and It's So Easy :bitchfight: :lol: OTGM is a simple rock 'n' roll song, but imo it's one of their defining songs in the early years; it's representative of the band's spirit and particularly of Axl's rebellious soul, and this Axl is never boring to me. I want it to be in the setlist forever, or at least as long as Axl has this Ritz look in his eyes when he sings it.

ISE: it goes without saying that I can't relate to the misogynistic lyrics, and in its original country-like form it would be a stupid song, but the guitars and the vocals are so raw, fierce and dark that make it explosive. For me it's the song that, along with Jungle, distinguished the most GnR from those silly LA hairmetal bands. I want it permanently in the setlist as well.

Brownstone: I like it, but I wouldn't mind if it was in rotation with another rocker, Reckless Life for example or one from the Illusions (Pretty Tied Up, Bad Obsession, Dust 'n' Bones).

I don't mind PC and Sweet Child. PC is a classic and it's a good closer for a show; the problem with it is the current live version. SCOM will always be there inevitably, although I bet that even Axl is sick of it. The same for NR.

-------

As for the rest:

Jungle, Nightrain and Civil War should stay as they are, Michelle could be replaced or rotated with something else, Coma could be rotated with Locomotive and Breakdown.

The covers: I could do without LALD and especially KOHD, but they are crowds' favorites. KOHD should be shortened though and make space for another song. The Seeker doesn't bother me; they seem to enjoy playing it and after all it's a 2 minute long song. I like Duff's spot and I'd like one more from TSI.

Slither/Other VR or Slash songs: I hope they'll play at least one of them. Not so much for the songs themselves, but because the symbolism would be huge.

Edited by Blackstar

30 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

Yeah, I couldn't care less about what the casuals like and want either. Like someone else recently said, if you go to show and pay big money for it and then only know 3 or 4 songs, it's your own fucking fault. I don't mind them playing more CD songs either, at least they bring some variety into the set.

Appetite wasn't actually the first GnR album I bought. The first GnR album I ever bought was the greatest hits one when I was a kid. Then afterwards I bought the UYI records. By the time I got around to buying Appetite I was kind of disappointed by it. Both because I just fell in love with the UYI songs before hearing most of the Appetite songs and also because I disagree with some of the lyrics, yes.

And yes, Paradise City is a pest. :lol: KOHD and PC are the only GnR songs I've ever heard on the radio here and I'm so sick to death of both of them. It's like they don't know there are other GnR songs apart from these two.

lol yeah my first album was UYI 2, then UYI 1, then AFD. In that order.

I wasn't so young as you to get the Greatest Hits first, lol, but I had no idea about the existance of AFD until I got into the band and learned more about them. Then I bought the other albums.

Being sick of the old songs have to do with what kind of fan you've been all these years. Fair weather fan is going :dance:about all of this because they quit the band before the band exploded themselves. They never listened or cared about them anymore, so it's logical that they act and feel like all of this is new.

Well, it's not.

And I have not been waiting 25 years for this reunion. Im not the kind to get stuck in a spot and wait until destiny decides for me. No way, I moved on, I got into the nuGNR era. Didn't like a lot of things but at least it wasn't a dark place of nostalgia and delusion about what did not happen. CD came and I had mixed feelings. I had listened to the leaks first, then the album, the shows, it was all so confusing but I still hung around. So to make the drama story short, people like me are fed up of the AFD songs, we want something fresh, something new and I dont see how only a handful of songs from an album that was released under the name of GNR is too much of an annoyance in a setlist of 23 songs, which most belong to the AFD/UYI era.

Edited by killuridols

3 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Seriously... Hardly anyone at these shows even knows CD songs and the reception hasn't been that great. It is perplexing why CD songs are the only songs they change up when they are the weakest part of the show.. Sure there is a group of fans that love it but they are by far in the minority. It is a long show, play a couple for those fans but I would guess that 95% of the fans in the stadium could give a rats ass about CD. 

I dissagree with you Tom, in Pittsburgh the songs from CD got a good reception especially This I Love. i should know I was there

55 minutes ago, killuridols said:

- November Rain
- Sweet Child O' Mine
- Don't Cry
- Paradise City
- Welcome To The Jungle
- You Could Be Mine

Pretty sure the average fan knows Patience, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Civil War at the very least.  One thing for sure, they don't know Catcher in the Rye, CD, Better, or Sorry. 

As for personal growth......crap is crap no matter what age.  CD stinks. 

4 minutes ago, BadApples87 said:

Pretty sure the average fan knows Patience, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Civil War at the very least.  One thing for sure, they don't know Catcher in the Rye, CD, Better, or Sorry. 

As for personal growth......crap is crap no matter what age.  CD stinks. 

Yeah and no one cares if they don't know them. They should not go. They are not real fans. Leave that spot to someone who appreciates the entire setlist. Go to the movies and leave us the f-- alone.

Maybe CD is not what stinks, but someone's personal taste or someone's personal attitude towards life.

Negative people and haters want to ruin it for everybody else if they can't have it their way or if they're having a bad time.

1 minute ago, killuridols said:

Yeah and no one cares if they don't know them. They should not go. They are not real fans. Leave that spot to someone who appreciates the entire setlist. Go to the movies and leave us the f-- alone.

Maybe CD is not what stinks, but someone's personal taste or someone's personal attitude towards life.

Negative people and haters want to ruin it for everybody else if they can't have it their way or if they're having a bad time.

There's a lot of people on here who agree with me as far as no CD songs.  CD represents 20 years of Axl's failure and a slap in the face to the greatness this band was from 85-93.

• Like 1

Music is subjective and everyone's opinion is going to be different. But quite frankly, when i went to see Guns I was really glad to hear Chinese Democracy songs. I thought Slash killed it on the title track, This I Love, and Better. Sorry was sort of a down-time moment but I personally was still glad to hear it. You've all got to realize some people want to hear it and it's not a matter of "Well I don't like it so they should play more of what I like instead" 

Catcher In The Rhye was very up lifting and Slash did a sincerely good effort with the song.

I personnaly feel a lot of tracks of ChDm could fit great with Slash as If The World, Street Of Dreams, IRS and Madagascar. But I'm glad Catcher is the fourth one on the setlist.

There's something for everyone in the setlist. I believe that's why there's so much contention among the fans. And no one type of fan is better than the other. For Killuridols, don't feel sorry for me and others who are older than you and were jamming to the band back in the 80's and wish to relive some of that excitement. I guess that's not what's hip, but hey...that is what's up for a lot of us, and I am not ashamed in the least. 

Speaking for myself, yes, I did lose interest when only Axl and a bunch of hired guns was the only thing remaining of the once unstoppable band that defined modern rock music to me at the time...the band I adored and defended at all costs. I lost interest during that time because after having actually experienced GN'R at their peak, the new Guns were simply a shell. So what Buckethead could play his ass off, he wasn't Slash. If that makes me a fair weather fan, make me sign and I'll wear it. Then look at how long we had to wait for Chinese Democracy, for crying out loud! Yes, I lost interest, but I still listened to AFD, Lies,  Spaghetti, and the Illusions during those years. Here's a fact...you can still love something or someone without liking a lot about it/them..

Feeling sorry for us old heads eh??

You Just wait until you're pushing 40, you'll be looking in the rear-view at times too. 

The fact is...the band is going to play whatever the hell that want. We can either go along for the ride or get off the bus. 

Edited by Tiffani
  • Like 4

The consensus attitude in this thread seems to be "why don't they play the songs I like the most and not the ones I believe suck". It's like many don't recognize the simply truth that their personal taste doesn't represent the majority. This isn't your personal iPod being programmed here. The guys are going to play a combination of their most popular songs, what they enjoy playing, and songs they are trying to introduce to those that may not be as aware of them as the hardcore fans that frequent message boards like this one.

Like it or not, but CD is the most recent and relevant release from the GN'R brand name. It makes sense why they might want to drive up interest and promote that album and the only way to do that is by playing some of the material. I personally know of several lukewarm fans that are starting to warm up to the CD material.

Afterall, they are typically performing around 25 songs per night and only 3-4 are from CD. That's not all that many considering.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

Well yes, because it's technically one of my least favorite GnR albums and compared to how much most people here seem to love Appetite, I really don't like it all that much  :shrugs:And I didn't change the numbers in my second post. I still only mentioned 2 (or 3 if you count Nightrain) songs that I really enjoy on that album, and 2 more that I can tolerate if I'm in the right mood. I didn't change my opinion about the rest of the songs. Still think they are boring and some I absolutely can't stand.

You are acting like Guns have many albums!

The problem with Guns and Appetite is, Appetite has a sort of paramountcy (for Guns) which would be unusual for other bands, but is loosely analogous to what Nevermind the Bollocks is for the Sex Pistols (an one album band to all intents and purposes). The reasons are manifold. Firstly, Guns are notoriously unprolific; they have - at best - five albums of original material, and even that is stretching things a bit considering Lies is little more than an Extended Player whereas Chinese is considered illegitimate by a sizable chunk of the fanbase. Consequentially, GN'R's albums have to work that bit harder than say, Stones albums do for The Rolling Stones; another way to put it would be to say, one single Guns album counts for more of what Guns inherently are, than bands with ten, twenty albums (many of them good and bad). Secondly, Guns, including Nugnr, have relied wholesale on Appetite for their setlists. Thirdly, the majority - not you obviously - regard it as, by far Guns N' Roses' greatest album.

To then dislike it to such a level appears to me to be unusual in the extreme. Hating Appetite does not leave you with many other Guns albums, and to see GN'R life must be surely be something of a hideous endurance test (GN'R played eight Appetite songs at their last show)?

57 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

Yes, I could (and I have to at times with this band :rolleyes:), but why should I want to? I wasn't even alive during the 80s and feel no particular nostalgia or affection for that era therefore. Also escapism only works if what you're escaping to would be a pleasant situation for you. As a woman, I really don't feel a desire to "escape" into the environment of "Turn around bitch, I got a use for you."

I wasn't alive during the 1950s and consequentially have limited direct experience of jukeboxes, girls in bobby socks, Cadillacs, etc., yet Chuck Berry is my rock n' roll idol. I wasn't alive during the hippy era either yet can listen to and enjoy topical songs like 'For What Its Worth', 'Blowin' in the Wind' and 'Ohio'. You have to sometimes contextualise things.

• Like 4

Axl is a great songwriter and singer,but CD lacks of Slash,Izzy and Duff's creativity and sound. That's why the album is not at the same level as AFD or UYI.  Personally I also prefers many Illusions songs over Appetite's but AFD is a unique piece of raw rock which always deserves its own tribute.Plus after many years of mistreatment I want to hear the classic songs like they are meant to be played.

I'm happy with the setlist so far, but in a perfect world I'd like to see this.

It's So Easy

Mr. Brownstone

Chinese Democracy 

Welcome To The Jungle

Double Talkin Jive

Estranged

Live And Let Die

Rocket Queen

You Could Be Mine

Duff solo (rotate w/ Attitude and Raw Power)

This I Love

Civil War

Coma

Slash solo - Godfather

Sweet Child O' Mine

Sorry (rotate w/ Catcher, Street Of Dreams)

Out Ta Get Me

Better

November Rain

Right Next Door To Hell (rotate w/ Locomotive, Pretty Tied Up, Perfect Crime)

Knockin' On Heavens Door

Nightrain

Encore:

Patience (rotate w/ Don't Cry)

Slither

Nice Boys (replacing The Seeker and rotate w/ anything from Guns catologe)

Paradise City

• Like 1