10 Years Ago Tonight

Friday 21.07.2006, Guns N' Roses played the Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre in Glasgow, in what I still regard as the greatest rock n' roll show I've ever seen. It was a really hot summer's night, the crowd were waiting for about 2 1/2 hours before the band came on and you could cut the tension with a knife by the latter stages of the build-up. There were boos and there were thrown drinks, Glasgow's a city where there can be tension in crowds at the best of times but when the band emerged it was like a powder keg blowing. I've seen hundreds of amazing bands since, but I've never felt energy like that in a room again.

I think it was the only time since the early days of the band that Axl actually had to stop the show after 2 songs to ask the crowd to step backwards because they were so intense that people at the front were getting injured.

I wrote a huge review of the show at the time and I tried to go back to find it, but I think it was in one of the concert-specific boards that have either been deleted or archived away from our access. In looking for it, I found a lot of my old posts, cringing at my appalling teenage internet-speak and wide-eyed naivete. I realised I really have grown up on this board... I don't imagine this'll be of much interest to anyone else unless you were there and with the band being the way it is now, it's not really relevant anymore but I decided not to let it pass unmentioned.

Best. Crowd. Ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0NPZjekmnM

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Graeme said:

I think it was the only time since the early days of the band that Axl actually had to stop the show after 2 songs to ask the crowd to step backwards because they were so intense that people at the front were getting injured.

Happened at Buenos Aires in 2014, crowd was nuts. 

Heard great things about this gig from someone else as well, and he's been to loads of concerts. Said the atmosphere was just... electric. Glasgow 2012's crowd wasn't bad, though, certainly more amped up than the London audience.

12 hours ago, Amir said:

Happened at Buenos Aires in 2014, crowd was nuts. 

Heard great things about this gig from someone else as well, and he's been to loads of concerts. Said the atmosphere was just... electric. Glasgow 2012's crowd wasn't bad, though, certainly more amped up than the London audience.

Yeah, that word gets thrown about too much with relation to atmosphere, but in this instance it was totally appropriate. The Glasgow 2012 crowd was good, but GN'R came on less than an hour after Thin Lizzy finished, so you didn't have the same build-up. 2006 felt appropriately 'dangerous'.

The annoying thing is that GNROSAS recorded every 2006 show in England and Ireland in excellent quality, but this one show in Scotland was the only one that didn't get a high-quality bootleg.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Graeme said:

Same thing happened when i saw guns in Stockholm Sweden 2006.. Crowd Went nuts when they had not seen Axl/gnr since -93.  :headbang:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PipVi1oBBY   Just a clip from KOHD Stockholm 2006

Edited by estranged_85