Hypothetical New Music

We all know that Guns' main focus right now is the NITL tour (the first Foxboro show was AWESOME) but I'd like to take a second to talk about a hypothetical new GnR album. If it does happen (PLEASE), what do you want it to sound like? A raw, dirty rock record in the vein of AFD or the Conspirators? Chinese Democracy II plus Slash and Duff? Velvet Revolver with Axl on vocals? Or maybe a mix of all of these styles? Just curious to see what the fanbase wants from new music.

I think Axl takes advantage of his more power vocals and steers clear of his clean voice. If he does use a clean voice it will be surrounded with rasp. I think it will be a fast record and in many ways a throwback to AFD to see if they can rebuild that sound and make that more classic rock record versus experimental 

I'd want to hear a mixture of CD II w/Slash and Duff, scrapped VR material with Axl vocals, 1993-1996 scrapped work, and new material entirely. They have tons of this material, if they really worked on everything we could have a double album or a single album with 14-16 songs.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

I think Axl takes advantage of his more power vocals and steers clear of his clean voice. If he does use a clean voice it will be surrounded with rasp. I think it will be a fast record and in many ways a throwback to AFD to see if they can rebuild that sound and make that more classic rock record versus experimental 

this is so true... people talk a lot about "mickey mouse" axl live but he also mickey mouses his way through a lot of Chinese Democracy - right off the top of my head Street of Dreams comes to mind - now that he's 'rediscovered' his old, raspy voice I'd love for the clean voice to be dropped entirely in the studio

• Like 1

I always see GNR as writing songs from

the heart. When they were dirty street kids they wrote dirty songs. When they got a bit more money they wrote songs like their heroes. When Axl was down out in Malibu he wrote about that. 

Soooo...i have no idea! No maybe something with renewed vigor and creativity with a litttle more perspective than the UYI era. 

It might be a little more mature and self conscious but maybe nailing a sound somewhere between UYI and CD. 

It should be a raw, stripped down UYI kind of record. 

A wide ranged rock record including ballads, blues rockers, mid tempo and fast hard rockers. Let Axl play the piano once again while Slash plays the fuck out of that song with his guitar...

• Like 2

But they aren't doing a stripped down UYI sound live on this tour?

It's kind of Slash's take on new GNR. Slash will play what is needed for Axl's songs. But we might get some Slash/Duff rockers that Axl adds some rant lyrics to but he has said not much interest in that. 

What about a double album UYI style? One side hard rocking tracks written by Slash Duff Fortus and maybe Izzy kinda like UYI I, the other one, just like UYI II, a bit more experimental and ambitious which would be Axls material from before and around CD. I'd be down for that

7 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Insider Info:

The album currently being worked on has a working title of "Music To Dance In The Halls To" 

For real? Sounds very slashy, the kinda titles he had for WOF like Music To Murder Your Girlfriend By:slash: 

Also remember Axl saying Appetite was a record that had songs that were made to be able to dance to. If that's true I'm so stoked

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

Appetite and Use Your Illusion. I hope they scrap any and all songs that sound like Chinese Democracy material Including thoughts of a remix album. The record didn't sell all that well In 2008 and It will not sell well now rehashing the same songs.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nickishere12345 said:

We all know that Guns' main focus right now is the NITL tour (the first Foxboro show was AWESOME) but I'd like to take a second to talk about a hypothetical new GnR album. If it does happen (PLEASE), what do you want it to sound like? A raw, dirty rock record in the vein of AFD or the Conspirators? Chinese Democracy II plus Slash and Duff? Velvet Revolver with Axl on vocals? Or maybe a mix of all of these styles? Just curious to see what the fanbase wants from new music.

i want it to sound like GNR

it will take axl, izzy, slash, duff and a drummer to write it

and to record it

its that simple

9 hours ago, wasted said:

But they aren't doing a stripped down UYI sound live on this tour?

It's kind of Slash's take on new GNR. Slash will play what is needed for Axl's songs. But we might get some Slash/Duff rockers that Axl adds some rant lyrics to but he has said not much interest in that. 

You're in the wrong thread dude.

It's not about what you believe new music will sound like, nor if a record will be released at all .

It's about how do you want a new GNR record to sound like. And that's what I've written.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Free Bird said:

It's not about what you believe new music will sound like, nor if a record will be released at all .

It's about how do you want a new GNR record to sound like. And that's what I've written.

Isn't this just the same thing? :question:

6 hours ago, Free Bird said:

3 hours ago, Jw224 said:

Isn't this just the same thing? :question:

Not quite but what you want dies so quick I forgot to dream. 

I'm open to anything. I always felt GNR would make a looser double cd with more Exile on Main Street production. Almost a live record in the studio with a wide range of under produced material - but they seem to have done this kind of stuff on solo records. 

But right now I want a cd of various productions. Some old school AFD type songs, some UYI type songs, some CD songs and some newer NITL line up songs. 

I would start the album with some 96 retro style material from Slash and Duff, then segueway into UYI era type production with Slash really helping Axl in that Estranged/NR way, but then some CD era stuff with keyboard/electronica influences, then some newer sound which would be Slash's more modern take on GNR. 

I would almost present the material as a re-mix album or in the style of an UNKLE album with Axl putting in soundscapes and quotes to hold the varying productions together. A little like Love by the Beatles. Retro inside the mixer. 

Edited by wasted
Into the Mix

A new Guns N Roses album "Area 51 Revisited" is set to hover over small towns in late 2017. Mercurial lead singer Axl Rose is also slated to present a new episode of Ancient Aliens: Nefretti and the origins of the iPhone to air Nov 23, 2017. 

• Like 1