Does this pretty much confirm Duff was GNRs saving grace?

Duff definitely played the biggest role in this, when that Uproxx video came out with Marc Canter talking about reuniting Axl and Slash in one room it was Duff who came out quickly and said "I don't know what the fu*k Marc is doing or why he's saying this" likely bc it came at a sensitive time in the healing process for Axl and Slash and the last thing Duff needed was for this chance mini doc to throw everything out the window.

Ultimately it was Axl that had to make the phone call and at the end I think it's a reunion done his way and how he wanted it, so Slash had to understand the situation wasn't perfect, he's still in Axl's version of gnr, but he made that sacrifice to get this thing going. 

So all in all they each played the role they needed to to make this happen. Very happy that it's happened now and we can see what it can evolve into...this feels like the very early stages for a new band. 

I assume Duff got to feeling comfortable talking to Axl again, and just blurted out, "Hey, I would fucking love for us to play together again. Ya know, man?!"

Axl contemplated, Does he mean "Slash"....? Yeah, me too.

Duff sees that WAR is thinking about it and he earnestly continues, "We were huge and great, and we all really fucked it up."

There's not an Original Five that doesn't completely agree that each one of them had a hand in fucking it up; and each one of them has a chance to make it right, and enjoy it this time around. Axl, to his credit, just seems to be in such an excellent mindset these days. Duff, Axl, and Slash agree. Steven's foaming at the mouth, and obviously proving to all three that he's on the right track - More to come. Where's Izzy???

A couple tidbits I picked up.

Somewhere I heard something about Axl said saying he was 'trying to repair some relationships' Don't remember where I heard that.

Also Sebastian Bach had this to say:
“I always thought that if you can go through my interviews and bulls—, all of the animosity from Axl toward Slash or anybody else in Guns N’ Roses, he would hang out and we would drink a lot of booze and talk about bulls—, this and that,” said Bach. “But at the end of every single night going into the early morning or late afternoon, he would always say, ‘But Bas, never say never.’ He would always end the night with a ‘but you never can tell, you know, maybe someday.’ One part of me was surprised and the other part was not surprised.”

Edited by passenger57

Depends whether you feel the reunion "saved" the band or not, I guess...

10 hours ago, Slash787 said:

Duff seems a guy who just gels along with people, the NuGNR members heard things about the reunion from the crew and not from Axl himself 

See, doesn't that sound awful? Someone's been brought in to help out while one of your colleagues is away and starts plotting behind the scenes for you to lose your job and replace you with their old friends?

I find nothing admirable about the morals of this reunion whatsoever.

Per Duff's 2nd book about the time when he joined Guns on their tour:

The night before the show, Axl and I took some time to hang out and chill, just the two of us. We talked about how the altitude was affecting us, and then the conversation morphed into a discussion of some things past. It was a natural conversation of things we did and didn’t remember about our old band. It was a really good, cleansing experience that sort of gave me a second wind. Talking about things that may be lodged and stuck from the past, things that may still cause friction of sorts in your current life, always seems to have a lifting effect on us humans. I recommend it.

Maybe that was the start of Axl being willing to have a similar conversation with Slash.

Once Axl and Slash were willing to speak to each other it was probably only a matter of time before they started being musical at each other. Isn't that what drew them to each other in the first place? They probably wouldn't even have to be friends again before they started wanting to do their thing together again. Even if just for one last time for old times sake (hopefully not!).

I personally think it is clear in the book that Duff was really, really wanting the old gang to get back together. He loves all of his bands and won't say anything negative about any of them if he can help it, and he won't let himself dwell on things he can't help, but he seems to see old Guns as more special than the others. Not only that, Axl and Slash are Duff's friends. He would want his friends to be happy too. And resentment does no one any good (the two chapters he wrote about Axl and Guns were titled Let Go of Resentments Vol I & II).

10 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

After reading Duff's book, I would say he is the peacemaker of the band and of life in general.

He seemed to be the nice guy who tried to keep it together when everyone was falling apart.

Duff's the guy who talked to Axl when both of them had a few of the same issues. He got along with Steven and Slash and Izzy.

Duff doesn't seem to judge people. He knows we all have faults and he accepts them.

I think when he met up with Axl in 2010 that was the moment for a GNR reunion.

Considering the hell he's gone through since childhood I'd say he's a pretty together person now.

I think GNR is better for it.

Duff seems to be a good man but I don´t think he is that peacemaker, remember he (and Slash) sued Axl over licensing and other things (years ago).

8 hours ago, killuridols said:

Because clowns don't run the circus...

Susan doesn't play any instrument in the band but ever since she married Duff she's made part of his world. His world is not only his family. GN'R was his creation too. As for Axl, I don't think he is the person you think he is anymore. He's changed and if something he wanted the most is to have Duff and Slash back with him. He's not going to jeopardize that with a little tantrum. Hell, the guy is even scared of writting his biography for fear of making the other guys look like liers. Duff handles himself very well, he knows how to treat Axl and he's always been there for him.

You've followed rock n' roll enough? So have I. However, seems like you haven't followed GN'R lately :shrugs:

GN´R was not Duff´s creation, face it, yes Axl (along with Izzy, specially  A R).

Susan talks too much haha but she is a nice woman, seems to loves his husband and don´t bother Axl (unlike did Perla:lol:).

1 hour ago, Juliette said:

Duff seems to be a good man but I don´t think he is that peacemaker, remember he (and Slash) sued Axl over licensing and other things (years ago).

Well like that Axl called Slash a cancer, we can go on and on, but now the reality is that they are friends again and hugging each other.

Many things happened in the past, but they moved on, it will be better for us fans to move on and be happy. 

I'm guessing 6 things lead to the reunion that we have, and the fact that these all happened around the same time is probably a miracle.

1. It became clear by 2014 that Bumblefoot was leaving, which left an open spot for a guitar player. According to Ashba, Axl originally wanted him AND Slash to share lead.

2. By 2014 it became clear to Axl that Tommy Stinson was going to leave the band. According to things MSL has said over the years, Duff was on call to take over bass when ever Tommy quit, possibly as early as 2010.

3. Duff was back in the band by 2014. We didn't know it at the time, but him filling in for Tommy was likely the beginning of him rejoining. By that time Tommy had probably told Axl that would be his last tour with GnR and the band likely knew Duff was returning. Duff probably would've rejoined with or without Slash, but he was likely able to convince Axl to talk to Slash so they could settle their differences. It wouldn't have been very hard... Duff could've just been hanging with Axl and Slash could've called Duff and Duff could've put Slash on speaker and had Axl talk to him.

4. With Duff and Slash back in the band, and with Sixx AM busy doing their own thing, Ashba decided that his place was with Sixx AM, not with GnR.

5. Pitman got mad because he wasn't being mentioned in the reunion promo, and likely got into an argument with Axl and told him to go fuck himself.

6. Axl was talking to Brain about Pitman leaving and Brain told Axl he had the perfect replacement. And that's where Melissa came in.

8 hours ago, Juliette said:

GN´R was not Duff´s creation, face it, yes Axl (along with Izzy, specially  A R).

Susan talks too much haha but she is a nice woman, seems to loves his husband and don´t bother Axl (unlike did Perla:lol:).

Axl and Izzy started the band but they didn't write AFD and subsequent albums all by themselves so I guess it's safe to say that Duff's contributions on bass and lyrics are essential part on the creation of GNR sound.