AC DC - Backing Vocals

Juliette

Hi. I really like AC DC but I think they are horrible at "backing vocals" department. (For example in various songs, I remember that Axl did the chorus too haha).

What do you think ?

Axl should request to Grandpa Angus to bring Duff and the girl to that band hahahhaha.

:lol:

Edited by Juliette

I got no problem with the backing vocals, Cliff does a great job, Stevie is just ok.....

I don't understand why they stand at the back, they should come forward

like its always Agnus and Brian in the front

• Like 1

Backing vocals in the studio version of Hell's Bells are amazing, they are good also on their last albun, Rock Or Bust (2014), but Stevie is awful doing backing vocals live (And he was even worse at the start of the tour, check the Grammy's 2015 performance)

• Like 1

AC/DC has always had terrible live backing vocals. t's pretty much a part of their sound. :lol:

Macolm's distinct grunt is missed in the current shows. He was the raw example of AC/DC's early chant style backing vocals. Stevie has gotten better, but he's pretty rough. In the first batch of 2015 shows I thought Stevie may have been having trouble with public transit because he kept yelling "walk o' bus!" during the first song of the night.

Cliff has a decent voice if a little lacking in the range department. They should let Slade do some backing vocals - he's got a great voice. He's sang in pretty much all his other bands.

Angus can sing and is featured heavily in the studio but doesn't do much live for obvious reasons.

The backing vocals on the more produced albums (HTH, BIB, FTATR, ROB, etc...) are a mixture of Mutt Lange singing with the boys (and more recently Brandon O'Brien). That's why the vocals on some of those albums are top notch backing vocals. Mutt Lange could sing, and he'd also have Brian and Bon do doubles on the backing vocals so you've got a mix of these strong voices. Add in a touch of Angus, Malcolm, and Cliff to round things out and the sound was huge.

They aren't KISS or Def Leppard so they were never going to be able to pull those off live.

• Like 2

On 24/07/2016 at 9:31 AM, Slash787 said:

I got no problem with the backing vocals, Cliff does a great job, Stevie is just ok.....

I don't understand why they stand at the back, they should come forward

like its always Agnus and Brian in the front

They have to keep out of Angus's way:dance:

I don't mind the backing vocals. I mean they are perfect singers or anything. And maybe I'm just not used to hearing them, but the backing vocals on like Dirty Deeds are fucking mean. "dirty deeds and they're done dirt cheap" in that deep accent, fucking mean.

Edited by J Dog

6 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

Of course they are recorded.

ACDC always had great backing vocals in studio Love At First Feel, Touch Too Much, Mistress For Christmas and so on. It's part of the sound.

yeah i know that NOW, i did not know before. this stuck out like a sore thumb IMO :facepalm:

Just now, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

yeah i know that NOW, i did not know before. this stuck out like a sore thumb IMO :facepalm:

Yes it is the recording version of the song, not live at all. :) But I agree the backing vocals are very light on the High Voltage album, I tend to like it, very juvenile in the sound. 

• Like 1

Just now, Silent Jay said:

Yes it is the recording version of the song, not live at all. :) But I agree the backing vocals are very light on the High Voltage album, I tend to like it, very juvenile in the sound. 

it's one of my favorites. right now Rock and Roll Damnation is in heavy rotation for me :P

6 hours ago, J Dog said:

I don't mind the backing vocals. I mean they are perfect singers or anything. And maybe I'm just not used to hearing them, but the backing vocals on like Dirty Deeds are fucking mean. "dirty deeds and they're done dirt cheap" in that deep accent, fucking mean.

What accent is it exactly though? Ive never heard such weird accents :lol:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

it's one of my favorites. right now Rock and Roll Damnation is in heavy rotation for me :P

Love it, the whole album had great backing vocals Love At First Feel for exemple :) You should check the longer version, they are a couple of lyrics missing at the end, one of my favorite part for sure!

• Like 1