Tommy Stinson speaks on GNR: "All of those people are my friends"

Just now, Fitha_whiskey said:

The guy who hung out with him in KC said Tommy told him everyone backstage thought they'd seen a ghost...

That's awesome, haha. I've really grown a lot of respect for Tommy in these last few months. I've never disliked him but always got the "he's just there for a paycheck" vibe. Even if that was true, he was in the band for ages and is showing a ton of respect for things now. He's really cool

• Like 1

I really have a newfound respect for the guy. Not that I ever had anything against him. But based on this interview he seems like a nice fellow. It's cool to see that he is happy for the other guys. It tells a lot (positive things) about his character.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Tom,y has been awesome about all of this. Funny that he literally just went like a normal fan. Hope Axl knew he was there and they hung out a bit

This is what I liked that he went as a normal fan, he din't show any attitude nor he did anything for attention, he got free drinks for the fans and just enjoyed the show.

Before also he mentioned that all of them just left it at Vegas and whenever he gets the call, he would be there.

He din't have any high hopes, he knew how the band worked and knows what Axl is like. Its good there was no crying or bitching unlike Pitman. 

10 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

That's awesome, haha. I've really grown a lot of respect for Tommy in these last few months. I've never disliked him but always got the "he's just there for a paycheck" vibe. Even if that was true, he was in the band for ages and is showing a ton of respect for things now. He's really cool

I go to work just for a paycheque without actually caring much about what I do, but I'm still friends with many of my coworkers. The work and the people are not the same thing. I can easily see him not being into the music itself but enjoying the time with the band anyway.

I always liked Tommy. He seemed a litlle dorkish and an asshole, but I guess that's why I liked him the most :D

And based on his interviews after he left, he seems very cool and friendly like toward Axl and the rest of the guys

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jekylhyde said:

I really have a newfound respect for the guy. Not that I ever had anything against him. But based on this interview he seems like a nice fellow. It's cool to see that he is happy for the other guys. It tells a lot (positive things) about his character.

Same here.

I was indifferent about him before..the most I thought was that "this is the drunk guitarist who is here for a paycheck and nothing less". 

Apparently he proved us wrong. Tommy Stinson, ya da man! What a cool guy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slash787 said:

I never liked Tommy, but I really like this attitude of his.

I wish Ron and Pitman had this attitude. 

If you think it was frustrating to be a fan having Axl promising this and that eventually, maybe, possibly , etc, imagine how frustrating it'd be being in the band? I can see why those guys might be annoyed they spent so much time in a band expecting to actually do something and nothing came of it. 

4 hours ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Very cool of Tommy to say. I always thought he was very unhappy in GnR and didn't like anybody in the band. Obviously not the case! 

Things are not always as they appear, especially when it's GnR...

Fortus and Frank were both brought in by Tommy. Tommy was the most essential new GnR member. Once he left, it was over.

4 hours ago, Slash787 said:

I think the difference is Tommy was already a legend in his own closing time with the Mats. He gave 17 years to Guns almost as a favor. It was all gravy. He returns to still being a legend but now richer. 

Whereas Ron and Pitman kind of worked their asses off to eventually return to oblivion. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

So, I’m going to see them in Philadelphia with some friends because I had such a good time. It was fantastic. It was great to see it on the other side and not having to be in it. And I mean that as no disrespect. But, when you’re in it — when you’re in the cacophony with the ear monitors — you can’t really appreciate what the fans see on the other side. I want to watch it as a show and hang out with the people and go, “Fuck! This is goddamn fun.” It’s been fun for me. I’m not an ambassador of goodwill because I need to be. They’re my friends and I’m glad for them. They’re having fun, so I’m going to go see them and say “Hi” to my buddies.

That was so nice to read. 

Well said Tommy.

Anybody know where his friend said the thing about everyone backstage thinking they'd seen a ghost? Any more info about the vibe, who he saw etc?

To the people questioning to what extent he did it just for the money: that's absolutely untrue. I spent a lot of time with him when he toured with Jesse Malin in 2004 and would ask him endless questions about Chinese and when he openly and happily talked about it he had this huge grin and twinkle in his eye and would always say "Just you wait. It's fucking epic, man. You're gonna love it." 

If you go back and read/listen to the literally hundreds of interviews he's done for Guns/The Mats/his solo stuff over the past 15+ years you'll notice two things: he doesn't sugar coat anything and he really loves Axl and being in Guns, even if it's a pain in the ass sometimes.

And i'm saying all this as someone who resents him for being a complete dick to Bucket and making him want to leave the band. 

21 hours ago, Slash787 said:

Ron? what has he ever said that was negative about the reunion? he just doesn't want to talk about it or give websites sound-bites. He essentially said he's happy for them, but he doesn't really want to go see them play.

I didn't have much time for Stinson up until 2006, after that I was a fan. I especially liked him after hearing Motivation and One man mutiny.

As for Pitman, he bad mouthed them because he got pissed about his position within the band. That's not the way to handle yourself.