Star Trek Discovery

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Is this a reboot?

Yes it is a new TV series staring in 2017 which is independant of the current movies or old series characters from what I read..........will have all new characters............

http://trekmovie.com/2016/07/23/breaking-fuller-announces-new-series-titled-star-trek-discovery/

5 minutes ago, classicrawker said:

Yes it is a new TV series staring in 2017 which is independant of the current movies or old series characters from what I read..........will have all new characters............

http://trekmovie.com/2016/07/23/breaking-fuller-announces-new-series-titled-star-trek-discovery/

According to that it is in the 'prime' timeline and not the Abrams alternative timeline.

Kadin said that women and LGBTQ characters (on and off screen) will be important to Star Trek Discovery.

Oh dear!

52 minutes ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

And not available to watch in the US and Canada.

The Pilot will be aired on regular CBS for free but after that I believe  Americans and Canadians will have to pay for the priviledge by subscribibng to CBS ALL Access streaming service which costs $5.98 a month.  For the rest of the world they will have to pay via Netflix.......

At least that is what I got out of the news articles about the new show...............:shrugs:

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

According to that it is in the 'prime' timeline and not the Abrams alternative timeline.

Kadin said that women and LGBTQ characters (on and off screen) will be important to Star Trek Discovery.

Oh dear!

The LGBTQ community is out of the closet  now and culturally  it is becoming more accepted everyday in progressive cultures so I find it curious some people are hung up that they will now appear on TV shows and in Movies.........we think nothing about James Bond shagging all the beautiful women in the Bond movies but there seems to be anger by some over LGBTQ characters now being integrated into our visual media............I am not trying to criticize  you DD just making an observation based on posts I have read on several forums lately............

But back on topic it sounds like the new series will bring it back closer to the old TV show timelines and history..Also I read it ill nto be a recurring serial format so each show may stand on its own related to the story line..........I think this is good as it allows them to be more flexible with their story plots to keep things fresh.........

Edited by classicrawker

2 hours ago, classicrawker said:

But back on topic it sounds like the new series will bring it back closer to the old TV show timelines and history..Also I read it ill nto be a recurring serial format so each show may stand on its own related to the story line..........I think this is good as it allows them to be more flexible with their story plots to keep things fresh.........

If it is in the prime timeline that presupposes two things: that it will chronologically succeed the final episode of Star Trek Voyager and the film Star Trek: Nemesis, or that it will be a sort of prequel, inserted earlier into the time frame à la Enterprise (which chronologically occurred between first contact and events in the original series).

Just speculation on my part but that ship looks rather retro, but then so was the Enterprise-E. The registration number is also suspiciously low, lending one to speculate a prequel of sorts in which case they will have to be careful not to imitate Enterprise too much - or for that matter the Abrams rubbish.