Re-Recording Appetite?

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

If there's ever an AFD re-release, I would want different mixes like you're saying. On top of the Nightrain mix you mentioned, I would LOVE to get the rest of the album as a "dry mix" like the version of Brownstone that's out there. 

Remixes are definitely a more interesting proposition than a remaster. I would also like to hear remixed illusions with less reverb on it. But new music would be the best. 

11 hours ago, Caught_in_a_Coma said:

I believe NuGuns re-recorded Appetite way back when

Didn't they release a recording of Sweet Child back in the day that NuGuns recorded the second half of? Was it played during the credits of an Adam Sandler movie or something? Am I crazy?

• Like 1

A company called Analogue Productions took the original Doors master tapes from the late 60s and remastered them to release on vinyl.  They are some of the greatest sounding albums I've ever heard.

I wish they would do the same with AFD.   I wish I knew an industry lawyer to negotiate the rights for the album to begin a Kickstarter to do the remaster.  Many audiophiles say the original album does a fine job but I would have to think that master tapes from the 80-90s would have just as much potential as those from the late 60s.  

On 7/27/2016 at 7:38 PM, Tom-Ass said:

Didn't they release a recording of Sweet Child back in the day that NuGuns recorded the second half of? Was it played during the credits of an Adam Sandler movie or something? Am I crazy?

Something like that sounds familiar.  Anyone else heard about NuGuns re-recording AFD stuff?

On 7/25/2016 at 2:22 AM, Deniz said:

Josh Fletcher, the guy who posted a bunch of pro-shot snippets of what seems to be an upcoming dvd of the tour on his youtube channel just uploaded this:

Are they re-recording Apetite for a 30th year re-issue?

this 30s clip is everything you need to know about richard fortus and frank ferrer

these guys dont belong to GNR

i am really hoping that they both can do a RICK DUFAY sooner than later

On 27/07/2016 at 10:38 PM, Tom-Ass said:

This is correct, they re-recorded the whole album during CD sessions and released SCOM on the ending of (terrible) movie called Big Daddy or something like that. 

AC/DC is rerecording “Back in Black.”  Aerosmith is rerecording “Toys in the Attic.”  Rumor has it that Elvis is rerecording his ’68 comeback special.  Only in the land of Axl Rose is such ridiculousness of rerecording an iconic album—the best-selling debut album ever—contemplated and offered as reasonable consideration.  Jesus, Mary and Joseph.

Axl Rose has released 15 songs of original material in 25 years.  And counting.  I get the spirit.  I really do.  But it reeks of mothball desperation and is every bit as stupefying as posing scenarios about Norman Greenbaum or J.D. Salinger.  A quarter of century is, well, a quarter of a century.  All together now:  15 songs of original material (that was mocked and ignored and landed on Wikipedia’s list of worst ever albums) in 25 years.  And counting.  Facts are our friends.

Meanwhile, Slash pumps out multiple charting singles every two years.  Slash and Duff broke a second time in VR and won a Grammy.  Izzy has a mountain of grass roots solo material.  And even Adler has kicked out badass rockers like “Good to be Bad.”

Axl Rose isn’t the sharpest knife in the drawer, but if someone slowly explains to him that Slash (and Duff) are currently eviscerating his quarter century of wannabe king childishness, self-indulgence and irrelevance, then we Gn’R fans will hear original Gn’R music.  I’m set either way.  If Axl Rose waffles with Slash and Duff in the fold, I’ll be cranking my next killer Slash MKC album in the very near future.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, default_ said:

This is correct, they re-recorded the whole album during CD sessions and released SCOM on the ending of (terrible) movie called Big Daddy or something like that. 

Yup, Big Daddy was going to be my guess. Bizarre times.. I remember sitting through the credits to hear it now.

17 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Yup, Big Daddy was going to be my guess. Bizarre times.. I remember sitting through the credits to hear it now.

6 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

And thinking, what a travesty? Cos I did.

I remember hearing it and thinking the same thing. 

Total guess on my part, but I believe the first 16 seconds is from Paris 92, then it switches to the new recording at the 17 second mark when you hear the little kid for no reason whatsoever:

edit- @Slash787 just posted the same clip. My bad y'all

• Like 1

In listening to it again for the first time in ages, I think it actually swiches back and forth between to old lineup and new lineup throughout the whole thing, but Axl's vocals are totally new. 

An example of the switching is at 2:41 where I think it's Slash playing the solo even though there's some weird echo on his guitar at first for some reason. Then I think it fades into Robin and the new line up at the 3:09 mark. 

3 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I remember hearing it and thinking the same thing. 

Total guess on my part, but I believe the first 16 seconds is from Paris 92, then it switches to the new recording at the 17 second mark when you hear the little kid for no reason whatsoever:

The part till Slash's solo is from Live Era with Axl's new re recorded vocals,  the where do we go part is the New GNR studio recording with Robin on the lead. 

I did read somewhere that Axl liked that little kid saying Figaro Figaro so he approved it to be on the song for God knows what reason. 

11 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

And thinking, what a travesty? Cos I did.

I honestly can't remember 100% .. I was really into what Axl was doing at the beginning.. I don't think I thought much of it either way.. SCOM is my favorite solo of all time so I am sure there was a good chance that it was slightly offensive ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

In listening to it again for the first time in ages, I think it actually swiches back and forth between to old lineup and new lineup throughout the whole thing, but Axl's vocals are totally new. 

An example of the switching is at 2:41 where I think it's Slash playing the solo even though there's some weird echo on his guitar at first for some reason. Then I think it fades into Robin and the new line up at the 3:09 mark. 

1 minute ago, Slash787 said:

The part till Slash's solo is from Live Era with Axl's new re recorded vocals,  the where do we go part is the New GNR studio recording with Robin on the lead. 

I did read somewhere that Axl liked that little kid saying Figaro Figaro so he approved it to be on the song for God knows what reason. 

Yeah, I think you're right. I think I'm wrong overall above, but I might be right on where exactly it switches. I think the 3:09 mark might be right where it happens.

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

Yeah, I think you're right. I think I'm wrong overall above, but I might be right on where exactly it switches. I think the 3:09 mark might be right where it happens.

Yeah 3:09 mark is the switch, before that its Live Era with Axl's new recorded vocals. 

Basically the main solo divided in two parts like how Ashba and Ron did.

In this case its Slash and Robin. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tom-Ass said:

I honestly can't remember 100% .. I was really into what Axl was doing at the beginning.. I don't think I thought much of it either way.. SCOM is my favorite solo of all time so I am sure there was a good chance that it was slightly offensive ;)

I was too, but when I heard that SCOM, I started to worry about his musical sense of direction, a lot :lol:  I still can't press play on those clips, it's too much horror. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

What was he thinking?

''I'll take a performance of a song from 1987 from Paris in 1992 (this is 1999ish) and splice it midway with a re-recording I have done recently with an entirely new band'.

I am going to assume that the rest of the songs from AFD and YCBM and whatever else he re recorded, are all done in a similar fashion and really, that is something that he can keep locked away in his vault forever. 

• Like 1

Just now, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I am going to assume that the rest of the songs from AFD and YCBM and whatever else he re recorded, are all done in a similar fashion and really, that is something that he can keep locked away in his vault forever. 

...along with Paul Tobias?

• Like 1