"I don't get the appeal of..." Overrated/Underrated songs

21 hours ago, RONIN said:

All Izzy Stradlin' songs are extremely underrated here, especially the Illusion songs. 

True and some of his songs like Gotta Say and Sweet Caress are so much better than some of the songs on the illusions or songs like Silkworms, Riad, Scarped. 

• Like 1

"I don't get the appeal of this"/Overrated:
- Bad Obsession
(really don't like it and the harmonica make it worst to my ears)

"This is awesome and should get more love"/Underrated:
-Think About You 
(I'm surprised with all the hate this song gets here. I think it's amazing. The acoustic guitar in the middle of the chorus is genius. And the outro is one of the most beautiful things I ever heard from GN'R)
-Sympathy For The Devil
(I know it's 'the sound of the band breaking up', I hate that Axl decided to put that guy playing guitar... but fuck this song was born to be sang by Axl, the misanthropy, the hate, the evil in his voice, good lord :drool: The backing vocals from Duff are also brilliant. It's great version, better than the original IMO)

• Like 1

On 27.7.2016 at 10:27 PM, Slash787 said:

True and some of his songs like Gotta Say and Sweet Caress are so much better than some of the songs on the illusions or songs like Silkworms, Riad, Scarped. 

Yeah Gotta Say and Sweet Caress are awesome and no doubt better than the other 3 abominations lol

On 27.7.2016 at 11:30 PM, dgnr said:

-Sympathy For The Devil
(I know it's 'the sound of the band breaking up', I hate that Axl decided to put that guy playing guitar... but fuck this song was born to be sang by Axl, the misanthropy, the hate, the evil in his voice, good lord :drool: The backing vocals from Duff are also brilliant. It's great version, better than the original IMO)

I kind of agree. It's pretty cool but I always forget it exists for some reason

On 26.7.2016 at 10:50 PM, RussTCB said:

Not to start a song by song debate or derail this into just a debate about one song buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut:

OMG is a song that took forever to click with me. I hated it when it was released. By hated it, I mean that after I heard it the first time I would have listened to Creed's entire catalog on repeat 10x over voluntarily prior to hearing it a second time. I didn't hear it again until some time in the year 2000 or so when a friend played it out of the blue. I spent about the first minute bitching up a storm that he was playing it, then I ended up thinking "Hmm... this isn't as bad as I remember". I listened to it again (on purpose) some time after the 2006 leaks and something clicked. Not sure if it's because I liked the leaks and it seemed to fit more with those or what. Nowadays, I flat out love the song and count it among my favorite GN'R songs if I'm being honest.

P.S. I adore Locomotive. Not sure if I love it more than Coma, but I like it at least as much. 

That song took a while to grow on me as well. When I first heard it I didn't like it at all, but by now I more or less like it. Though I don't love it. But I wouldn't skip it if it came up. I also like the lyrics of that one.

Edited by Frey

Overrated:

Patience - It was fine when I was getting to know the band, but now I'm glad when they don't play it live... it sounds boring as hell.

Don't Cry (Original) - I love the guitar work, but I'm very driven by lyrics... if there was no Alt. Version, the original wouldn't be in my list... that's how much better I find the Alt. version...

Sweet Child - One of the best solos ever written in Rock History, but I think this song falls into the same scenario as Patience, I guess I've listened to it so many times that I grew tired of it.

Underrated:

Catcher in the Rye and Don't Damn Me: as I said, I'm very driven by lyrics, and these two songs have so well built lyrics in therms of conception/meaning. They talk about human behavior in a way that really touches those who have experienced the struggles of depression...

If the World - Ok, as someone driven by lyrics, this song shouldn't have a place in this part of the list... but it has some of the best Axl vocals ever and an AMAZING guitar work!

Bad Apples - What a great work duff did on that one...

Bad Obsession - IT'S A CRIME that this band hasn't played it live since the 90's... it's AWESOME on so many levels that I can't put on a list. It's heavy, dirty, sarcastic, funky, you can dance along to it... love every bit of it!

Overrated by general public:

Sweet Child O' Mine, Knockin´On Heavens Door, Paradise City, Civil War

Overrated by fans:

One In A Million , Locomotive, Breakdown, Madagascar

----------------------------------------------------------

Underrated by general public:

Coma, Oh My God, Don't Damn Me,There Was A Time, Prostitute, Catcher In The Rye, Locomotive, Pretty Tied Up,

Underrated by fans:

Black Leather, Sympathy For The Devil, Bad Apples, Anything Goes, Live and Let Die

Edited by Lies They Tell

Breakdown. Seems like a forum elite thing where it gets ranked up there with Locomotive, Coma, Estranged, etc.

I enjoy bits and pieces of it but I've never understood the level of praise it gets from certain people on here.

• Like 1

I don't get the appeal of Steven playing on Estranged or November Rain.

In all seriousness...

I don't get the appeal of :

- There Was a Time

- It's So Easy

-Coma

-Patience

Songs I find to be way underrated:

-Madagascar. Passionate singing and some truly fantastic guitar work. Best song off CD by far.

- The 14 years and Yesterdays couple. Always forgotten when mentioning UYI II.

- This I Love. The lyrics are good as they are. As an instrumental, the song while overblown, would h1ve fit right at home on UYI. With  raspier and less multitracked vocals it would be perfect.

Edited by EvH