"I don't get the appeal of..." Overrated/Underrated songs

Since we've been having a lot of song discussion recently, how about this: What are some commonly well-liked and popular songs that you don't like and don't get the appeal of?

You CAN'T name songs like:

My World, Get In The Ring, Anything Goes, Back off Bitch, Scraped, Rhiad, Silkworms, Oh My God  or anything else that gets a lot of hate. It has to be something that seems reasonably well-liked and appreciated by a lot of people (or at least more than a few).

And conversely, what are some songs that you think don't get enough love here/are criminally under-appreciated?

My choices would look like this:

"I don't get the appeal of this"/Overrated:

- Used To Love Her

- It's So Easy

- Don't Cry (standard version)

- Chinese Democracy

- TIL

"This is awesome and should get more love"/Underrated:

- 14 Years

- DTJ and Dust and Bones

- Prostitute

- The Garden

- Street of Dreams

• Like 1

- TWAT

- Sorry

- Estranged

- Locomotive

- Perfect Crime

- 14 Years

- DTJ 

- Prostitute

- Dust and Bones

- Breakdown

Oh My God is a song which is very over rated in the GNR community, its a weird song, I won't even call it a GNR song and 80% of the fans don't even know that this songs exists, but usually on forums and all its too over rated

Locomotive is a very underrated song, they should play it more often. I honestly prefer Locomotive than Coma. 

• Like 3

- Coma

- Think About You

- My World

- Double Talkin' Jive

- Bad Obsession 

- Locomotive

- Breakdown 

- Shackler's Revenge

- Sympathy For The Devil

- Don't Damn Me

Edited by SlashMartin

- Prostitute
Not the best song to close the album with either.

- KOHD – the CURRENT version
But I dig that, I like the song. All I'm saying is I'd like it to have a bit of that 90s vibe again.

- Shotgun Blues
I mean, for fuck's sake, it is a killer song, great lyrics, and basically sort of represents the UYI / early 90s GN'R for me! A kick-ass piece that would suit every greatest hits or whatever.

- Slash's solos on ChinDem songs
Absolutely awesome. But I take it that's for another discussion.

- Street of Dreams
One of the most Guns N' Roses songs from ChinDem. However, I don't think this one has been bashed that much.

- Sympathy for the Devil
Goosebumps Every. Single. Time
If Slash didn't say it was the sound of a band breaking up, hardly anybody would badmouth it so much imo.

- Breakdown  

- Don't Damn Me

Etc.

• Like 1

About 50% of Appetite (But especially My Michelle and It's So Easy.)

About 80% of TSI

Perfect Crime

Pretty Tied Up

Right Next Door To Hell

You Ain't The First

November Rain? (I mean I get the appeal in theory, it's just mostly lost its appeal for me over the years, same with SCOM and Patience.)

KOHD (The only good thing about this is Axl chatting and joking around during that song in shows. Apart from that I never want to hear it again.)

You Could Be Mine

The Garden

Used To Love Her

Chinese Democracy (This is such a lame and boring song. It never goes anywhere and the chorus is weak. I don't get why they keep playing this <_<)

This I Love (Very nice as an instrumental version, but can't deal with those lyrics :scared:)

Catcher In The Rye

14 Years (My favorite Izzy song!)

Don't Damn Me

Garden Of Eden (Why does no one seem to like that one? It's so fast and fun! "The fire is burning and it's out of control, it's not a problem you can stop, it's rock n roll!")

Shotgun Blues (Despite the crappy lyrics it gets to be here, because I just love some parts of that song. "And I'm tired of the frustration, of living inside of your lies...")

Breakdown (This is art.)

Yesterdays (:wub:)

So Fine

Ain't It Fun (Best song on TSI imo, would love to hear that live. And also get Mike Monroe while we're at it.)

Street Of Dreams (My favorite CD song! It would have deserved to become a radio hit and it deserves to get played instead of fucking CD or TIL :max:)

Prostitute (Art. And perfect ending for the album.)

Madagascar (Beautiful.)

Sorry

Shackler's Revenge

Don't Cry alt. (much prefer it to the regular version)

Crash Diet (I wish there was a proper studio version of this :max:)

• Like 1

Great idea in theory, but this is going to turn ugly in no time when people start calling each other's selections crazy.  One guy love Shotgun Blue & Breakdown while another 30 hate it.  The OP is talking songs but I'd like to nominate an album if I may....

Overrated:

Chinese Democracy album.  I enjoy the album, I really do, but there's nothing about it that lived up to they hype.  We heard about 'big guns' for years, prayed for leaks, heard others say how big it would be, etc etc etc & it was just delayed too long, over-produced, & lacked radio hits.  It has that late 90's early 2000's feel to it so by the time it was released it was already outdated a bit musically and behind the times.

Underrated:

Chinese Democracy album.  You have to be a true lifelong hardcore fan (with older fans) to appreciate what a good record it really is.  80% of the songs or more is top notch, but again, it's not even considered a true GN'R record amongst the fanbase and it kinda fell flat in the mainstream.  I mean, just shortly after it's release it was already in the bargain bins of BestBuy & that's not good.  Arguably, some of Axl's best writing but it's just covered under layers of unnecessary sounds n bullshit.  Axl got a little too Grandiose with his mission of trying to reinvent himself but still managed to put out a decent record that has good material on it.  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Smokin' Cigarettes said:

Great idea in theory, but this is going to turn ugly in no time when people start calling each other's selections crazy.  One guy love Shotgun Blue & Breakdown while another 30 hate it.  The OP is talking songs but I'd like to nominate an album if I may....

Overrated:

Chinese Democracy album.  I enjoy the album, I really do, but there's nothing about it that lived up to they hype.  We heard about 'big guns' for years, prayed for leaks, heard others say how big it would be, etc etc etc & it was just delayed too long, over-produced, & lacked radio hits.  It has that late 90's early 2000's feel to it so by the time it was released it was already outdated a bit musically and behind the times.

Underrated:

Chinese Democracy album.  You have to be a true lifelong hardcore fan (with older fans) to appreciate what a good record it really is.  80% of the songs or more is top notch, but again, it's not even considered a true GN'R record amongst the fanbase and it kinda fell flat in the mainstream.  I mean, just shortly after it's release it was already in the bargain bins of BestBuy & that's not good.  Arguably, some of Axl's best writing but it's just covered under layers of unnecessary sounds n bullshit.  Axl got a little too Grandiose with his mission of trying to reinvent himself but still managed to put out a decent record that has good material on it.  

Nah, I have faith in things staying civil, and if not, well also okay. It was just intended as a fun thread, not really a serious one.

And I agree with you about CD being both over- and underrated.

It's neither the glorious masterpiece a few people make it out to be, nor is it the horrible abomination that some others like to claim it is.

All in all, I think it's a good album and it has some great songs on it, but also a few crappy songs and some terrible lyrics.

• Like 1

Overrated:

• Out Ta Get Me -- I've come around on this recently with their killer live performances, but this always seemed like filler on AFD to me.
  • Used To Love Her -- After the novelty of the lyrics wear off, you're left with a boring song.
  • You're Crazy (Acoustic) -- I'm not a huge fan of the AFD version either, but like with UTLH, I find this version to be pretty boring.

Underrated:

• Right Next Door To Hell -- Just a kickass way to start off an album. Don't think this song gets enough love.
  • Bad Apples -- Great guitar riff in the chorus. It's certainly not their best work, but I think it should get more recognition than it does.
  • Human Being -- My favorite song off TSI? by far.
  • Prostitute -- I think this song fell under the radar a little bit because it wasn't leaked until closer to the album release. Had it been part of the initial leaks, I think it would have a little higher profile than it does.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Smokin' Cigarettes said:

Overrated:

so many reasons i agree with this. # one is the length of time it took with all that time it should have been a MASTERPIECE. and for me it was not. as for disagreements it's ok to disagree, how boring would things be if everyone all had the same opinion on everything? but yeah i would hate to see this descend into a bunch of people insulting other people's opinions. a simple let's agree to disagree then stating your own opinion goes a long way IMO.

6 hours ago, Slash787 said:

Oh My God is a song which is very over rated in the GNR community, its a weird song, I won't even call it a GNR song and 80% of the fans don't even know that this songs exists, but usually on forums and all its too over rated

Locomotive is a very underrated song, they should play it more often. I honestly prefer Locomotive than Coma. 

Not to start a song by song debate or derail this into just a debate about one song buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut:

OMG is a song that took forever to click with me. I hated it when it was released. By hated it, I mean that after I heard it the first time I would have listened to Creed's entire catalog on repeat 10x over voluntarily prior to hearing it a second time. I didn't hear it again until some time in the year 2000 or so when a friend played it out of the blue. I spent about the first minute bitching up a storm that he was playing it, then I ended up thinking "Hmm... this isn't as bad as I remember". I listened to it again (on purpose) some time after the 2006 leaks and something clicked. Not sure if it's because I liked the leaks and it seemed to fit more with those or what. Nowadays, I flat out love the song and count it among my favorite GN'R songs if I'm being honest.

P.S. I adore Locomotive. Not sure if I love it more than Coma, but I like it at least as much. 

• Like 2

How has 'Pretty Tied Up' not been listed on any underrated lists?! If it wasn't an Izzy song and it wasn't too meta for the situation I'd lose my shit if they play it. In fact, I hope they replace one of the covers (or TIL) with it anyway. 

• Like 1

I was going to make a snarky comment re: Overrated songs being any song I don't care for and someone else liking vs Underrated songs being any song I like that another person doesn't immediately sing the praises of, however, instead I am going to be serious. 

Overrated:

One in a Million

The Lies ranking thread shows that a lot of people on this forum have a lot of love for it. There is a lot of raving about the music, the vocals and dismay that the controversial lyrics keep it from being played. I've listened to this song multiple times and I just can't hear what is so outstanding about the vocals and music on this song.  I don't think they are bad by any means, but the heaping of praise on it leaves me going :question:. I just chalk it us being drawn to different things in music and move on. This will likely be the only time I mention it.

1 hour ago, sanity_lost said:

I was going to make a snarky comment re: Overrated songs being any song I don't care for and someone else liking vs Underrated songs being any song I like that another person doesn't immediately sing the praises of, however, instead I am going to be serious. 

Overrated:

One in a Million

The Lies ranking thread shows that a lot of people on this forum have a lot of love for it. There is a lot of raving about the music, the vocals and dismay that the controversial lyrics keep it from being played. I've listened to this song multiple times and I just can't hear what is so outstanding about the vocals and music on this song.  I don't think they are bad by any means, but the heaping of praise on it leaves me going :question:. I just chalk it us being drawn to different things in music and move on. This will likely be the only time I mention it.

I've always thought this myself and I'm glad you brought it up.  One In A Million, to me, is pretty good guitar work and I like everything about it but the chorus never fit the song IMO.  The way Axl carries the notes in the chorus never set well with me for some reason.  

I don't get the appeal of this"/Overrated:

- Patience -- This is pretty much the only GnR I truly dislike. The only part I can tolerate it the last 60 seconds of it when they play it on a faster tempo and with more background music/vocals. Not to mention its a snoozefest live. 

- Don't Cry -- I do like all sorts of ballads but this one doesn't appeal to me at all. It's boring and nothing powerful about it for me

- November Rain --Again, I like ballads but this is GnR's most overrated song by far imo. The music video is amazing(probably why it has over 600M views on YT), but I always felt that the song's overall popularity sometimes overshadowed GnR's "dangerous" image. 

- Garden of Eden -- This deserved to be GnR's most popular song. The overall sound, energy, attitude, and tone defines GnR perfectly, and yet it is overshadowed by songs like SCOM and NR. 

- Anything Goes -- It blows my mind that this song seems to be the least favorite AFD track, it kicks ass! 

- You're Crazy(Acoustic) -- Why don't they ever perform this song live!? The only performances I've seen are from 1988. 

- 14 Years -- Izzy has a great voice, kick ass song but its a shame that the only people who've heard it are hardcore fans

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Not to start a song by song debate or derail this into just a debate about one song buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut:

OMG is a song that took forever to click with me. I hated it when it was released. By hated it, I mean that after I heard it the first time I would have listened to Creed's entire catalog on repeat 10x over voluntarily prior to hearing it a second time. I didn't hear it again until some time in the year 2000 or so when a friend played it out of the blue. I spent about the first minute bitching up a storm that he was playing it, then I ended up thinking "Hmm... this isn't as bad as I remember". I listened to it again (on purpose) some time after the 2006 leaks and something clicked. Not sure if it's because I liked the leaks and it seemed to fit more with those or what. Nowadays, I flat out love the song and count it among my favorite GN'R songs if I'm being honest.

P.S. I adore Locomotive. Not sure if I love it more than Coma, but I like it at least as much. 

I liked Oh My God when it came out and still do to some degree. I wouldn't go searching for it but it came on my IPOD a couple months ago and I didn't skip it. It was fun to hear again and it had been a long time. 

-Shackler's Revenge

-If The World

-Scraped

-There was a time

-Prostitute

- Think About You

- Mama Kin

- Anything Goes

- Shadow Of Your Love

- Reckless Life

I've always wondered how anyone could see any appeal in Reckless Life. It just seems like one of the first songs a group of teenagers learning their instruments ever wrote. 

Out Ta Get Me is so underrated though. It catches the spirit of AFD era GNR perfectly. Never get tired of it. I was also surprised to see in some recent thread that almost nobody cared for Mama Kin. That song is the one GNR song that has been on all my playlists/mixed tapes for like 25 years, even when I was not especially into GNR