Nose Job, changed vocals, enunciation

So, I don't want to be a downer and change any of the good vibes from all the awesomeness of everything that's going on, but in the midst of watching a lot of the videos in all the summer shows I also have gone back to watch some of UYI shows as well.  The mid range thing has been discussed a lot, so I'm not going to talk a lot about that.  Axl somehow lost his midrange raspiness. Oh well. Though I do wonder when he first realized it. Like, did he not sing from 1995 to 2000 and then getting ready for RIR, he went to sing a view lines and Mickey came out and he was like, "The Fuck was that shit!"?...or was it a gradual loss?  Maybe he can write about that in a book...probably too personal and embarrassing though.

Anyway, what I really noticed was just how nasally he sounds compared to the baritone of the 90s.  I was watching Patience from MetLife and then Patience from Paris 92...this is a non rasp song, but he's so much deeper in 92 and so much more nasally now.  (I'm not saying he sounds bad!) People have commented before how in interviews, his talking voice is also much higher now.  Then watching the closeups of his side profile, I noticed how much more pointy his nose seems and how much of a more normal slope he had in the 90s.  I figured Axl had a face lift, cheek implants and hair implants, but never noticed the nose until now.  That reminded me of someone talking about how Michael Jackson's voice changed so much from his early days because of his extreme nose jobs.  It changed the airflow or something and changed the voice.  Is that possible? Could that change in nasally sound be what is really affecting the midrange and not vocal chords?  I just have trouble believing the vocal chord thing when you see how he sang the shit out of AC/DC songs. 

Lastly, I noticed how much more he used to slur his words together.  If you listen to the beginning of Back off Bitch from UYI (and many other UIY songs) he really just slurs words together in that mid range rasp whine (sounds awesome), but now he like really enunciates/articulates every syllable.  I first noticed this on Coma.  (UYI - AyyyYoooCaaughtMeinaComaaa...) (NOW - Hey, you, caught me in a Coma)

So has anyone else noticed this stuff?  

Have a thought way too much about this? Yes. But like many on here who have followed Axl for at least a couple decades, it really didn't take much thought, just a few minutes of watching some clips and the sub conscience Axl encyclopedia took care of the rest. 

I'm glad Axl's happy now.  I hate that he got in such a dark place that he did all that shit to his face that may have affected his voice.  Wonder what would have happened had him and Slash never split? Oh well, who cares, they're back and Axl's doing great...its all good.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, jayrod737 said:

So, I don't want to be a downer and change any of the good vibes from all the awesomeness of everything that's going on, but in the midst of watching a lot of the videos in all the summer shows I also have gone back to watch some of UYI shows as well.  The mid range thing has been discussed a lot, so I'm not going to talk a lot about that.  Axl somehow lost his midrange raspiness. Oh well. Though I do wonder when he first realized it. Like, did he not sing from 1995 to 2000 and then getting ready for RIR, he went to sing a view lines and Mickey came out and he was like, "The Fuck was that shit!"?...or was it a gradual loss?  Maybe he can write about that in a book...probably too personal and embarrassing though.

Anyway, what I really noticed was just how nasally he sounds compared to the baritone of the 90s.  I was watching Patience from MetLife and then Patience from Paris 92...this is a non rasp song, but he's so much deeper in 92 and so much more nasally now.  (I'm not saying he sounds bad!) People have commented before how in interviews, his talking voice is also much higher now.  Then watching the closeups of his side profile, I noticed how much more pointy his nose seems and how much of a more normal slope he had in the 90s.  I figured Axl had a face lift, cheek implants and hair implants, but never noticed the nose until now.  That reminded me of someone talking about how Michael Jackson's voice changed so much from his early days because of his extreme nose jobs.  It changed the airflow or something and changed the voice.  Is that possible? Could that change in nasally sound be what is really affecting the midrange and not vocal chords?  I just have trouble believing the vocal chord thing when you see how he sang the shit out of AC/DC songs. 

Lastly, I noticed how much more he used to slur his words together.  If you listen to the beginning of Back off Bitch from UYI (and many other UIY songs) he really just slurs words together in that mid range rasp whine (sounds awesome), but now he like really enunciates/articulates every syllable.  I first noticed this on Coma.  (UYI - AyyyYoooCaaughtMeinaComaaa...) (NOW - Hey, you, caught me in a Coma)

So has anyone else noticed this stuff?  

Have a thought way too much about this? Yes. But like many on here who have followed Axl for at least a couple decades, it really didn't take much thought, just a few minutes of watching some clips and the sub conscience Axl encyclopedia took care of the rest. 

I'm glad Axl's happy now.  I hate that he got in such a dark place that he did all that shit to his face that may have affected his voice.  Wonder what would have happened had him and Slash never split? Oh well, who cares, they're back and Axl's doing great...its all good.

Barbra Streisand has often said the reason she never had a nose job was she was afraid it would adversely affect her singing. and yes, sadly, i have noticed that Axl's speaking voice has changed from being so very deep to a higher pitched kind of nasally one. i never noticed his nose, i just thought it was age as some people tend to get higher voices as they get older :shrugs:

Yeah, like I said I never noticed the nose before either. Its more subtle than the other stuff, but when I did notice it, I google'd it and there are a bunch of sites with before and after Axl photos talking about Rhinoplasty and wondering why he did it since he had a great nose. The pictures from the 80s to now make it pretty clear he had some shit done to his nose too. 

I can't see any physical evidence of Axl having had a nose job. 

Chemical peels, hair transplant, Botox... Yes.

Not a nose job though. 

Also, his speaking voice was pretty much back to how it's always been, very deep, in the AC/DC interviews. 

Edited by MillionsOfSpiders
  • Like 4

The evidence in not conclusive, but these pics in my opinion do seem to show the bridge was wider before and narrower now...and more pointy now. Its not dramatic, but its there.  Its most noticeable on a side profile, which I can't find. 

iu-2.jpeg

iu.jpeg

iu-1.jpeg

15 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I can't see any physical evidence of Axl having had a nose job. 

Chemical peels, hair transplant, Botox... Yes.

Not a nose job though. 

Also, his speaking voice was pretty much back to how it's always been, very deep, in the AC/DC interviews. 

i need to check those out! cos his deep speaking voice is so sexy, i remember watching those court videos on YouTube over and over because of it ( and the cute expressions he made, like eye rolling and such :P ) but in interviews like the Jimmy Kimmel one and on some of the periscopes his voice at times sounds a bit higher to me. in Vegas it varied, when he said "Good evening" it was deeeeeep, but in other things he said it was higher. i think he's trying to sound idk softer maybe? but i do hear a difference at times.

Just now, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i need to check those out! cos his deep speaking voice is so sexy, i remember watching those court videos on YouTube over and over because of it ( and the cute expressions he made, like eye rolling and such :P ) but in interviews like the Jimmy Kimmel one and on some of the periscopes his voice at times sounds a bit higher to me. in Vegas it varied, when he said "Good evening" it was deeeeeep, but in other things he said it was higher. i think he's trying to sound idk softer maybe? but i do hear a difference at times.

Did you watch that Sebastian Bach interview in the women's thread? I forced myself to because he said something really interesting about Axl's voice, he's said he ranged from low to high speaking, in a single sentence, so I think that's something that's always been that way :) 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, jayrod737 said:

Like, did he not sing from 1995 to 2000 and then getting ready for RIR, he went to sing a view lines and Mickey came out and he was like, "The Fuck was that shit!"?...or was it a gradual loss?  Maybe he can write about that in a book...probably too personal and embarrassing though.

OMFG:rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

15 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Did you watch that Sebastian Bach interview in the women's thread? I forced myself to because he said something really interesting about Axl's voice, he's said he ranged from low to high speaking, in a single sentence, so I think that's something that's always been that way :) 

i have not i'll look it up. i do recall Sebastian saying Axl's voice was really low but he had a really high laugh. but that makes sense that is changes it just was a shock to hear him after the court stuff to hear this:

but then again he was talking in a softer voice so maybe that's why it sounded different? he's a sexy talker no matter what :wub: btw it was a shock to see this, with his facial hair, he looks soooo much better now! :heart:

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose
  • Like 1

@AxlsFavoriteRose I agree, he looks a lot better now. I think that interview was round about when he started having really bad vocal problems that plagued him up until this tour. He says he's was on antibiotics, I dont know how much damage that kind of illness can do to your vocal chords? Bach said he went through so many different octaves on one sentence I think :lol:

Edited by MillionsOfSpiders
  • Like 1