Atomic Weapons

Snake-Pit

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

There were no paki shops in 1945. People had to simply endure a lack of flour on Christmas day. You had to get through it - blitz spirit and all.

There were no shops full stop after old man Adolfs lot were done :lol:  Couple that with rationing til well into the 50s and you was fucked one way or the other. 

He's talking about Germany though...Ranjit the Nazi :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

Just now, Len B'stard said:

There were no shops full stop after old man Adolfs lot were done :lol:  Couple that with rationing til well into the 50s and you was fucked one way or the other.

It took the ball tampering pakis to rescue us.

Incidentally, my Pakistan friend, who (no word of a lie) runs a corner shop, whenever he goes to Pakistan he stocks up on imodium haha.

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It took the ball tampering pakis to rescue us.

Incidentally, my Pakistan friend, who (no word of a lie) runs a corner shop, whenever he goes to Pakistan he stocks up on imodium haha.

My old man does that! :lol:  Why do they do that?!?! :lol:  I mean you get the runs over there, not constipation!

Ah, that makes sense then, i thought it was to stop constipation, i wouldn't know, never used it.  They eat parathas for breakfast.  Not sure what to call that over here, it's sort of like a chapati cooked in ghee...that with a couple of fried eggs and a cup of tea, fuck me they love tea over there, must have it like 5 times a day.

This is a collage I made in 2007 with MS paint and Google based on doodles/sketches I used to sketch in my refill pad in 2004 in college.

nuke__just_blew_it_rb07_by_treborillusio

The most challenging part was finding a cool looking mushroom cloud photo that fitted my design... - That was actually a littler harder to do than I anticipated it'll be, I remember.

Edited by Snake-Pit

10 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

How was Dresden a war crime, look what they done to London!  They started it, all we did was win.  We were ending the war against aggressors.  It's all well and good in peace time looking back and going 'oh wow, that was brutal and unnecessary and perhaps it was but so was the war overall, the war which they started, I mean it's gotta be done innit? 

As is generally the case with these things you tend to present me with an angle that makes me think twice but I can't imagine how you're gonna do that here.

Simon Cowell? Really?!

Dresden was a war crime because of the facts involved and that the bombing was in clear violation of international law. It was effectively no different to the bombings of Nagasaki and Hiroshima in that it was simply a terror tool to demonstrate how the war had swung and what power we possessed. Dresden had no military capabilities, no strategic value and no defense, but what it did have were refugees who were fleeing the Eastern front. The people that were killed in Dresden were women, children and sickly men and had nothing to do with the war save for a few soldiers who were there for recovery (Dresden was known as a hospital town)

They started it, all we did was win.  We were ending the war against aggressors.

Not really. The German high command started the war and the civilian refugees in Dresden were no more responsible, or our enemies, than the civilians in Iraq, Afghanistan and Palestine that are constantly obliterated by a wayward missile or two that was intended for combatants. War is a terrible thing, but it should be fought between armies, not armies against civilians, and when our position was that the Germans were wicked and evil for what they were doing it behooves us to not then turn around and obliterate 100,000 people (not to mention some of the most historic, important and beautiful architecture in Europe) simply as a "fuck you".

• Like 3

On 7/28/2016 at 8:09 PM, PappyTron said:

Simon Cowell? Really?!

Dresden was a war crime because of the facts involved and that the bombing was in clear violation of international law. It was effectively no different to the bombings of Nagasaki and Hiroshima in that it was simply a terror tool to demonstrate how the war had swung and what power we possessed. Dresden had no military capabilities, no strategic value and no defense, but what it did have were refugees who were fleeing the Eastern front. The people that were killed in Dresden were women, children and sickly men and had nothing to do with the war save for a few soldiers who were there for recovery (Dresden was known as a hospital town)

Not really. The German high command started the war and the civilian refugees in Dresden were no more responsible, or our enemies, than the civilians in Iraq, Afghanistan and Palestine that are constantly obliterated by a wayward missile or two that was intended for combatants. War is a terrible thing, but it should be fought between armies, not armies against civilians, and when our position was that the Germans were wicked and evil for what they were doing it behooves us to not then turn around and obliterate 100,000 people (not to mention some of the most historic, important and beautiful architecture in Europe) simply as a "fuck you".

Okay, Hiroshima, Nagasaki were just threats of atomic bomb after atomic bomb carried out until Sho-wa surrendered which; because of the Japanese fighting until the death, no end was ever planned for that atomic bomb campaign but the surrender of Japan; It took 2 atom bombs dropped and the declaration of war from Stalin to do it in the end. 

It was in light of this atomic bomb campaign issued against Japan (a world first) which made President Truman step in and declare afterwards that The President of the United States should make that decision for America in the future; He knew about it, but as far as who authorised that is probably a mystery; and back then in America's defense it was either army or navy, since the US air force (which actually had the bomb) was another branch of the army at the time.  These bombs were made; developed in a race, and made under top secrecy during all out war that... I don't think anyone ever officially went down as authorising it , not even the President of the United States. Resources had to be spent and used to make these that once they became the 'solution' to end the war, it was a case of probably being too late for the new president to stop, since President Roosevelt died and, the incident started on August 6th 1945; President Truman was first briefed and became aware of Manhattan Project April 24th 1945 http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/truman-is-briefed-on-manhattan-project - I persume that he continued the project, they built the bomb, he then issued an ultimatium which then was rejected and the atomic bombing campaign seemed a way to end the war. After Hiroshima, Japan fought on; Part of their military command/government didn't believe that Hiroshima got bombed, at first. The survivors in Hiroshima were puzzled by the scale of destruction that was everywhere because they just couldn't remember any squadrons of aeroplanes/airplanes/bombers fire bombing them - because it took 1 plane, 1 bomb.

Edited by Snake-Pit

33 minutes ago, Axl owns dexter said:

Yes, the Japanese had soldiers who would fight to the death with no thought of surrender. But that's not the issue. The issue is, as the link in my previous post said, the Japanese leaders had been trying to seek an end to the war well before the Atom bombs. 

I understand they wanted to negotiate an end to the war seeking a deal with the Soviet Union to broker a deal for a 'Conditional Surrender' because they knew they weren't winning.

This sort of went out the window because on the same day an atomic bomb was dropped over Nagasaki; The Soviet Union then, and only then.. Declared formal war on Imperial Japan, and for that, The Soviet Union benefitted tremendously; It was unconditional surrender and peace. (before the Cold War).. 

Edited by Snake-Pit

15 minutes ago, Snake-Pit said:

I understand they wanted to negotiate an end to the war seeking a deal with the Soviet Union to broker a deal for a 'Conditional Surrender' because they knew they weren't winning.

This sort of went out the window because on the same day an atomic bomb was dropped over Nagasaki; The Soviet Union then, and only then.. Declared formal war on Imperial Japan, and for that, The Soviet Union benefitted tremendously; It was unconditional surrender and peace. (before the Cold War).. 

http://www.ihr.org/jhr/v16/v16n3p-4_weber.html

In an article that finally appeared August 19, 1945, on the front pages of the Chicago Tribune and the Washington Times-Herald, Trohan revealed that on January 20, 1945, two days prior to his departure for the Yalta meeting with Stalin and Churchill, President Roosevelt received a 40-page memorandum from General Douglas MacArthur outlining five separate surrender overtures from high-level Japanese officials. (The complete text of Trohan's article is in the Winter 1985-86Journal, pp. 508-512.)

This memo showed that the Japanese were offering surrender terms virtually identical to the ones ultimately accepted by the Americans at the formal surrender ceremony on September 2 -- that is, complete surrender of everything but the person of the Emperor.

• Like 1

I read once that the blast radius was a mile? That didn't seem that bad. I know the fall out spreads further and that still wrecks a city. 

UK just opened a new nuclear power station. This is our only way out of this Brexit mess. We can't mess around anymore.