Any jazz fans in the house?

Towelie

See now you're talking my language, The Monk, Coltrane, Charlie Parker, Ornette Coleman, Dave Bruebeck, Max Roach, Miles Davis, i could go on all day.  I have a really...whats the word?  Pure love for it in that i dont know the mechanics musically like i do with rock n roll or blues or hip hop, i dont really understand it, i just love how it sounds and go by that.

Sure! Miles Davis, Charlie Parker (listening to With Strings now), Cannonball Adderley, Ella Fitzgerald, Erroll Garner, Nina Simone, Louis Armstrong, Billie Holiday, Ray Charles, some Coltrane or Thelonious Monk...  Gregory Porter isn't really jazz is it? More of a soul thing with some jazzy influence? Fuck, I loved the jazz-infused hiphop show of The Roots earlier this month too. Hugh Laurie's albums are covers of great jazz classics too. Love those.  

Jazz is difficult to find your way in though. I mean, it's not just about bands like rock. It's this guy that played with that guy and this dude who was in someone's band for a while and started doing great shit. It has more sub-subgenres than metal man. Discovering great stuff isn't as easy as google'ing an album list. I mean, sure it's a start. But from there there's 25 directions to dive into. 

Edited by username

4 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

I never really looked at Nina Simone or Ella or Billie Holliday as Jazz but I suppose they are, sort of.

It's kind of like that with a lot of artists though Len. I mean, can you really put them in just one box? There have always been these big blends of Soul, Jazz, Gospel, Blues, R&B (not the modern shit they call R&B, actual Rhythm and Blues), Swing.... Ray Charles did stuff in all directions for example. Or Sinatra, for that matter. 

Ellz is a vocal jazz classic for me though. Always has been. 

Edited by username

Yeah, i suppose you're right. 

Jazz's best influence on rock n roll was the drumming.  It's no coincidence that the best rock n roll bands had Jazzy drummers, your Charlie Wattses and DJ Fontanas and Ginger Bakers etc.  Rock n Roll suffered from losing it's swinging drummers and going into that thuddy thumpy hard rock direction.

57 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

I never really looked at Nina Simone or Ella or Billie Holliday as Jazz but I suppose they are, sort of.

Billie Holiday's Lady In Satin is one the finest jazz records ever put to wax in my humble opinion.

Charles Mingus is another jazz musician I enjoy.

3 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

Yeah, i suppose you're right. 

Jazz's best influence on rock n roll was the drumming.  It's no coincidence that the best rock n roll bands had Jazzy drummers, your Charlie Wattses and DJ Fontanas and Ginger Bakers etc.  Rock n Roll suffered from losing it's swinging drummers and going into that thuddy thumpy hard rock direction.

Many consider John Bonham the best drummer in rock. I consider him the harbinger of terrible drumming.

And might I add John Densmore to your list?

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Many consider John Bonham the best drummer in rock. I consider him the harbinger of terrible drumming.

Definitely, fantastic drummer...and subtle with it too and very Jazz influenced and took the scope of Jazz influence on rock n roll away from just swinging.  He'd do little old Jazz players tricks like tape his wallet to the bottom to dampen the snare, and those cymbal rivets that give you some of the subtle touches on songs like When The Musics over.

And i agree with Bonzo, not that he wasn't brilliant at what he did, it's just the shit immitations that followed.

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Yes! I love the playing of many but Densmore is my favorite on the drums. I think he is totally overlooked by the average listner. The whole band was very unique individually. Jim's larger than life persona overshadows that unfortunately. 

3 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

I find listening to Jazz when i drive makes me drive like a human being.  

Oh no, I have to listen to something uptempo when I drive otherwise I start to nod off and you'd see me headfirst on the steering wheel at the front of a pile up off the M5 with some Dizzy Gilllespie blaring out the car stereo.

5 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Oh no, I have to listen to something uptempo when I drive otherwise I start to nod off and you'd see me headfirst on the steering wheel at the front of a pile up off the M5 with some Dizzy Gilllespie blaring out the car stereo.

If i listen to uptempo i drive uptempo and i am one infraction away from losing my lisence indefinitely.  In the 9 or 10 years i been driving i been banned for 4 for two seperate offences.

4 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

If i listen to uptempo i drive uptempo and i am one infraction away from losing my lisence indefinitely.  In the 9 or 10 years i been driving i been banned for 4 for two seperate offences.

I'm the safest driver I know, largely in part because the actual act of driving makes me sleepy, so I have the windows down and loud music blaring to stop me drifting off. I knew I was in trouble when I was doing 70mph on the dual carriageway on my very first driving lesson finding myself thinking about what I was having for dinner that night and thinking "this driving malarkeys a piece of piss."

Edited by Towelie