New Pink Floyd 1965-1972 Boxed Set (Ridiculous Price)

RussTCB

Looks like a sweet set but $700 is a bit much....that is more expensive than any Empress Valley bootleg set I have ever seen and they can get pretty pricey...........I still think they will sell though as there are some pretty rabid Floyd fans out there. I wonder if this is  LTD edition and if it is how many they will make? If it is truly limited $700 may seem cheap down the road once they sell out..............:shrugs:

1 minute ago, classicrawker said:

Looks like a sweet set but $700 is a bit much....that is more expensive than any Empress Valley bootleg set I have ever seen and they can get pretty pricey...........I still think they will sell though as there are some pretty rabid Floyd fans out there. I wonder if this is  LTD edition and if it is how many they will make? If it is truly limited $700 may seem cheap down the road once they sell out..............:shrugs:

I view myself as a pretty rapid Floyd fan and there's absolutely no way I'd drop $700 on this. I also think the "Limited Edition" tag is simply to scare long time fans into pre ordering. I imagine this will be sitting on shelves for a long time til the price drops to $400 or so. 

14 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I view myself as a pretty rapid Floyd fan and there's absolutely no way I'd drop $700 on this. I also think the "Limited Edition" tag is simply to scare long time fans into pre ordering. I imagine this will be sitting on shelves for a long time til the price drops to $400 or so. 

You may be right Russ but I find most to the box sets these days are limited edition and will not be reprinted.....JMO but I think if they only made a few thousand of these they will sell out.........now maybe people buy them as investments for resale but it would not surprise me if they sold out depending on how many they make.............:shrugs:

The Deep Purple 9LP Made in Japan I just bought originally was could be found  just south of $100 originally but is OOP and is selling for 2-300$ on the resale market now for  sealed copy. The price of the Floyd Box may drop eventually for used copies but you can never predict these types of things......really depends on scarcity I think.

Edited by classicrawker

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I was SO excited until I saw the price. Never in a million years will I spend $700 on it.

Same here. I mean, I already own all the albums on cd, Pompeii on DVD and the Early Singles bonus disc from the 90's box set and the London cd and DVD. So if you really look for the differences, it's not worth that much money for me. 

50 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

I'd pay $700 for this if this were for Guns and the Chinese Democracy sessions.

I wouldn't pay 700 for that even if it'd be able to suck my dick every day for a year. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd love that, but 700 is just plain ridiculous. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Rock n roll, ehh? It began with Chuck's duckwalk and ended with an overpriced VIP lithograph.

Such is the state of the music industry these days where people want the music for free..........you can say the price of this set makes people steal I suppose but on the other hand the music companies are trying to find ways to make money and these LTD box sets sell and are money makers.......

• 3 months later...

Well I din't know where to ask this question, but @RussTCB as you are a hardcore Floyd fan, what is your take on Syd Barrett? 

Did you like him or you preferred Gilmour? 

What is the reason why no one even met him after the mid 70's? I know he had a mental illness, but just meeting him once generally as an old friend would not have done any harm. 

42 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

Well I din't know where to ask this question, but @RussTCB as you are a hardcore Floyd fan, what is your take on Syd Barrett? 

Did you like him or you preferred Gilmour? 

What is the reason why no one even met him after the mid 70's? I know he had a mental illness, but just meeting him once generally as an old friend would not have done any harm. 

I'm kind of odd when I comes to Syd. I love the singles he did with Floyd prior to their first album, then I do not like their first album (the only full album with him on it) at all. Then I love his solo work a great deal...... so like I said, I'm kind of odd when it comes to Syd lol. I do not prefer him to Gilmour in anyway overall though.

As for Syd in the 70s, yeah, it was more or less a mental breakdown that lead to his seclusion. He was spotted at the studio while Floyd were recording Wish You Were Here. Dave & Rick also played some on his solo records, so I don't think he was cut off from the band by any means.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Amazon UK are selling this for £399 which is around $500. Some of the reviews are atrocious, people complaining about faulty discs, poor packaging and repetitive material.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Early-Years-1965-72-Pink-Floyd/dp/B01J20B7IW/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

The only part of that I disagree with is the "repetive material" part for two reasons. 1) Any Floyd fan knows they were really finding out who they were in that era. The whole point of that boxed set is to hear the band evolve from the people who made Piper to the people who made Dark Side. 2) The tracklist was advertised in advance. So it's not like people spent $500+ then found out there were several versions of a lot of songs.

On the other hand, I completely agree with the other aspects starting with the price. This should never, ever, EVER have been priced over $300, let alone double that. The packaging and quality control complaints tie right into the pricing for me. If you're gonna have the balls to charge at least double what a set is worth, you better be DAMN sure that every one of them is absolutely perfect.

• Like 1