Looking for a certain clip

Alright so, I forget where I first saw it, but there exists a video of a concert at some point during the Illusion tour where Axl comes out on stage and starts screaming at Slash and insulting him. I don't remember much more about it, just that I really couldn't tell if it was all a joke or actually serious. I'd like to watch it again, does anyone know anything about this?

I don't have clip but January 14th 1992. Axl slices his hand open and walks off stage. Slash directs the crowd with what's going on and Axl misheard him. Axl comes back out and calls Slash a "punk ass mother fucker" and Slash says to Axl "I'll kick your fucking ass". All happened before Welcome to the Jungle. 

Edit: I was a little slow on the draw I guess.

Edited by Grayfox

2 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Sounds like Axl was just having a laugh at the expense of an inebriated Slash. I didn't sense any seriousness from Axl, although Slash seems to take it serious.

If a friend mishears you and says these things then Ill see who takes it serious. 

53 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

If a friend mishears you and says these things then Ill see who takes it serious. 

I don't think Axl misheard Slash, as he seemingly takes issue with the 'costume change' comment Slash made earlier in the clip. Granted, Slash actually said 'clothing change', but the meaning stays the same. I think it is clear, as much as it can be without video evidence, that Axl was poking some fun at the comment and at the expense of Slash. The way he talks in a sarcastic tone and engages with the crowd before immediately seguing into WTTJ indicates, at least to me, that Axl was having some fun. Slash took it seriously, as is indicative of his defensive posture, but if he knew Axl was joking, there wouldn't be a need to get offended.

7 hours ago, PhillyRose said:

Alright so, I forget where I first saw it, but there exists a video of a concert at some point during the Illusion tour where Axl comes out on stage and starts screaming at Slash and insulting him. I don't remember much more about it, just that I really couldn't tell if it was all a joke or actually serious. I'd like to watch it again, does anyone know anything about this?

I was thinking about this clip last night and almost started a thread asking if anyone knew what show it was from. Then I open the forum this morning and this thread is here. Weird. :blink:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Grayfox said:

I don't have clip but January 14th 1992. Axl slices his hand open and walks off stage. Slash directs the crowd with what's going on and Axl misheard him. Axl comes back out and calls Slash a "punk ass mother fucker" and Slash says to Axl "I'll kick your fucking ass". All happened before Welcome to the Jungle. 

Edit: I was a little slow on the draw I guess.

I'm pretty sure Axl says "I'll kick your ass right now" Slash backs off and Axl apologizes later. 

I posted this a few weeks ago in a concert thread haha 

Holy moly @ that audio. I don't think either one was joking. Axl telling Slash "you're stoned" like when he treatened to quit the band if they didn't stop dancing with Mr. Brownstone. The tension was real.

Edited by Jane M.
Wrong word

Axl was an angry bully back then, and he seemed to zero in on Slash with this kind of shit. When you watch or listen to the bootlegs, there's a number of times when he treats Slash like crap. This and the one where he rants about Mr Brownstone are the most notorious. But there's also that incident where he refused to take the stage unless Slash apologised for being an addict. To me, that one has always seemed especially cruel.

We can only hope that Axl has changed.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I don't think Axl misheard Slash, as he seemingly takes issue with the 'costume change' comment Slash made earlier in the clip. Granted, Slash actually said 'clothing change', but the meaning stays the same. I think it is clear, as much as it can be without video evidence, that Axl was poking some fun at the comment and at the expense of Slash. The way he talks in a sarcastic tone and engages with the crowd before immediately seguing into WTTJ indicates, at least to me, that Axl was having some fun. Slash took it seriously, as is indicative of his defensive posture, but if he knew Axl was joking, there wouldn't be a need to get offended.

At the show a few days ago axl said : guitar change ,but necessary. Could it be relationed

Axl later apologized for that incident:

DEL: When you and Slash aren't at each other's throats, you're really a force to be reckoned with.

AXL: Let me say something about us being at each other's throats: We haven't really been that way in the past year and a half. I love the guy. We're like opposite poles of energy, and we balance each other out. We push each other to work harder and complement each other that way. We had a run-in in Dayton [Ohio], because both myself and Dougie thought he said something shitty to me onstage. That was the night I cut my hand to the bone. Backstage we have monitors much like the ones onstage, and while I was back there dealing with my hand, I thought I heard him take a potshot at me. I wrapped my hand up in a towel and was like, "Let's get it taken care of, so I can finish the show." I came back onstage and was a dick to him and told him I'd kick his fucking ass in front of 20,000 people. That was fucked up. I was wrong, and I apologized the second I realized I was mistaken. Someone who is supporting me as strongly as he does is a hand I never want to bite.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=11

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 4

How can you hear that and think he's joking? That's obviously Axl in one of his douchebag/temper tantrum moods. And you can clearly hear Slash is upset and trying to defend himself.

The only good thing I can say about this is that at least Axl realized he had fucked up and then apologized to Slash afterwards.

But yeah, it fits a pattern of Axl being really awful to Slash and treating him like crap. There are a number of incidents like that both on and off stage.

@Babooshka I would like to know more about Axl refusing to go on stage unless Slash apologized for being an addict (wtf?!) as well. Don't think I've heard that one before.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

I would like to know more about Axl refusing to go on stage unless Slash apologized for being an addict (wtf?!) as well. Don't think I've heard that one before.

From Slash's book:

"We were booked into the Hotel Bonaventure for the four nights of the Stones shows and
that’s where I was the morning before the first one when I got the call that Axl wasn’t
going to do the gigs. His reasoning was that Steven and I were on smack. We were…but
that was beside the point; we were opening for The Stones. Somehow we coerced him
into doing the first show, and it was a disaster.
“Enjoy the show,” Axl said when we took the stage, “because it’s going to be our last
one. There are too many of us dancing with Mr. Brownstone.”
I was so pissed off about that and he was so pissed at me for being a junkie that I spent
the better half of the show facing my amps. Nothing was together that night, the band
sounded horrible. In my state of mind I walked offstage, got right into my limo, and went
to get high in my room.
The next day, Doug told me that Axl would play the remaining shows as long as I
apologized, onstage, to the audience, for being a junkie
. That was a pretty hard pill to
swallow. In retrospect, I understand why Axl singled me out rather than Steven. I am the
stronger of the two of us and Axl relied on me more. My presence was important to him;
he felt that I was a link in the band that couldn’t afford to be out of control. Still, I didn’t
think a public gesture was necessary. When you’re high, you’re arrogant and there was
no way I was going to take the blame in that way. I didn’t think that smack was causing
the problems in the band and even if it was, now was not the time to make an issue of it.
But I had to do something. So when the time came, I walked out there, and rather than
apologize, I went into some banter about heroin and what it can do to you and how we’d
been around the block a few times, how I’d done my time with the seductive beast. It
was more amusing than anything else, because I didn’t want to bring the audience down
at all. I have a way of mumbling when I talk anyway, so I think the mention of “the reality
of drugs” and whatever else I said came off as an apology enough. We did a long intro to
“Mr. Brownstone” as I spoke, so from an audience perspective, it seemed like an
impromptu introduction to the song."

• Like 1