Why does Frank need to lead the count into It's So Easy?

31 minutes ago, Carne_asaDA said:

I can't stand it. It takes away from the energy of the song and it's unnecessary. Just have Duff lead in with the 16th note intro like they did back in Paris 92. 

I hear ya.. Didn't Duff ALWAY lead into the song no matter what band or year?  I wouldn't say it takes away from the energy of the song but it is odd. Frank wouldn't be my 1rst, 2nd or 3rd choice hah but he has still improved over all. You can tell he heard the criticism and put in the work. Props to him for that..

Fortus still annoys me on a lot of songs though.. I never thought the verses to Don't Cry were screaming for some whammy bar action.. Or the first verse in Civil War needed some useless harmonics thrown in there. He just seems like he adds these things for the sake of adding them and it sounds tacky. 

Slash, Axl and Duff have been kicking so much ass that it makes it real easy to ignore Fortus though..

8 minutes ago, WWEROSES said:

I seriously don't get all the complaining people here do about Frank and Fortus. During the NuGNR era, I legit saw no posts about people complaining about those two. I actually remember people commenting how much people liked Frank's drumming and how much it resembles Adlers style. And people saying how talented Fortus is and how he actually plays the leads correctly and never until this reunion have I seen anyone complain about his mannerisms.  I just don't get it. When I saw them twice a couple weeks ago, nobody in the crowd that was near me complained about either of them. I actually heard a few people say "wow, he's really good! (During the Wish You Were Here solo) and every one walking out of both shows kept saying it was the best concert they've ever been too.

Seems like for a lot of people, all it is, is who they aren't.

I understand in a way, because Ashba was not Slash. But he also was a douche. I just don't subscribe to the Frank/ Fortus hate. I love their playing.

Edited by Fitha_whiskey
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Carne_asaDA said:

I can't stand it. It takes away from the energy of the song and it's unnecessary. Just have Duff lead in with the 16th note intro like they did back in Paris 92. 

Why does Frank need to play drums in this band?

I can't stand it. It takes away from the energy of the band and it's unnecessary. Just have Steven do it like they did back in 1988.

Oh, and remove that Richard dude too. I REALLY cant stand him. Just have Izzy do it like they did back in 1988.

• Like 2

The count in doesn't matter. I think it fits well with the start of the show. Maybe Duff requests it? No one ever considers stuff like that. Now, if Frank did a 10 second fill into It's So Easy, then you guys would have something to actually bitch about.

• Like 1

I find Fortus's additions for more enjoyable than Dizzy Reed's piano playing on Civil War. Dizzy's piano belongs only on ballads that he plays on (Street of Dreams). He doesn't even do This I Love correctly.

4 hours ago, WWEROSES said:

I seriously don't get all the complaining people here do about Frank and Fortus. During the NuGNR era, I legit saw no posts about people complaining about those two. I actually remember people commenting how much people liked Frank's drumming and how much it resembles Adlers style. And people saying how talented Fortus is and how he actually plays the leads correctly and never until this reunion have I seen anyone complain about his mannerisms.  I just don't get it. When I saw them twice a couple weeks ago, nobody in the crowd that was near me complained about either of them. I actually heard a few people say "wow, he's really good! (During the Wish You Were Here solo) and every one walking out of both shows kept saying it was the best concert they've ever been too.

It's the ducking Internet, a cesspool of people's repressed feelings and desires. I ignore these comments because Axl and fucking Slash, rocks last ultra stars have a ccepted Frank into the band. It's a silly argument to hear the web warriors lodge complaints. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, WWEROSES said:

This. Fortus gets hated on because they view him as the guy standing in the way of izzy returning. Same with Frank, they view him as a guy who had he stepped aside, we'd get Adler and Sorum or some combination of that back. Personally, I don't care for Melissa "blue hair" Reese because she contributes nothing to the sound but, some may distaste her thinking she's in the way of someone from the old lineup returning. 

Thats really what it comes down to... That and they were Axl Rose hand picked musicians for the newer versions of GNR so..

23 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

This. Fortus gets hated on because they view him as the guy standing in the way of izzy returning. Same with Frank, they view him as a guy who had he stepped aside, we'd get Adler and Sorum or some combination of that back.

Or people just don't like their playing style..

I would love Izzy back but that has zero to do with my dislike of the contributions Fortus makes. Not on every song but on a lot of them! I won't list them all but I just don't like his style of playing in this band. 

You have even criticized Frank. Was that because you wanted him to step aside or because his drumming was sub par?  I personally think Frank has vastly improved. I would rather Steven or Matt but I have no complaints with him now. In April he was awful but he put the work in and it shows. 

I still agree with you 100% on Melissa.. I cringe every time I see her dumb face on the screens. She is useless and I don't want to hear anyone's crap about how great her background vocals are. She ads a very cheesy pop element to the band. 

To reply to your quoted post. A lot of people didn't complain about Frank and Fortus during the NuGnR era because no one gave a crap about the band at the time. Though I do recall people criticizing Frank on songs like Rocket Queen and Brownstone.. I can also remember seeing those NuGuns concerts on TV and think Fortus looked like a tool and I didn't like his take on songs from the little I saw. A lot people that were posting here during that time were Axl fanatics and would support any lineup he decided to cart up on stage  no matter how bad he or the band sounded.

Anyway, people critique because they care about the band. That's all. We are all passionate. Some people here see me as a whiny bitch but I don't give a rats ass. This is a place for Guns N' Roses discussion good and bad. Outside of here I am one if Gn'R biggest promoters. My facebook page looked like an official Gn'R page for awhile. I was trying to get as many people to go to the Foxboro shows as possible. I was searching for ticket deals for people because I knew they wouldn't. I convinced 10 friends to get tickets last minute. I post the best performances all over facebook. Some people like to wear Rose colored glasses all the time but nothing is perfect. What we have now is fucking incredible but it could be better. I know some really big Guns N' Roses fans that I couldn't convince to go because of the line up. One guy at work and my two cousins specifically.. They were all jacked up when the rumors started flying but chose not to go in the end.. I agree the line up isn't great overall but it is still fucking awesome seeing Axl, Slash and Duff up there.

Bottom line is these shows have been amazing because of Slash, Axl and Duff Some people just need lighten up. I don't like Fortus but I don't care if someone else does. To each is own.. We should just all be happy that there is so much interest in the band again.  \m/  Nothing wrong with wanting the band to be the best that it can be. Peoples views on what that is is obviously going to be different.

• Like 3

Honestly now I don't even care, Im not getting my hopes up for Steven and Izzy, I wanted them to be there, but I won't keep on going on and on

If they want Frank and Fortus, well good for them. 

42 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Or people just don't like their playing style..

I would love Izzy back but that has zero to do with my dislike of the contributions Fortus makes. Not on every song but on a lot of them! I won't list them all but I just don't like his style of playing in this band. 

You have even criticized Frank. Was that because you wanted him to step aside or because his drumming was sub par?  I personally think Frank has vastly improved. I would rather Steven or Matt but I have no complaints with him now. In April he was awful but he put the work in and it shows. 

I still agree with you 100% on Melissa.. I cringe every time I see her dumb face on the screens. She is useless and I don't want to hear anyone's crap about how great her background vocals are. She ads a very cheesy pop element to the band. 

To reply to your quoted post. A lot of people didn't complain about Frank and Fortus during the NuGnR era because no one gave a crap about the band at the time. Though I do recall people criticizing Frank on songs like Rocket Queen and Brownstone.. I can also remember seeing those NuGuns concerts on TV and think Fortus looked like a tool and I didn't like his take on songs from the little I saw. A lot people that were posting here during that time were Axl fanatics and would support any lineup he decided to cart up on stage  no matter how bad he or the band sounded.

Anyway, people critique because they care about the band. That's all. We are all passionate. Some people here see me as a whiny bitch but I don't give a rats ass. This is a place for Guns N' Roses discussion good and bad. Outside of here I am one if Gn'R biggest promoters. My facebook page looked like an official Gn'R page for awhile. I was trying to get as many people to go to the Foxboro shows as possible. I was searching for ticket deals for people because I knew they wouldn't. I convinced 10 friends to get tickets last minute. I post the best performances all over facebook. Some people like to wear Rose colored glasses all the time but nothing is perfect. What we have now is fucking incredible but it could be better. I know some really big Guns N' Roses fans that I couldn't convince to go because of the line up. One guy at work and my two cousins specifically.. They were all jacked up when the rumors started flying but chose not to go in the end.. I agree the line up isn't great overall but it is still fucking awesome seeing Axl, Slash and Duff up there.

Bottom line is these shows have been amazing because of Slash, Axl and Duff Some people just need lighten up. I don't like Fortus but I don't care if someone else does. To each is own.. We should just all be happy that there is so much interest in the band again.  \m/  Nothing wrong with wanting the band to be the best that it can be. Peoples views on what that is is obviously going to be different.

I've criticized Frank for his timing. I can't see any fault whatsoever with Fortus, I like that he's versatile and can play some leads rather well. He's the guy they were looking for to replace Paul Tobias the whole time! Zack Wylde helped indicate that they were looking for someone to do more than just basic rhythm playing 

Frank is a woeful, terrible drummer and the worst to ever play in Guns, but I never noticed this until you pointed it out.  I'm always paying more attention to the big three.  His amateur drumming and terrible sound will not ruin the reunion for me.  :)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Billsfan said:

He's the guy they were looking for to replace Paul Tobias the whole time! Zack Wylde helped indicate that they were looking for someone to do more than just basic rhythm playing 

I guess that is where a lot of the friction is.  NuGnR were a complete joke to me and I don't care who they were looking to replace Paul Tobias hahah. And you really mean Axl when you say "they". He is the only one in the band that was in the band at that time that is still here.. Well Dizzy, but I doubt he has a say in anything.. I am pretty sure when you say "they" about the Zack Wylde thing you mean Axl too. It was all that stuff that forced everyone out of the band. I don't think I ever heard Slash, Duff, Izzy, Matt, Gilby or Dizzy ever mention needing a second lead guitarist..

The songs I like Fortus on are the ones when he plays his role as a basic rhythm player.. Sometimes less is more.. It is a fragile thing. These are iconic songs.. He need not fuck with them. A lot of time it is subtle but annoying things he does.. Maybe they would be more subtle if he wasn't so damn loud.. Like the added harmonics in Civil War or the Whammy bar in Don't cry..  Whammy bar lol. His solos do nothing for me either. He can shred but he just comes off as a show boat shredder session guitarist. It would probably fit in some band but it isn't the raw blues rock sound that made Guns legends. 

I guess this thread started about Frank.. If someone wants to start a thread about all the annoying things Fortus does to songs I am game.