Why does Frank need to lead the count into It's So Easy?

You get complaints about the setlists never changing, then you get complaints if they don't play the songs exactly as they sound on albums from the 80s and 90s.

As for the actual topic, I don't recall Frank doing that at the start of ISE with the previous line up and his count-ins have become a lot more noticeable in general to me on this tour.

If you want the same sound, listen to the album. What's wrong with the changes? I get it, no one likes change. They want it the same. But the great thing is that the different interpretations give the band the longevity and keeps them interested. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

A lot of people didn't complain about Frank and Fortus during the NuGnR era because no one gave a crap about the band at the time.

Good point and I'd also like to add that Fortus was in a band with DJ Ashba. Ashba makes Fortus look like Hendrix. So long as Nugnr existed, Ashba was the main target of most people's vitriol. Now, Fortus is coexisting alongside a certain person called Slash!

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 11:34 AM, Tom-Ass said:

I hear ya.. Didn't Duff ALWAY lead into the song no matter what band or year?  I wouldn't say it takes away from the energy of the song but it is odd. Frank wouldn't be my 1rst, 2nd or 3rd choice hah but he has still improved over all. You can tell he heard the criticism and put in the work. Props to him for that..

Fortus still annoys me on a lot of songs though.. I never thought the verses to Don't Cry were screaming for some whammy bar action.. Or the first verse in Civil War needed some useless harmonics thrown in there. He just seems like he adds these things for the sake of adding them and it sounds tacky. 

Slash, Axl and Duff have been kicking so much ass that it makes it real easy to ignore Fortus though..

I agree, the whammy bar on Don't Cry is like WTF?  Frank needs to slow down the tempo on several songs.  Sounds like they are racing through them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tremolo said:

And Fortus is a much more skilled guitar player than Slash.

Slash is great, he developed his own sound early on and it's always recognizable. But if we talk about technique, Fortus is in a far superior league.

They're different breeds, and Slash is a monster presence on stage, but Fortus can shine on his own. It's just different styles, that's what people don't get.

Fortus doesn't have the "IT" factor.. He sounds like a million other session guitarists.

When you hear Slash, 99% of the time you know it is him.. That is the sign of something special.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, tremolo said:

Nailed it.

But I don't get why people say Ashba was a douche.

I know his guitar-playing wasn't that good, but he was always pretty cool to the fans, very approachable and friendly. Sure, the guy was trying TOO HARD to be liked and that always feels uncomfortable and unnatural, but I wouldn't call that a douchebag attitude.

I will absolutely never criticize Ashba for the way he treated fans. He was always 100% cool from any story I've heard. I've met him and have a picture with him. But, as you say, he tried too hard to be bad ass, which I didn't like. And I thought he was using GnR to sell shit: i.e. Ashbaswag. That I really didn't like...

Then the top hat and the LP with all the cigarette burns.... 

Some people liked him. I know how it feels since I like Frank n Fortus, and think they are the right guys moving forward. (Guest appearances or Izzy songwriting always welcome)...

10 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Good point and I'd also like to add that Fortus was in a band with DJ Ashba. Ashba makes Fortus look like Hendrix. So long as Nugnr existed, Ashba was the main target of most people's vitriol. Now, Fortus is coexisting alongside a certain person called Slash!

Fortus was coexisting alongside Buckethead too.

12 hours ago, tremolo said:

And Fortus is a much more skilled guitar player than Slash.

Bruh just mentioned the other guitar player with Slash.  And in the same sentence.  No one knows or cares about the other guitar player because the other guitar player has contributed literally nothing--not a single known riff or solo--to the rock world.  Living rock guitar legends like Slash--recognized the world over after just a few notes--don't even know who the other guitarist is.  Slash tells him to fetch him his top hat, NA beers and tacos.

Slash's melodic solos are legendary, not because of technique but feel. But those solos are nothing without a good rhythm player and Izzy was absolutely brilliant in that regard. Izzy is, perhaps, a better player than Slash because he has a lot of knowledge of other musical styles - listen to his solo albums. I'm eager to hear how Fortus and Slash will sound on new songs.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Slash has more skill in his left nut than Fortus ever has.

Definitely.  Fortus is a great cover artist.  Pay him whatever he asks for and he will play your favorite song that another musician wrote.

That's the difference with Slash.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, tremolo said:

No.

Fortus can play stuff that's way too much for Slash's technical skills.

That doesn't make Slash a worse guitar player than Fortus, and it doesn't make Fortus a better guitar player than Slash, since that is very subjective. But if we talk about technical skills, Fortus will eat Slash for supper (top hat included) any day.

lolol

2 hours ago, tremolo said:

I agree, but that doesn't make him any less skilled than Slash.

Not doubt the guy is skilled. I just don't like his style of playing on a lot of Guns N' Roses songs. I think he would be better suited in a different band or genre..

4 hours ago, tremolo said:

No.

Fortus can play stuff that's way too much for Slash's technical skills.

That doesn't make Slash a worse guitar player than Fortus, and it doesn't make Fortus a better guitar player than Slash, since that is very subjective. But if we talk about technical skills, Fortus will eat Slash for supper (top hat included) any day.

Bollocks.

• Like 1

I'm guessing he just counts them in so everybody is on the same page.  It's a giant stage and sometimes your ears play tricks on you.   Even with monitors it's helpful to have a loud cymbal punching through for certainty.

I noticed the count as well. Might be something he worked out with Duff. I imagine coming out onstage to a roaring crowd only being able to rely on your sound crew to hear the notes of a bass intro to start your set could easily turn into a nightmare. If he uses a metronome during GN'R's set then that's even a harder factor to deal with in that situation. Everyone saw how he fucked up the intro to Jungle at the Troubadour show and its even more obvious that he stresses the count in on Jungle as well as ISE. I don't get why Steven, Matt, and Brain could handle it, no problem.

I don't necessarily like the count in for ISE because of that godawful china symbol he hits on it. It'd sound way cooler on a hi hat or something. I could be wrong, but I don't believe he was not doing this in the shows before the US tour. 

Edited by sunnsational