Slash covers Elton Johns Rocket Man

This should be an interesting version
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/slash-rocket-man/

Guns N’ Roses guitarist Slash has updated Elton John‘s “Rocket Man” in honor of a stuntman’s attempt at Evel Knievel’s jump across Idaho’s Snake River Canyon.
Slash recorded the new version for use as the theme music for a Kickstarter campaign created to help fund Eddie Braun’s daredevil project after receiving John’s permission. Braun will use a 10,000 horse-power rocket on Sept. 17 in hopes of getting farther than Knievel did more than four decades earlier in a failed try on Sept. 8, 1974. The new rocket has been appropriately dubbed “Evel Spirit.”
Each person who donates to the Kickstarter campaign will receive a download of “Rocket Man,” performed by Slash, Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators at Sunset Sound Studio in Hollywood. “I approached the rock icon Slash, who I knew to be an Evel Knievel fan, and asked if he would be interested in being involved with my rocket project,” Braun notes on his Kickstarter page. “He gave us the most awesome gift we could ever dream:  a theme song!”
He says it was Slash’s idea to include the song as a reward with every donation. “I’m so honored to have been given the most epic theme song, by the most epic guitarist of all time,” Braun added.
Braun plans to live-stream his jump; viewers can donate $10 to watch his attempt on the same Kickstarter page. “Rocket Man” was originally featured on Elton John’s 1972 album Honky Chateau, and reached the Top 10 in the U.S.

Edited by vloors
  • Like 4

On 8/3/2016 at 6:50 AM, nonok said:

It's sacrilege for a GNR member to cover an Elton John song without Axl. :lol:

Agreed.  And although we don't know if Axl was given a right of first refusal, I don't agree with Slash recording solo material during the band's reunion tour.  Although I suppose it's fair game if Axl is touring with AC/DC, I think the less of this solo stuff that happens, the better chance there is that we'll get new music from this current lineup of Guns N' Roses. 

22 hours ago, sjlgnr said:

I don't agree with Slash recording solo material during the band's reunion tour.

Why does it need anybody's approval? Secondly, you don't even know when it was recorded. It could have been during the hiatus from late April until late June. Lastly, practically every member of band has done work outside of the band while still with the band at some point in time. AXL has recorded vocals for the likes of Alice Cooper, Don Henley, Gilby Clarke, etc. I don't see the big deal here.

15 hours ago, moreblack said:

It was that kind of thinking that made him leave in the first place.

I thought it was because Axl called Slash's ball ugly and so Slash took his ball and went home. Then Axl tried to explain that he thought the ball wasn't that bad  (though still ugly) and he'd like to fix it and make it all pretty and Slash stuck out his tongue at him and found new friends to play with.  There may have been some pouting and Nyah, nyah, nyahs on both sides.

It really didn't help that Axl decided to play hide and go seek in the middle of their game in the first place.

Edited by sanity_lost

11 hours ago, starlight said:

why don't Elton and GNR play together again like in 1992. It'd cool to see Axl and Elton duet on stage again. I loved the appearance at the MTV video music awards.

One of the best, If not the best live version of November Rain ever.

• 2 weeks later...