07/31/16 - New Orleans Mercedes Benz Superdome

downzy

3 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

This is still the first leg of the NITLT Tour. They have made more changes to this setlist than the first leg of the Illusions tour and it's not even close.

Not true really, not even close...

They hit of UYI tour with two RIR gigs in 1991, opened both with PTU, then they used different openers -  Nightrain, RNDTH, PC, WTTJ, they even opened with Coma in Richfield!

In the first leg of  UYI tour, just in in June 1991 - 18 gigs, 8 different openers and they've played aprox35 different songsthat month.

This is just out of my head, I don't have  time to do a detailed  research now, but check out setlist.fm for 1991-93 gigs. Lots of changes, lots of variations.

Edited by MisterNo

16 minutes ago, Jordan Rose said:

Shall we just start the next show thread now? Wont take long to fill 30 pages with endless bitching.

Fucking setlist wankers. 

Hey Jordan

Just curious... what are you making of this reunion? As one of the biggest CD-era fans I was curious to hear your thoughts on how it's gone down so far. At least Axl hasn't dropped the CD material, which I thought he might do if he ever reunited with Slash, so that's one thing...

Axl's face is shining from the sweat when there were close-up in the videos, wasn't hw dying because of the heat? 

15 minutes ago, Jordan Rose said:

Shall we just start the next show thread now? Wont take long to fill 30 pages with endless bitching.

Fucking setlist wankers. 

i actually take this endless complaining of the setlist as compliments and proof they're doing great, the only thing you can say of the perfomances are that they sound really good and the only thing we can talk about (complain, because the things really talked about are the negative ones) is the setlist that we have a logical explanation for.

Everything is going amazing and i'm happy.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, giuls said:

i actually take this endless complaining of the setlist as compliments and proof they're doing great, the only thing you can say of the perfomances are that they sound really good and the only thing we can talk about (complain, because the things really talked about are the negative ones) is the setlist that we have a logical explanation for.

Everything is going amazing and i'm happy.

Yes,  the setlist is logical - the are older, they just reunited, playing big shows, there is a lot at stake...

They are putting great shows, playing longer setlists then UYI tour, giving their best. And they are doing great! 

Let's just keep it that way as long as possible :)

Edited by MisterNo
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Eddie Money said:

Decent show last night.  I was back at my hotel and sound asleep by 12:30.  A long weekend in New Orleans can really beat the shit out of the best of us.  

I thought the band sounded A+, I'll give Axl a B+. I respect how hard he works to perform and give it his all even when the crowd is lame.  In last night's case, I'll give the audience a C- grade. It really lacked energy and excitement compared to the other shows I've seen on this tour.  Maybe because it was Sunday night. 

As as far as the set list is concerned, I think the current one works pretty well.  The casual fans I've gone to the shows with sometimes seem lost somewhere in the middle until Sweet Child is played but overall I think the pace is good.  I don't think there is much room to try new songs in the middle of the leg of the tour.  The ticket prices are just too high for Axl to mess up the lyrics to a song he doesn't sing regularly.  I have no doubt they will change things up a bit when they go south. 

I may have seen my last GNR show live but I'm hoping they see enough demand for an arena tour next fall in the markets they didn't hit this time around.  The United States is a big place there are lots of places that haven't been played.  

What do you think was the best show you've seen this tour?

20 minutes ago, Jordan Rose said:

Hey dude. Well, when it was first officially announced I wrote a really long post saying how I never wanted this 'happy ending' we were never owed and how, after taking Axl's side 100% and fully supporting the CD era, it felt like a total betrayal to just do this without any explanation whatsoever. Not to say that getting a replacement for BBF and playing more Vegas hits shows was what I wanted, just that it felt like such a slap in the face after all the cancer comments etc. 

But right now I couldn't be happier. As an Axl fan first, this year has just been incredible. One awesome thing after another and the fact that Axl and Slash are clearly so happy onstage together and bringing out the best in each other is like the glue binding all this awesome shit together. And I never even cared about or wanted that to happen. But its just been magic.

I mean, if somebody had predicted this would all happen back in 2013, it would have sounded like an alternate universe. 

I never for a second thought they'd drop Chinese altogether but I am blown away that they've already played nearly half of it and especially that they did Twat and Sorry. It bodes very well for Axl getting the second half of Chinese out. 

It's funny because, as you probably noticed, I was one of the biggest complainers during 2011-2014, particularly about shit setlists and no new music. But now i'm constantly defending the reunion I never wanted to a lot of the people who hated the new band(s). I mean, if they go back to play the same places a second time with the same set i'll be first in line to bitch but now is not the time. 

Cool shit:

Happy Axl.

Happy Slash and Duff.

Slash and Duff getting on great with the rest of the band.

Axl going to rehearsals and hanging with everyone.

Axl and Slash becoming friends again and not just doing it for the $.

Axl/DC (as long as it doesn't shorten his singing career).

Axl learning how to be a more amicable band member by being in AC/DC, doing 20 rehearsals, going on stage on time/EARLY etc

Axl going on stage on time/EARLY almost every show.

Axl ditching the 2011-2014 Disguise and dressing like a rock god again.

Axl taking off the hats, bandanna and sunglasses.

Axl performing and running around and engaging the crowd like it's 2010 again. 

Fucking incredible setlist with a good chunk of Chinese.

Coma. Fuck.

Twat. Holy fuck.

Sorry. What the fuck?!

Catcher!

Slither in the alts. 

DTJ.....home fuck.

With your ass in the air! (Misogyny aside, I can't not smile when he sings that XD)

Slash and Duff have listened to, enjoyed and played on some of the next album and will probably bring new material to the table for it.

The crazy China Exchange interview. 

Tenderness.

Axl and Guns getting more good press in a few months than the last 20 years. 

Axl singing fucking awesome. (I'm totally cool with him holding back on the rasp, even if he's giving it 100% for AC/DC. It's not inconceivable that, if he's careful, he could stay at this level for the next decade).

Tommy went to two shows. 

Slash played Bucket's Twat solo.

Jon Bongiovi can suck Axl's dick.

But they might pull out Twat or Sorry or Catcher.....or Slither.

Interesting to hear your thoughts. I wish I was as enthused as you were, I think for me, I'm just tired of no new shit at this stage. Yes it's great to see Axl front a band that he seems to be invested in and proud of (something I didn't feel from 11-14), yes it's nice to have Slash and Duff back and yes, Coma is pretty fucking rad. I'm also pleased (and relieved) that Axl hasn't abandoned the CD material. This time last year any hope for CD2 seemed dead in the water, but now... well, the dream is alive I guess.

But I used to check each new show thread religiously, but these days I find it hard to as enthused by it all. I think for me, I won't be able to feel truly invested in the new lineup until they do new music together. At this stage it doesn't even have to be an album, just a couple of songs or something, just to show me that GNR are not just a travelling greatest hits act. It is fun to see Slash on the CD songs and I was floored when he did Sorry. But that's not enough to really get my blood pumping. It's been too many years of performing the same songs (albeit with different lineups) for me to think "man, wouldn't it be awesome if they did this song tonight." I miss that feeling. If that makes me one of the setlist whingers then so be it.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Interesting to hear your thoughts. I wish I was as enthused as you were, I think for me, I'm just tired of no new shit at this stage. Yes it's great to see Axl front a band that he seems to be invested in and proud of (something I didn't feel from 11-14), yes it's nice to have Slash and Duff back and yes, Coma is pretty fucking rad. I'm also pleased (and relieved) that Axl hasn't abandoned the CD material. This time last year any hope for CD2 seemed dead in the water, but now... well, the dream is alive I guess.

But I used to check each new show thread religiously, but these days I find it hard to as enthused by it all. I think for me, I won't be able to feel truly invested in the new lineup until they do new music together. At this stage it doesn't even have to be an album, just a couple of songs or something, just to show me that GNR are not just a travelling greatest hits act. It is fun to see Slash on the CD songs and I was floored when he did Sorry. But that's not enough to really get my blood pumping. It's been too many years of performing the same songs (albeit with different lineups) for me to think "man, wouldn't it be awesome if they did this song tonight." I miss that feeling. If that makes me one of the setlist whingers then so be it.

I would never call you a setlist whinger! To qualify for that means cupcakeing every thread saying the same thing over and over. 

Hmm, interesting. Considering we pretty much felt the same a year ago we're in pretty different places about it now. Actually, I remember that you really like BBF. I never enjoyed any of his stuff on the album or live and the BBF/DJ band with Axl on auto-pilot in 2011-2014 just turned me off so much that i'm finding it really easy to invest in this lineup. 

Here's the thing: I am super optimistic that we'll get Chinese part two with plenty of Bucket and Finck on it with contributions from Slash/Duffand a few completely new Slash/Duff songs. And once the ball really gets rolling and the record company decide to give Axl some fucking support for the first time in 20 years I think it's very possible we'll see a few more records in the next decade. The only thing that's going to stop that happening is if Axl and Slash fall out, and it's looking pretty damn good so far. 

I'm totally guessing that when it comes to putting out the next record, Axl is going to need to compromise a fair bit to keep Slash happy and it's very much in his interest to do so. Because if Slash left again or Axl fired him, there is no way Axl will ever get away playing with Guns without him again. 

I'm assuming they're going to at least hit all the major markets once before putting the record out and in the meantime i'm totally cool with waiting. I mean, it's been so long I don't mind if it's another 12-18 months. The odd surprise like Catcher, Twat Sorry etc is more than enough to keep me checking the threads and feeling excited. And they're surely pull out more surprises in S.A. and Europe. 

2 minutes ago, Jordan Rose said:

I would never call you a setlist whinger! To qualify for that means cupcakeing every thread saying the same thing over and over. 

Hmm, interesting. Considering we pretty much felt the same a year ago we're in pretty different places about it now. Actually, I remember that you really like BBF. I never enjoyed any of his stuff on the album or live and the BBF/DJ band with Axl on auto-pilot in 2011-2014 just turned me off so much that i'm finding it really easy to invest in this lineup. 

Here's the thing: I am super optimistic that we'll get Chinese part two with plenty of Bucket and Finck on it with contributions from Slash/Duffand a few completely new Slash/Duff songs. And once the ball really gets rolling and the record company decide to give Axl some fucking support for the first time in 20 years I think it's very possible we'll see a few more records in the next decade. The only thing that's going to stop that happening is if Axl and Slash fall out, and it's looking pretty damn good so far. 

I'm totally guessing that when it comes to putting out the next record, Axl is going to need to compromise a fair bit to keep Slash happy and it's very much in his interest to do so. Because if Slash left again or Axl fired him, there is no way Axl will ever get away playing with Guns without him again. 

I'm assuming they're going to at least hit all the major markets once before putting the record out and in the meantime i'm totally cool with waiting. I mean, it's been so long I don't mind if it's another 12-18 months. The odd surprise like Catcher, Twat Sorry etc is more than enough to keep me checking the threads and feeling excited. And they're surely pull out more surprises in S.A. and Europe. 

Yeah, I really loved Ron in the band, and to be honest, I'm a bit bitter about Axl's lack of interest in him as a potential collaborator (I know I'm probably one of about 12 people who feels this way though, haha). A lot of my favourite guitar parts on Chinese were Ron's bits, the Shacklers solo and the tapping at the end, his beautiful lead work on Catcher. I miss him in the band, although his work in Art of Anarchy is pretty amazing, so at least I have that.

I think a part of me still feels as if Axl took the easy road. I supposed it can't be easy being public enemy number one all those years and taking all that shit for so long. And don't get me wrong, I love original GNR with Slash/Duff/Izzy etc. But Ron was my second favourite member to Axl, so I'd be lying if I said I wasn't still butthurt over it.

I wish I believed that a new record was 12-18 months away, but I really don't. All the time they're on the road is time they could be recording. I know they could do both simultaneously (but I somehow doubt that will happen) and I also know Axl has a tonne of shit ready to go, but I don't see Duff/Slash just agreeing to put out whatever Axl feels like, I think there will have to be some compromise on Axl's part. And I don't believe for one second we will hear Bucket/Finck solos on any future GNR albums.

Just my two cents...

1 hour ago, Gibbo said:

What do you think was the best show you've seen this tour?

Nashville, by far.  I thought Axl's voice was best - the crowd energy was great.   

I loved the excitement in Mexico City and the Mexican fans were very cool.  The ones around me kept asking me if I was going to vote for Mr. Trump.  In that environment, I think I may have gotten trampled if I told them that "we were going to build a wall and Mexico is going to pay for it", so I kind of ignored those questions.  Seriously, I had a blast in the CDMX.  I felt that the band still seemed a little off though and Axl's voice wasn't nearly as good as Nashville.  

Most fun - Vegas, but that's because the strip felt like a big GNR convention.  

Worst - Kansas City

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dally said:

It`s anoying and boring to read trough endless pages of people complaining about the setlist.... it used to be fun reading the show treads, but now it is just sad:facepalm:

on topic, looks like yet another killer show:drool:

To be fair nobody complained until Seeker came on. Even then everyone stayed relatively joyful about the show. There was some complaints that Axl had the jacket and hat on 90% of the show, and then I went off about PC and how terrible it is that they've ruined the greatest closing song ever....other than that everyone knew what to expect and all in all you're right, another great show. 

• Like 1

My favorite part of last night was by far Civil War. God i love that song. It sounded fucking amazing and i agree could be in the running for the best version of the tour. 

Ive said this before but ill say it again, Axl and the gang really look like they are having fun this tour. You can really tell they are making up for years and years of missed oppertunities. During Layla, the camera was positioned perfectly behind Slash, to where you could see Axl playing the piano from behind Slash and Axl looked up from his fingers and just stares at Slash playing that solo. I dunno, to me it was a very special moment and i can only imagine what Axl was thinking while looking over at him. 

The crowd was very lackluster and even bored in my opinion. EVERYONE in my section was drunk. EVERYBODY. And not just drunk, plastered. Beer and water were all over the ground and people were sitting from being too drunk. It was a mess. Never understood going to a show, any concert for that matter, to just get completely shit faced. My friends, who were two seats over from my girlfriend and i's position were told to sit down during This I Love by some guy and what looked to be his wife. The guy was wearing a fedora and had a selfie stick. When it got quiet i looked over at my friends and screamed "i wish you could stand up to see this greatness" and then looked at the couple. Lets just say they looked like they would be happy to pay for my funeral.

I know in my review of the Nashville show i bashed KOHD for being too long and drawn out and boring and blah blah blah. But i gotta hand it too them this time. When Slash came in it sounded like we were about to get a classic UYI KOHD. But Axl put a stop to that with his little "oooouuuuuuuuu"'s. Not alot of people have said this on this forum, but Slash and Fortus really compliment each other. They pick up right where the other one left off and sound perfect together. They also let each other share the spotlight which is pretty awesome when you have Slash on stage. 

My only complaint is that better solo.. Yuck. It seemed like Slash had some sort of plan going in but he just fucked up and it came out wrong and instead he went straight into something else that sounded better (no pun intended). I honestly wish Fortus would handle the CD material solo wise. I do find it amazing that Slash is even playing anything off that album. Last year we wouldnt even expect that to happen, let alone Slash even being in the band! But if Slash is going into blind everynight, i dont know what to expect. Slashs style doesnt really even mesh with the Chi Dem material. But other then that i love Better and it sounded good vocal wise to me! 

Waiting for them after the show was a weird experience. I know i tried to live update what happened, but it got weirder as time went on. When we got to the back loading area around 20 minutes after they got off stage, we were stuck at the end of the street as there was security blocking us from getting anywhere close to the loading bays. We waited an hour while most of the staff that was working the event came pouring out and the big trucks for the show came driving in to load. While all of this was going on, there was about 7 of us waiting to see if anything would happen. After that hour the security gaurds blocking the entrance just left. As soon as that happened, All 7 of us started moving up to the loading bay. When we moved up Slash and his posse immediately came out and left. We were too far away to catch him, even though im sure we would have been told to fuck off as soon as we got there. We did get up to where we could see inside the Dome at the loading bay,  and as soon as we got there, Fortus and his girflriend(?) come out on a cart and Fortus immediately got into a van. Next in another cart is Melissa, Kat, and Fernando. Fernando and Kat were like what the fuck?! And Melissa was nice and waved. The cart that dropped that off circled around and some big dude with a beard told us we need to get out of the area. 2 people in our group took that as there cue to get out of there, but 5 of us stayed. We walked back to where big beard man told us to leave from and waited. About 10 minutes later, some memeber of team brazil (all acess pass, bad apples t-shirt, beard, small pony tail, and a skateboard) was staring at all of us for a good 10 minutes. Eventually he got a security guard to come tell us to leave. After that 2 more left, so then there was 3. We waited a bit longer at a different location and we saw a cart come out and 2 guys get out there car and run to the cart. They were chased away by security and they ran back to there car while big beard dude ran out and talked to them at there car. That car that left was a nice black limo type SUV. We assumed it was Axl, waited a bit longer, then left.  

Oh well! Ill see you guys in Dallas on Wednesday! 

Edited by KeyserSoze
  • Like 4

Epic and crazy night!! Entire front row in section to my right sat down most of the show. I was spirited and tried to get them to stand up but they weren't having it. Maybe they were just too mesmerized of the magic they were witnessing on stage. 

Until we meet again...Friday, in H-Town