07/31/16 - New Orleans Mercedes Benz Superdome

downzy

On 8/1/2016 at 2:54 PM, Towelie said:

Yeah, I really loved Ron in the band, and to be honest, I'm a bit bitter about Axl's lack of interest in him as a potential collaborator (I know I'm probably one of about 12 people who feels this way though, haha). A lot of my favourite guitar parts on Chinese were Ron's bits, the Shacklers solo and the tapping at the end, his beautiful lead work on Catcher. I miss him in the band, although his work in Art of Anarchy is pretty amazing, so at least I have that.

I think a part of me still feels as if Axl took the easy road. I supposed it can't be easy being public enemy number one all those years and taking all that shit for so long. And don't get me wrong, I love original GNR with Slash/Duff/Izzy etc. But Ron was my second favourite member to Axl, so I'd be lying if I said I wasn't still butthurt over it.

I wish I believed that a new record was 12-18 months away, but I really don't. All the time they're on the road is time they could be recording. I know they could do both simultaneously (but I somehow doubt that will happen) and I also know Axl has a tonne of shit ready to go, but I don't see Duff/Slash just agreeing to put out whatever Axl feels like, I think there will have to be some compromise on Axl's part. And I don't believe for one second we will hear Bucket/Finck solos on any future GNR albums.

Just my two cents...

If he does put out his autobiography I hope it goes right up to date because I want to hear his complete take on the last 15 years more than anything. There were plenty of whispers that he wasn't inspired to collaborate on music with the last lineup but the reality could just as easily be that he already had one record and most of a third and they were hired to tour and not write. BBF's first contract stated that he would be obliged to step down immediately if at any point Bucket agreed to return. No idea how long that continued for but he was hired to play the difficult Slash and Bucket parts live and until the decks were cleared in terms of already recorded songs, that wasn't likely to change much. It's been said that he ultimately left because he realised he wasn't going to get any songwriting credits on the next record. I can see how much that would suck to a big fan of his.

I understand where you're coming from in terms of Axl taking the easy road and we wont know to what extent that's the case until the three of them all openly talk about how the reunion happened. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt at the moment. To me it appears more like a case of the only road rather than the easy road. In 2014 Axl had two guitarists making it very clear publicly or privately that they weren't going to hang around to promote another record with none of their songs on it. The band's box office draw was rapidly diminishing. The label probably weren't remotely interested in putting out the record Axl wanted to put out with that lineup touring it. And behind the scenes at the exact same time Duff was building a bridge between Axl and Slash. 

As ironic as it seems, the best chance Axl had to put out his record was to reunite with Slash and Duff and on top of that they all get to play stadiums again, get filthy rich and be friends again. Win win. 

5 hours ago, Towelie said:

This lineup may have been playing for only 2 months, but Axl Rose has been performing the same setlist for 15 years now.

Yeah, and boy was I hot about it when they came over in 2012 and they're still playing Jungle, Easy, Brownstone in the same order etc.... plus he's phoning it in with The Disguise.

But there are tens of thousands of people going to these stadium shows who haven't even Axl in the last 15 years. I'll agree to disagree but the set is what it needs to be. When they go round the world the second time we'll be getting new stuff and Breakdown etc

23 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

If he does put out his autobiography I hope it goes right up to date because I want to hear his complete take on the last 15 years more than anything. There were plenty of whispers that he wasn't inspired to collaborate on music with the last lineup but the reality could just as easily be that he already had one record and most of a third and they were hired to tour and not write. BBF's first contract stated that he would be obliged to step down immediately if at any point Bucket agreed to return. No idea how long that continued for but he was hired to play the difficult Slash and Bucket parts live and until the decks were cleared in terms of already recorded songs, that wasn't likely to change much. It's been said that he ultimately left because he realised he wasn't going to get any songwriting credits on the next record. I can see how much that would suck to a big fan of his.

I understand where you're coming from in terms of Axl taking the easy road and we wont know to what extent that's the case until the three of them all openly talk about how the reunion happened. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt at the moment. To me it appears more like a case of the only road rather than the easy road. In 2014 Axl had two guitarists making it very clear publicly or privately that they weren't going to hang around to promote another record with none of their songs on it. The band's box office draw was rapidly diminishing. The label probably weren't remotely interested in putting out the record Axl wanted to put out with that lineup touring it. And behind the scenes at the exact same time Duff was building a bridge between Axl and Slash. 

As ironic as it seems, the best chance Axl had to put out his record was to reunite with Slash and Duff and on top of that they all get to play stadiums again, get filthy rich and be friends again. Win win. 

I kind of agree, I certainly don't think an album consisting of the 09-14 lineup would've been seen as a financially sound investment by the label. But at what point do we stop making excuses for Axl?

I posted this in the thread "where do you see GNR after the tour is over?"...

GNR will continue on this tour until summer 2017 once they've exhausted all possible markets and milked the cash cow completely dry. They'll then take a years break where Slash will release and tour another album with Myles. GNR will come back in mid-2018 and announce a Vegas residency. Another year off and then in the fall of 2019 they'll release another greatest hits album (with one unreleased song that turns out to be an outtake from the UYI era) and they'll tour that all the while band members keep saying in interviews about how much "great music Axl has in the can."

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but unfotunately, to me, that scenario seems a lot more realistic than a new album in 18 months.

Edited by Towelie

4 hours ago, Towelie said:

I kind of agree, I certainly don't think an album consisting of the 09-14 lineup would've been seen as a financially sound investment by the label. But at what point do we stop making excuses for Axl?

I posted this in the thread "where do you see GNR after the tour is over?"...

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but unfotunately, to me, that scenario seems a lot more realistic than a new album in 18 months.

I'm supremely confident that you're gonna be pleasantly surprised :) Doesn't hurt to have low expectations though. But honestly, that scenario you outlined seems as likely to me as an imminent reunion sounded ten years ago. 

On 8/3/2016 at 11:51 PM, annablue said:

@KeyserSoze not sure if you know but I assume after every show there are meet and greets? those few lucky folks with backstage passes, how long after the show ended to you guys scoping out the loading bay? was that a planned thing or spontaneous! just curious. 

sorry, just seeing this! Im not sure if there are actual meet and greets with people after. Ive been seeing pictures where some of the band memebers are taking pictures with randoms after the show is over. We got out at the loading bay like 20 minutes after they got off stage and it was like an hour and 15 minutes before we saw them come out 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KeyserSoze said:

sorry, just seeing this! Im not sure if there are actual meet and greets with people after. Ive been seeing pictures where some of the band memebers are taking pictures with randoms after the show is over. We got out at the loading bay like 20 minutes after they got off stage and it was like an hour and 15 minutes before we saw them come out 

I wonder why these randoms aren't on here showing off!! I would be!