Slash/Fortus combo, the best in the world right now? Fortus in the Partnership?

Slash and Richard Fortus sound PERFECT!

They seem to really get along extremely well : they complete each other on guitar and they sound amazing.

Fortus is almost a "guitar hero" by himself, he is so talented and so good that if he joined the band back in the days he could have easily been a Guitar Hero along with Slash. 

Can't wait for studio recordings! 

Edited by Caraibes
  • Like 4

Slash is just dominating these shows.  He's upped his game, and in turn Axl has upped his.  Fortus is along for the ride, benefiting from playing alongside Slash.  With that said yeah he's been a decent fit so far for the tour.    

• Like 3

The duo sound really tight in their performances together, really shows that GnR never needed 3 guitarists on stage at once

Though I gotta give best guitar combo props to Dave Mustaine & Marty Friedman

• Like 1

If u talk about level and capacity this is the second best guitar tándem ever ( u know, after the yardbirds).

Slash is one of the greatest ( for many the greatest) ever.. And fortus is a enormesly talented, capable, versatil, guitar player ( he could be lead guitar with soo many other bands).. And he is by far the best ( talking about quality and level, performance) the best ( by far) rythm guitar gnr ever had.  A total deluxe guy for a 2nd guitar

But if u talk about chemistry ,  they're not  quite there yet, but they'll get there.  Theyre getting more and more tight show after show.   However they bring wonderfull shows every single show.  Kohd is pita some times, but i enjoy their work very much on that one. And on wywh as well

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Caraibes said:

Slash and Richard Fortus sound PERFECT!

They seem to really get along extremely well : they complete each other on guitar and they sound amazing.

Fortus is almost a "guitar hero" by himself, he is so talented and so good that if he joined the band back in the days he could have easily been a Guitar Hero along with Slash. 

Can't wait for studio recordings! 

No, two lead guitarists in my opinion. No one has ever locked in with Slash like Izzy did. Best combo ever. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

166244slash4tus.jpg

Slash has played with plenty of mediocre musicians outside of GnR. A Fortus endorsement from him doesn't really carry a lot of weight. Keep in mind that Fortus has the unenviable task of replacing a world class musician like Izzy. That's why some of us are more critical.

• Like 1

Slash and Fortus have never written anything original together. They have merely been cobbled together from disparate time frames. 

If we are discussing great guitarist duos, this is what we should be discussing, concurrent in bold,

Keef n' Brian (the benchmark really)

Keef n' Mick Taylor (my own personal favourite of the Stones' guitar duos).

Keef n' Ronnie

Neil Young and Danny Whitten

Neil Young - Poncho

Neil Young - Lukas Nelson

Dylan - Mike Bloomfield

Dylan - Robbie Robertson (listen to the second side of the 'Royal Albert Hall' show)

Page - Beck

Angus - Malcolm

Perry - Whitford

Allman - Betts

Allman - Clapton

Slash - Izzy

Robertson - Gorham

Strummer - Jones

Gossard - McCready

Heck, you could make an argument for Slash - Kushner or Slash - Gilby, and I've not even mentioned Wishbone Ash and the heavy metal and thrash duelists (not my genre)!!

• Like 1

first of all Slash is passive aggressive so he would never come out and be that blunt about anybody unless its Paul Tobias...but on an actual point, i think the gig was offered while he was in Guns N' Roses but Fortus turned it down due to him being in GNR.

second Fortus is talented but he'll never be Izzy and thats that

Edited by -W.A.R-
  • Like 2

Not even close..

Fortus is your standard everyday lead session guitarist and doesn't respect his role as a rhythm guitarist..

I thought back in April they were like Oil and Water. I don't necessarily think that anymore but I don't think they are a great combo. It works for the most part but Slash has had better chemistry with almost every other guitarist he has played with.

Some songs work. Songs like Out Ta Get Me and Jungle sound great. 

But he still plays too loud at times... And Whammy bar and harmonics at annoying times.. It's like his ego is too big to just chill out and play rhythm without trying to spice things up. Maybe it wouldn't be so annoying without so much re-verb and volume. Their lead styles don't blend at all. They should just do away with the whole Rocket Queen Jam all together. The Fortus one doesn't fit the song at all and Slash's solo over the rhythm doesn't sound much better while Slash was tearing the roof off the place on the the solo with his solo band.  The Fortus solo solo in Nightrain is tacky.. Just trying to fit as many notes in it as he can. His solos in KOHD are not needed.. 

Does he ruin the shows? Hell no, but there are certainly better options for this band. Good thing that Slash is an absolute beast and makes it work.. But they aren't a great combo..

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 1