Slash/Fortus combo, the best in the world right now? Fortus in the Partnership?

1 hour ago, EvH said:

The amount of stupidity in this thread is amazing. I swear some people are always complaining.

You don't like the reunion as it's happening right now? Okay, there you go: gone slash and Duff, here come Stinson and Cashba. Satisfied? Cause apparently the reunion is worthless if there's no Izzy or Steven.

Not one person has said they don't like the reunion that I have seen.. I think it is fucking awesome.. Could be even better with someone else on the second guitar. Doesn't have to be Izzy although that would be infuckingcredible.

16 hours ago, RONIN said:

Fortus is trying to define himself in the shadow of Saul from Pasadena. Therein lies the rub. He's not working in the best interest of the song nor is his playing bringing out the best in Slash. Like Frank, he just wanks off and improvises much to the detriment of the song. 

But hey, if you love what he does, more power to you.

The guy is playing and enjoying it. It's rock n' roll. No need to obsess about him, how he plays, what he wants, if he is 'in the shadow' of this or that..it's all in your mind. Just relax and enjoy it for what it is. It's music, it's supposed to be fun and I'm glad Richard doesn't give a flying fuck and does what he enjoys and what suits him the most.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kenan said:

The guy is playing and enjoying it. It's rock n' roll. No need to obsess about him, how he plays, what he wants, if he is 'in the shadow' of this or that..it's all in your mind. Just relax and enjoy it for what it is. It's music, it's supposed to be fun and I'm glad Richard doesn't give a flying fuck and does what he enjoys and what suits him the most.

This! ;)

IMO, Richard will be ALL OVER THE PLACE when a record comes out : lead, solos, rythm, riffs, licks, arrangements and everything in between.

It's a matter of time. When the next record is out, he will be everywhere.

Edited by Caraibes

On 6/8/2016 at 7:07 PM, Caraibes said:

This! ;)

IMO, Richard will be ALL OVER THE PLACE when a record comes out : lead, solos, rythm, riffs, licks, arrangements and everything in between.

Well yeah, rumour says he's also gonna be playing bass, drums and keyboards. The only reason Slash, Duff, Dizzy, Melissa and Frank are in the band is because Richard the almighty can't play it all live...

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

On 8/6/2016 at 6:40 AM, Kenan said:

Fair enough and I can get behind that. No one is obsessing here about Fortus and his playing -- read the OP's post -- he says that the Slash/Fortus combo is the best in the world right now and that Fortus should be included in the partnership. With a thread like that, it's only fair game to expect people who don't agree to respond accordingly. Frankly the idea of including Fortus in the partnership is absurd and outrageous.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Well yeah, rumour says he's also gonna be playing bass, drums and keyboards. The only reason Slash, Duff, Dizzy, Melissa and Frank are in the band is because Richard the almighty can't play it all live...

:rolleyes:

Don't forget, Richard will be taking over singing duties from Axl as well on the next record. Slash, Axl, etc will just be "additional musicians" like Matt Sorum.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, JustanUrchin said:

You mean equity share, I assume?  The original partnership dissolved in ’91 when Izzy sold his equity subsequent to Adler’s firing.  A partnership between the other three continued throughout the Axl Rose Touring Band decades.  The question is whether that partnership was dissolved in favor of a new PA prior to the threeunion or if the terms of the longstanding PA were modified.  In any event, three things are clear:

1.  A PA exists, be it new or modified.  Recent Exhibit:  Opie Skjerseth, July 26, 2016, “all three of them” decided on touring matters.  A partnership is a business entity.  Staging is enormous overhead.  This critical biz decision would not have been made collectively if it weren’t a partnership.

2.  GnR is not Axl’s band.  The few but vocal Axl Rose Touring Band fans continue to push this myth.  Slash and Duff choosing not to continue publishing new music and touring with Axl did not dissolve the partnership.  Hence the litigation over licensing, merchandising, and royalties.  Axl wrestled the brand (band) name from the other two partners, and controlled new content and band (non)direction once the other two finally made the sensible decision to exit.  The result was 15 songs in 25 years and a spot on Wikipedia’s worst albums of all time.

3.  Izzy’s replacement is 49 years old and has zero known contributions to the rock music world—not a single riff or solo.  Why would Izzy’s replacement be offered an equity share?  He has never written/published a riff or solo known to the rock world in 49 years.  Izzy’s replacement has sustained himself financially for two decades as a hired hand playing material written by Slash and Izzy while also playing techno rock, pop rock, and “hip hop” with artists like Nsync and Rihanna.   If Izzy were in a grave, he’d been turning in it.

Nailed it. Maybe Fortus will set the rock world on fire at the spry age of 49. You never know :lol:

My understanding of the partnership between Axl, Slash, and Duff (correct me if I'm wrong please) -- the original partnership was modified after Izzy left (I'm assuming the other 3 bought him out essentially and absorbed his % to divide amongst themselves). Izzy was guaranteed a % of profits from GnR until the late 90's. Unfortunately for Izzy, GnR didn't release shit after he left. After '97 or '98, Izzy is cut out completely from profit sharing (I assume he still gets publishing royalties like Adler).

This modified partnership was rendered defunct by Axl who created a new GnR entity legally and left the original partnership at the end of 1995. This kills the old band symbolically and legally. Duff and Slash are essentially demoted to hired hands at this point and Axl tries to convince them to sign on as salaried employees into the new partnership. Duff signs on and Slash toys with the idea before ultimately refusing in '96. Duff leaves this partnership in the summer of '97. End of GnR and the original partnership is dead.

I'm not a lawyer, but my guess is they somehow legally resuscitated the original partnership (The one Axl left in '95) -- this partnership makes the three founding members (Duff, Axl, Slash) fully in control of the band. I'm guessing Axl has legal rights to the name and "nu band" (probably a separate legal entity).

If you look at the original press releases for the NITL tour, iirc they refer to Axl as the band founder and Duff and Slash as original members -- that can't be a mistake and I assume Axl and GnR management worded it that way on purpose. To the layman, it still seems like Axl's band but Duff and Slash are included as equal partners in profit sharing. 

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1

On 8/5/2016 at 0:00 AM, BorderlineCrazy said:

I think mentioning Richard was/is a session musician is not to claim that session musicians are bad, but to state that he didn't get to establish himself with his own band and his own songs. Jimmy Page was also a session musician but it was his work with Led Zeppelin what turned him into a legend. 

IMO, being a world class musician has more to do with the music you create than your ability to play an instrument, otherwise all those YouTube players would be world class players. How many people were touched by what Slash did on November Rain to the point of wanting to pick up a guitar and start playing? That's what makes him world class for me.

Even though I agree about Richard not being the best fit for GNR, I love his style so I'm happy to have him on board. Right now I think it's absurd to say that Richard is either a prodigy who deserves to be part of the partnership or a useless dude who got lucky. If the band (and especially Axl) decide to release a new album, maybe he'll have the chance to prove what he's capable of and we'll get to see how well can he and Slash create together.

Ps: Is it wrong to miss Izzy? He's one of the most brilliant songwriters in R&R's history so forgive us for loving him. Maybe none of us would be here if it wasn't for Izzy's vision and immense songwriting skills. No matter what happens in the future and what this band gets to create and achieve without him, that won't change nor erase what he's done. I'll always love and support GNR and at the same time (as long as he doesn't come back) I'll always miss Izzy.

You are absolutely on point. Nuff said!!

On 8/4/2016 at 9:06 AM, Babooshka said:

They don't gel at all imo. It's like watching Slash play with Camp Freddy or at some charity event. Yeah, he's playing with a talented guitarist, but it's a hodge podge.

Bullshit. Have you been to a show yet? Just curious because I've been to two and they're a fucking deadly combo. 

• Like 1

On 6.8.2016 at 0:07 AM, Caraibes said:

This! ;)

But why 

We have slush

Slush lead guitar man

Fortus rhythm guitar man

No make sense 

On 8/6/2016 at 4:51 AM, Free Bird said:

Do you know what's another great guitar combo?

http://youtu.be/wbaJt3z-ypQ

Totaly different leads but when they start soloing together at the same time both on their own way and on their own style, it fits the song perfectly. That's magic.

OH FUCK LOVE THIS TWIN GUITAR STUFF

LOVE WHEN TWO ROCKERS COLLIDE!

:headbang:

12 hours ago, Bono said:

Bullshit. Have you been to a show yet? Just curious because I've been to two and they're a fucking deadly combo. 

I have been to two shows.. I don't concur.. The last show was incredible but that was because of Slash, Axl and Duff... It didn't have anything to do with the Slash/Fortus chemistry in my eyes.. The show was amazing but still had a few flaws. Fortus was responsible for those.. They are better together than they were in April but it isn't like some natural chemistry.. Slash is just making it work.  I've warmed up to Frank somewhat but Fortus and Melissa just don't belong up there.  

9 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I've warmed up to Frank somewhat but Fortus and Melissa just don't belong up there.  

And when I say warmed up it doesn't mean that there aren't better options out there because there certainly are.. Many...

8 hours ago, Nosaj Thing said:

Slash will be everywhere in the next album - if they release one anyway.  Same goes for Axl and Duff.

Fortus will play rhythm and/or whatever he's told and get paid for it.  Zero songwriting credits and a "additional musician" thank you footnote printed on the booklet.  :)

I hope you are correct sir... It would be a shame if the guitars sounded even remotely like Chinese Democracy now that Slash is back...

• Like 2

On August 6, 2016 at 3:37 AM, Caraibes said:

A serious question. How old are you? 

• Like 4