Why is Izzy Stradlin' so underrated?

Izzy is the coolest fucker out there, he is an amazing musician and very underrated, I know he lives in his own world, but well my suggestion to him would be to come out and do some live shows, there are many fans who really love him a lot including me.

Its sad he is not a part of this "reunion" if he demanded for more money, then he din't do anything wrong, he deserves every single penny of it, he wrote most of the songs.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, eggers said:

Izzy was the heart and soul. It's of no surprise that the band slowly fell apart after he left.

Until they release a new album the band is still falling. lel

Edited by default_
  • Like 2

He isn't underrated... most fans know how important he was and how much he contributed.

For people who aren't really big fans it might be different because he wasn't someone you'd notice easily because he wasn't the frontman or lead guitarist (who always get more attention anyway) and he didn't look as noticeable as Slash and Axl, but that doesn't mean he's underrated.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

Izzy is not underrated by people who know and understand Guns N Roses and the process by which their greatest songs were written.  The chemistry between Slash and Izzy is second to none.  Hell, the killed it on Ghost on Slash's record a few years ago, once again proving they are a great match.

As for the casual fan.......Most casual observers only really know and recognize Axl and Slash. 

• Like 3

I love Izzy's solo music, River is one of my favourite albums. I don't think his underrated but it depends what you mean by Izzy being underrated?

If you are talking about his recognition with in GNR no! I think we all recognise what Izzy brought to the table. The  casual fan probably has no clue who half the band are, but do they have to know the back story to appreciate the music?

Outside of GNR his music does not get appreciated in the way I think it should, but he does little to help that. I rather think that's the way he wants it.

Are you referring to underrated as a Guitarist or songwriter all the other original members in various interviews or books have all given credit too Izzy and countless articles refer to how important he was to the band. His stage prescence worked perfectly In balance  to Axl/slash running around the stage, it's unfortunate they couldnt see it the same way.

In no way am I claiming Izzy to be a genius but I definantly have a lot of respect.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FuriousStyles said:

Izzy is an OG.

He helped write the music, create the image and attitude of one of the greatest rock n' roll bands ever. There's no underrating that.

Nothing changes that

7 hours ago, eggers said:

Izzy was the heart and soul. It's of no surprise that the band slowly fell apart after he left.

6 hours ago, Ralphelmo said:

He isn't. 

That's it and last but not least, he does whatever he wants whenever he wants to and doesn't give a shit about what the industry or random people out there think.

• Like 1

The original five were unique because they all contributed to what made them great. Izzy wasn't the Cobain of the band, writing 99% of everything while the other members simply added accents. Izzy wrote, Slash wrote, Duff wrote... even Adler. People forget this but according to the stories, it was he who heard Slash's legendary intro, saw it's promise and got the band to start working on SCOM which became their biggest song. 

The reason why the band suffered so much creatively when Izzy left was because again, he was 1/5th. Sure, they could have released Slash's music and called it a day but that wasn't good enough collectively and Axl knew it. Without Izzy, something was missing and I think none of them sans Slash were willing to ignore it.

Edited by Nintari
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, thunderram said:

IMO, the true answer is this. IZZY is underrated and overrated all at the same time. Underrated by the mainstream that doesn't really know much about him or his impact during the 85-91 era and overrated by the fanboys that believe he was the heart and soul of the band. IZZY was no doubt an integral part of the original band. When he left, the band lost something big. But the same happened when Steven left in 1990. And then again when SLASH and DUFF departed.

Yes, to all of this. 

• Like 1

It would help if the dude hadnt remained out of the public spotlight for 25 years..lol

But seriously, to me he's rated just fine. We know his contributions to Guns N Roses in terms of songwriting, and we know and appreciate his feel and sense of rhythm in terms of guitar playing on appetite and on the Illusions songs that he wasnt buried in the mix. 

He would be more well known if he wanted to be, because he's made tons of  cool solo records since he left Guns. But he doesnt give a shit about any of that, so he's never properly promoted any of his releases and hasnt toured behind them either. So it is what it is. 

• Like 1

I think he's very overrated. As far as him giving a "Tom Petty"-esque feel to the songs...Yeah, okay. Double Talkin' Jive is real Tom Petty, not Metal at all.
His solo songs are among the worst on the Illusions. You Ain't the First is one of the worst songs published by GN'R. He worked well when he had Axl, Slash and Duff to bounce off ideas with. His solo records are basically Keith Richards wannabe stuff. It is claimed GN'R "couldn't write" without him, yet they wrote great tracks like Coma, Locomotive, Don't Damn Me, Estranged, November Rain, and Breakdown without his input. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HeartbreakerWoman said:

I think he's very overrated. As far as him giving a "Tom Petty"-esque feel to the songs...Yeah, okay. Double Talkin' Jive is real Tom Petty, not Metal at all.
His solo songs are among the worst on the Illusions. You Ain't the First is one of the worst songs published by GN'R. He worked well when he had Axl, Slash and Duff to bounce off ideas with. His solo records are basically Keith Richards wannabe stuff. It is claimed GN'R "couldn't write" without him, yet they wrote great tracks like Coma, Locomotive, Don't Damn Me, Estranged, November Rain, and Breakdown without his input. 

Well I think the exact opposite, that those so called 'great tracks' such as Coma and Estranged are vastly inferior to the songs you deem ''the worst on the Illusions'', and that his solo albums are incredible, vastly superior to Chinese Democracy and Slash and Duff's combined projects.

Such is subjectivity!

Guns N' Roses somehow lack class when they don't have Izzy.

• Like 1

He's underrated to the general public because he is just the rhythm guitar player and his technical ability on guitar isn't something special.

His writing skills are more important to the band than his actual guitar playing, IMO.

The general public knows the music but just doesn't know who wrote which parts, so of course he isn't in the same spotlight as Axl and Slash.

The hardcore fans know his contributions to the band, they know his aera of responsibility. If they like it or not, is up to their own. 

I think 14 Years and Dust N Bones are one of the best songs on either Illusions. Their bluesy style and the fact Axl didn't fuck with them as he did with many other songs on these records may be a reason.

Besides of them, Izzy is credited to many hits and great songs along the catalog of GNR. To me he is very important to the band because I think most Guns tunes without him are less cohesive than these with him as a writer.

But if you take a look on his solo work, you will notice that lacks something. The power and the dynamic... the drive.

So all in all to me it's clear every member had his own important contribution to the band's sound that we all love. Especiallyl Axl, Izzy and Slash. Just imagine them without Axls voice, melodies or lyrics. Them without Izzys cord progressions or his Stonesy wibe. Them without Slash's riffs and solos.