Why is Izzy Stradlin' so underrated?

I don't think Izzy is underrated. Certainly not by fans like us. To the wider public he may be, but that's probably more to do with the fact that they don't know him. Slash and Axl were always the public face of the band. 

Any knowledgeable GnR fan knows how important Izzy was to their songwriting and the overall feel of the band. 

Edited by Original GNR
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Original GNR said:

I don't think Izzy is underrated. Certainly not by fans like us. To the wider public he may be, but that's probably more to do with the fact that they don't know him. Slash and Axl were always the public face of the band. 

Any knowledgeable GnR fan knows how important Izzy was to their songwriting and the overall feel of the band. 

He has a lot of detractors as you'll see in this thread.  My original post supporting Izzy has only a few more likes than a post saying that he's overrated and how "it's disgusting that fans think he's a genius". Nu fans :facepalm:

• Like 1

Izzy was pretty quick in pointing out that the lyrics to his latest song weren't a dig at the band- that's a change from his older tweets. And he's been silent for over a month. It might bode well for the California shows. After all if there is one sign you are involved with the band right now it's probably silence. 

I don't care if he's overrated or underrated or ..rated. I just hope he shows up a few times. 

Like A Dog is a fucking GREAT album. If you are so-so about Izzy's stuff you've heard I recommend you check it out, a lot more rocking than most of his albums. I believe most of the songs are what he wrote for Velvet Revolver but weren't used, there are actually couple of riffs used on both the Izzy album and the first VR.

Edited by eggers
  • Like 1

He was a the quietest members of GnR in amongst a band of big people with a lot of surrounding iconic folks, his contributions are most co-song-writing stuff and rhythm work which doesn't always lend itself to get plaudits and because, well, he never struck me as someone who particularly wanted to be rated.  People that are rated work hard at it, Izzy didn't seem to give a fuck...and still doesn't, bless him.  He was also out of GnR pretty quickly, what was it, four years?  And he was probably the most conventionally dressed out of the lot of em too.

On 8/6/2016 at 1:45 AM, iftheworld said:

Izzy is overrated in my opinion.

I agree. I think there's an ever prevalent circlejerk about him. It's true that his stuff on AFD is fantastic, but he was on that one album only and Slash contributed more. I can acknowledge that Izzy is a great musician but he's not in my Top 50 guitarists

Just now, Bumble's Bridge Pickup said:

I agree. I think there's an ever prevalent circlejerk about him. It's true that his stuff on AFD is fantastic, but he was on that one album only and Slash contributed more. I can acknowledge that Izzy is a great musician but he's not in my Top 50 guitarists

Ehh?

Lol at "that one album". I guess you never heard of Patience, 14 Years, DTJ, Don't Cry, Dust N Bones, Bad Obsession, Pretty Tied Up, You Could Be Mine, etc. And those are just off the top of my head.

Seriously, enough with the nuFans that don't know a thing about the REAL GnR! I mean, my god! Who in the hell is on a GnR board, and has no idea the vast influence Izzy had on the GnR sound?!?!

• Like 2

If you count Lies as a whole album, sure. Izzy might be on UYI too but I was under the impression that Slash did the vast majority of guitars there

9 minutes ago, DTV88 said:

Lol at "that one album". I guess you never heard of Patience, 14 Years, DTJ, Don't Cry, Dust N Bones, Bad Obsession, Pretty Tied Up, You Could Be Mine, etc. And those are just off the top of my head.

Seriously, enough with the nuFans that don't know a thing about the REAL GnR! I mean, my god! Who in the hell is on a GnR board, and has no idea the vast influence Izzy had on the GnR sound?!?!

Don't just throw me in some "nuFan" box.

4 hours ago, Bumble's Bridge Pickup said:

If you count Lies as a whole album, sure. Izzy might be on UYI too but I was under the impression that Slash did the vast majority of guitars there

Don't just throw me in some "nuFan" box.

You need to do some homework ;)

Izzy is only underrated to maybe causal fans who know 4 or 5 songs and thats due to them not really knowing any better

but hes certainly not among true fans. if their was a underrated member of "Guns N' Roses" its probably Matt Sorum.

• Like 1

On 07/08/2016 at 6:42 AM, steveysham said:

Think Izzy gets his dues. No one is denying his value as a song writer to the group. As for why he's not touring? Probably because he doesn't want to. Simple as. it's not a sleight against him by Axl, Slash & Duff.

I think so, he doesn't even tour his own stuff. Pretty much every reason he left the band does not exist at this point in time..the addictions, Axl's tardiness and megalomania so in that regard things are cool but GNR is a massive business now and i think that could possibly be a little overwhelming. I think the offers there for him to jump on stage for a few songs if he wants.

Edited by Silverburst80

im not even sure Izzy himself would perfer his solo work to UYI's. Izzy's solo stuff, from the stuff ive heard, is sorta half-hearted. thats not to say theres nothing good (i actually enjoy the 117 album) but it sounds like a good musician that was just keeping himself busy. nothing special or standout-ish.

Edited by -W.A.R-

8 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

im not even sure Izzy himself would perfer his solo work to UYI's. Izzy solo stuff, from the stuff ive heard, is sorta half-hearted. thats not to say theres nothing good (i actually enjoy the 117 album) but it sounds like a good musician that was just keeping himself busy.

Stradlin didn't like many aspects of the Illusion album, e.g. the length of the material, 'My World' and the omission of Adler, so I doubt this is true.

Edited by DieselDaisy

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Stradlin didn't like many aspects of the Illusion album, so I doubt this is true.

yeah he was put off by the grandiose-ness of the album due to Axl having Freddie Mercury visions, but theres still some real quality there. theres noway in my mind you can compare them and objectivity say Izzy stuff is better, even if you ARE Izzy. the ppl saying Izzy was "insignificant" to Guns are flat out wrong but its not inconceivable to me that ppl aren't high on his solo stuff.