Unofficial GNR Social Media Update / Discussion

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said prior, Stradlin refused to travel on the Illusion plane, however, if Izzy performed a volte-face, my opinion would include him: private planes are collosal ego driven 'look at me, I'm better than ordinary people' rock star rubbish which was the height of ridiculousness in 1975, and is certainly still the height of ridiculousness in 2016.

I see a lot of  sense in band planes - it makes them independent on the commercial plane schedule, gives the band members a place to actually take some sleep if the schedule is really tight, also since they have to carry so much stuff and equipment, I'm not sure if it is that much more expensive. Also much comfort - no fans, no journalists, no photos and shit during every flight.

However the need to use your private jet when you have a band plane - well, here I agree with you 100%.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I wonder why Axl doesn't have a bodyguard now? Not seen him with one for a while. He just walks around with fernando lol, he'd be brown bread in no time if that happened again. 

He does have one. Big, bald and mean looking guy. Always was around during the ACDC tour and I thought he was kind of rude.

He's also in some pictures from the NITL tour, so I figure he usually is around Axl.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigpoop said:

This guy.

3388E9A900000578-0-image-m-7_14616336580

Yeah saw him heading to backstage at the end of AC/DC gig in Lisbon with Fernando, the personal trainer and a bunch of ladies. He was with the exact same sweater and, I swear, the exact same face.

6 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

It sort of shows you cannot handle yourself and are a coward. Also a bit poncy - that you believe you're Elvis or somebody.

You're clueless about the status of this band. They're one of the very few bands left that can fill stadium - world wide that is. They cause commotion. Just because you're not interested in them anymore, doesnt mean other people aren't. I do get your skepticism towards them, but saying they wouldnt need personal security, specially in SA, makes zero sense.

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

At the end of the day, Chuck Berry does not have a bodyguard. The rest of the conversation is hot air.

He doesn't need to. His audience is very different from GnR's. He doesn't have the popularity Guns does (I think he should but that's another story, I'm not talking about merit, it's just how it is).

Edited by emybdc

3 hours ago, emybdc said:

You're clueless about the status of this band. They're one of the very few bands left that can fill stadium - world wide that is. They cause commotion. Just because you're not interested in them anymore, doesnt mean other people aren't. I do get your skepticism towards them, but saying they wouldnt need personal security, specially in SA, makes zero sense.

He doesn't need to. His audience is very different from GnR's. He doesn't have the popularity Guns does (I think he should but that's another story, I'm not talking about merit, it's just how it is).

Absolute rubbish. Chuck Berry is the very pinnacle in terms of popularity - up there with Elvis.

3 minutes ago, CheapJon said:

I guess John Lennon made the right choice not having a body guard. And Dimebag for that matter. Served them pussies right!

John wouldn't have even had a bodyguard had he known what would've happened. He was too self-deprecating to possess a bodyguard, who wouldn't have been able to do anything anyway. The only person in Guns who possessed a sense of the ridiculousness of the whole thing is Izzy. Dimebag? Last I knew he died on stage at a show which presumably had an entire line of security!

I guess I'm in the minority here in finding private planes and bodyguards absurd and I'm certainly fine with that.

• Like 1

Well, Chuck Berry came to Argentina in 2013 and he gave a show which was considered sad and bizarre by pretty much all the concert goers. To me, that's way worse than having fn' bodyguards or your own play.

Chuck Berry is a legend and I'm not trying to criticize him or anything. Apparently his family is using him to make money when he's not really able anymore but my point is it doesn't make sense to put the focus so much on irrelevant things.

At the end of the day, people who went to that Chuck Berry show (and probably all the others on that tour) left the place pretty upset. On the other hand, people who attended the GNR shows on the US tour were apparently blown away by the band. The rest of the conversation is hot air :D

4 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Well, Chuck Berry came to Argentina in 2013 and he gave a show which was considered sad and bizarre by pretty much all the concert goers. To me, that's way worse than having fn' bodyguards or your own play.

Chuck Berry is a legend and I'm not trying to criticize him or anything. Apparently his family is using him to make money when he's not really able anymore but my point is it doesn't make sense to put the focus so much on irrelevant things.

At the end of the day, people who went to that Chuck Berry show (and probably all the others on that tour) left the place pretty upset. On the other hand, people who attended the GNR shows on the US tour were apparently blown away by the band. The rest of the conversation is hot air :D

Probably because South Americans are still into mullet rock.

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

John wouldn't have even had a bodyguard had he known what would've happened. He was too self-deprecating to possess a bodyguard, who wouldn't have been able to do anything anyway. The only person in Guns who possessed a sense of the ridiculousness of the whole thing is Izzy. Dimebag? Last I knew he died on stage at a show which presumably had an entire line of security!

I guess I'm in the minority here in finding private planes and bodyguards absurd and I'm certainly fine with that.

The thing is, there are maniacs in the world. Some of those maniacs are drawn to celebrities for different reasons. 

I  guess I'm in the minority who don't give a shit about having private planes or not. However, I do want the musicians I admire to be as safe as possible from said maniacs. 

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well, I can't speak for everybody but I talked to people who was really excited because they were getting to see a living legend like Chuck Berry and then had to leave midway through the show 'cause it was sad to see Chuck that way.

2 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Well, I can't speak for everybody but I talked to people who was really excited because they were getting to see a living legend like Chuck Berry and then had to leave midway through the show 'cause it was sad to see Chuck that way.

Well he is ninety years old!

44 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

32 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

He is releasing an album soon - something GN'R don't do.

I get such a kick out of you. I just wish someday I'll share 1/10 of your wisdom and knowlegde of what's good and right in this world.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

As I said prior, Stradlin refused to travel on the Illusion plane, however, if Izzy performed a volte-face, my opinion would include him: private planes are collosal ego driven 'look at me, I'm better than ordinary people' rock star rubbish which was the height of ridiculousness in 1975, and is certainly still the height of ridiculousness in 2016.

All awful but I freely confess to being in the minority when it pertains to the subject of Led Zeppelin. 

I tend to agree that band planes are excessive. If your read Duff's book he explains that those luxuries they had on UYI tour do not happen any longer - everybody is more tight with money and the attituted towards "rock'n'roll decadence" has changed in general. Well, it seems he changed his mind, lol. Anyway, gnr has made us used to such "ego driven rubbish" so I would be pretty neutral to it... !!!!BUT!!!!

There's this one, small "but": This plane costed millions probably. They will probably sell it for a bit less once the tour ends (provided it has been actually bought not rented - which might make sense because renting it for a year or so could be more expensive). Still, they have earned a fortune playing US and decided to buy a plane. Whichever way they split the cost, they were not so willing to spend a fraction of that sum to pay Izzy a more reasonable amount that could convince him to play. They chose to offer him a ridiculous fraction of what they earn each show and instead spent their money on a f..ing plane:shrugs:

Think about it next time you accuse Izzy of being all about money and greedy... It only proves that this tour is a huge cash grab meant to boost their egos an fool them for one more year that they are true "rockstars". The quality of the music, the performance - it's not really that important. Pathetic, really. :facepalm:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well nobody would give a shit if Axl walked down a British high street. Oasis however - a Gallagher - would probably raise a few heads.

I've just had the worst day, but I spat out my tea laughing when I read this. thank you .

From one Brit to another, I would give a shit if Axl came strolling down my local high street, either Gallagher brother :shrugs:not so much.

• Like 2