Myles Kennedy talks GNR, SMKC, and his solo album

Very telling. Axl's recent tweet about being sad to see this run ending, Slash looking so happy on stage, and Myles basically saying GNR is Slash's first priority tells me that Axl, Slash and Duff are excited to be back together and are going to push the GNR train as far as they can. 

It's realky great to get all these signs bc you just never know. They could be miserable but after hearing Myles say this it's obvious what is happening. 

And all this coupled with the fact that they have been selling out stadiums and playing in front of huge audiences this summer with great reviews is just making this thing grow. Excited to see the vision realized 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Yes, to be to fair, it's not the same as GNR. What do SMKC have to live up to really? People don't expect AFD2 from them the way they do with GNR. People expect bland, run-of-the-mill cock-rock, which they deliver on every album. People expect better from GNR and when you have a catalogue as legendary as theirs, its understandably daunting to release new music. Lame excuse I know, but it's kinda true.

I can neither agree with your rational (for no GN'R music) nor your assessment of the Conspirators.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I can neither agree with your rational (for no GN'R music) nor your assessment of the Conspirators.

You don't think the expectations are different for a band like GNR compared to a band like SMKC? Don't be daft Diesel.

Now I'm not making excuses, GNR's (or rather Axl's) lack of creative output over the last 20 years has been pathetic, and plenty of legendary bands regularly release new albums (RHCP, U2 etc). But there's no denying that the pressure is greater for these legendary bands. Look at RHCP, a band I love, who've had their own fair share of classic tracks, perhaps not quite as legendary as GNR, but still, a major band in their own right. Every new album they put out is "a return to form" with everyone shitting on the previous one. It happens everytime they drop a new record, some initial buzz and excitement and then it's the typical "not as good as they used to be", "they've lost the funk", "they should retire", "dad rock" comments. Now lesser successful bands don't have this pressure to live up to, because the only people who know or care about their music are their hardcore fans. But when you've written a Sweet Child O Mine or a Under The Bridge, suddenly nothing you do after that can live up and the expectations become ridiculous.

Edited by Towelie

Just now, Towelie said:

You don't think the expectations are different for a band like GNR compared to a band like SMKC? Don't be daft Diesel.

Now I'm not making excuses, GNR's (or rather Axl's) lack of creative output over the last 20 years has been pathetic, and plenty of legendary bands regularly release new albums (RHCP, U2 etc). But there's no denying that the pressure is greater for these legendary bands. Look at RHCP, a band I love, who've had their own fair share of classic tracks, perhaps not quite as legendary as GNR, but still, a major band in their own right. Every new album they put is "a return to form" with everyone shitting on the previous one. It happens everytime they drop a new record, some initial buzz and excitement and then it's the typical "not as good as they used to be", "they've lost the funk", "they should retire", "dad rock" comments. Now lesser successful bands don't have this pressure to live up to, because the only people who know or care about their music are their hardcore fans. But when you've written a Sweet Child O Mine or a Under The Bridge, suddenly nothing you do after that can live up and the expectations become ridiculous.

Bollocks. The Beatles, Dylan and Stones (during their heyday) put out one-two albums per year and nearly everyone was a masterpiece. Neil Young still puts out one album per year. I would have thought a fan of Prince would not be seen defending this laziness and lack of creativity.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Bollocks. The Beatles, Dylan and Stones (during their heyday) put out one-two albums per year and nearly everyone was a masterpiece. Neil Young still puts out one album per year. I would have thought a fan of Prince would not be seen defending this laziness and lack of creativity.

I'm not defending Axl's laziness. I'm merely pointing out that GNR have a hell of a lot more to live up to musically than a band like SMKC. Not much of a defense I know, as you pointed out, plenty of other big-name bands regularly release new music which gets shit on and compared to their glory days, but compare GNR to those bands, not to SMKC, because it's just completely different leagues. What do SMKC have to live up to, really? World On Fire? Oh, the pressure to deliver must be out of this world. :lol: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Towelie said:

All 12 of them are going to be gutted.

Yeah, sure.  12 of them are the same exact people that have managed to fill near-to or sold out arenas in Europe and some pretty sizable 2,000+ people theaters in North America and other places.

53 minutes ago, nonok said:

Sucks to be a SMKC fan, I'd imagine.

To be fair, it's even worst to be an Alter Bridge fan during that time since it always felt like SMKC was always Myles' first priority and it always felt like the moment Alter Bridge has that momentum I always want them to see, Slash has that sudden kick to get that band going, and then Myles goes with it, and then Alter Bridge goes on a hiatus therefore not doing stuff and not getting momentum and credibility that they should be getting at this point.

So as much as I don't "care" about this GNR reunion, at least, I'm glad this reunion is actually happening.  I'm sure it sucks for Fitz, Kerns, and Sidoris as SMKC brought them good money and visibility and they are good players, but I'm sure they will find good ways to keep themselves occupied.  However, this GNR reunion is pretty much win-win all around.   GNR fans are happy or have a chance to be happy that Slash and Duff are back in the band.  I and other Alter Bridge fans are happy since we can see our favorite band be productive again, as opposed to the stop-and-go mentality that they were having ever since Myles joined Slash's solo band.

It's win-win.

Bittersweet news. I love SMKC but I can't feel a loss for the mileage I got out of them as a fan. Tons of awesome live shows and 2 really good rock albums. Obviously, GNR should take president and I am thrilled everything is going well.

I wonder if Slash is scrapping SMKC 3 or using any of that material for GNR

2 hours ago, Towelie said:

I'm not defending Axl's laziness. I'm merely pointing out that GNR have a hell of a lot more to live up to musically than a band like SMKC. Not much of a defense I know, as you pointed out, plenty of other big-name bands regularly release new music which gets shit on and compared to their glory days, but compare GNR to those bands, not to SMKC, because it's just completely different leagues. What do SMKC have to live up to, really? World On Fire? Oh, the pressure to deliver must be out of this world. :lol: 

I still disagree. The problem with the Conspirators is not, that they are a band in which you do not feel the need to live up to 'a legacy', but that they lack a great songwriter like an Izzy Stradlin. I'm sure Slash puts as much effort into those albums as he did for Guns - and indeed, Anastasia is as good guitar wise as anything he has recorded for Guns.

You have to remember, Appetite was written in just over a year and recorded in thirty years. Sitting around thinking about your legacy is creative suicide.

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Has rock really stooped that low that an old fart 'hits' tour would be the only method to revive it?

Rock has not STOOPED that low man.  Music is like many other industries, everything goes in cycles and rtock n roll is in that stage where it is starting to come back. An old fart hits tour that plays CHIDEm songs that everyone bitches about says this isn't a hits tour

12 minutes ago, PsychoKiss344 said:

I've only heard people over 30 say rock is dead because they think all new bands are shit.

There are good bands, but rock hasn't evolved as a genre and hasn't had a significant cultural impact since the grunge movement in the early 90s. Moreover, the majority of people under 20-25, at least where I live (but I think it's not much different elsewhere), listens to other stuff (hip hop, dance music, pop) and doesn't relate to rock except maybe for older bands they know from there parents. Rock used to be music mainly for the young and it doesn't seem to be anymore. In this sense, it's dead, unless...

• Like 2

I'm in the 20-25 range and I've listened to 23 albums that was released this year so far (a good amount of them is from modern bands like Volbeat, Gojira, Black Stone Cherry, Tremonti, etc.) and most of them were enjoyable albums to hear.  If people keep saying rock is dead, maybe their idea of classic rock sounding albums from bands like GNR, Van Halen, AC/DC may be dead and maybe they are the delusional ones that may not let go of their nostalgia lenses.  I always keep saying it, I always love hearing new albums from any band, act, or any genre, because that album could be the one that may convince me to think certain bands differently in a positive light.

Edited by Anguyen92
  • Like 2