One thing I don't get about Axl/Guns and the lack of new material.

10 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i see this Axl as a new Axl, wanting to do more, produce more. hell i never thought he'd pull off doing those first GN'R reunion gigs then do Axl/DC then back to GN'R and now set to finish the rest of the Axl/DC tour. then South America? he seems to be as energetic if not more than he was  even back in the beginning. i don't know what changed but i'm loving it :) 

Yes, he seems inspired again. That's what I think a lot of his problem has been regarding new music. He's a great rock singer and a good lyricist imo, but when it comes to the music, apart from piano balladry he lacks the skills needed to create a song. Not knocking him. But I think that's where he needs the Izzy and Slash type musician, the one who can put the base of a song there for him to add to. I don't know if the musicians he's had around him for the last 20 yrs have been able to inspire him, or help him create what he was trying to. That's what CD sounds like to me, he's got the ideas, but not the musicianship to fulfil the potential. Hopefully things are different now. This is all just my opinion of course, could be well off the mark :lol:

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

give it time, let's see how it all plays out. Maybe new music will happen, maybe it won't? It's like dating an old girlfriend again, just because the sex is good and your having fun doesn't mean you are ready to get married. But if you just ride the ride, before you know it you are saying "I Do".

Ha ha.... that's a good way of putting it!

4 hours ago, starlight said:

The question is how long will the reunion last without even a new song to be played? They can't play forever the same old songs it will be boring.

Yes they can and they know the fans are ok with it which is why they won't work on new music. Ever.

34 minutes ago, Jane M. said:

Yes they can and they know the fans are ok with it which is why they won't work on new music. Ever.

wow that's cruel :lol:

But I believe they will release something let's see what happens

Uncle Axl may be difficult to convince about a new album but it seemed impossible Axl and Slash would have shared the same stage one day too.

Plus Slash will not stay around forever if he can't play new material and Axl needs him in GNR, so....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, action said:

This is why I love Axl so much. the world is spinning around him, everyone is asking him for new music, musicians come and go. But the man couldn't give a flying fuck. He's just chilling, having a good time, enjoying taco bell and booze. Can you blame him? That guy IS rock n roll. It means: not giving a fuck.

In many ways I am like him. Or better: I "want" to be like him. Not listening to no one. But god knows not everyone of us has that luxury, me included. At work I have my boss, and at home my (lovely) wife.

I'm too old to care about new music. So much great music that's already there, so many bands to discover / enjoy. What difference could one new album possibly make? I just hope he enjoys his life. I know I am.

So you would rather discover a new band and their music....than hearing "new" music from our favorite band?

I love finding new bands, I understand your point with that. A few years ago I discovered a band called Hardcore Superstar who are the only real old fashion Hard Rock band out there right now. And as a huge bonus, they had a back catalog of like 8 albums when I "discovered" them - so I had about 100 songs to enjoy.

But I'd much rather hear a new GnR album than a new album from any other band. I'd sacrifice my cat to the rock music Gods for a new GnR double-album!!!

Edited by Apollo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

Maybe Axl did use most of 2015 to write more music? Maybe he didn't? It doesn't really matter. There's shit loads of new music just waiting to be released anyway. Writing new music is not the problem. Releasing music is the problem. Why don't they release all the music they've written? That's the question.

And Lies They Tell hits a Home Run to win the game.

From all reports, there is anywhere from 12 to 75 songs just sitting in the vault. From brand new songs like The General, Atlas, Soulmonster, Checkmate (or whatever it is called) to remixes of CD songs to updated versions of songs like Oh My God and Silkworms.

People have speculated that Axl couldn't release CD2 because the label would reject is as they only want a classic lineup album. Now that is a possibility with Slash/Duff back in the fold.

Why not release those 12-75 songs on Itunes or at the band's official forum. And schedule a summer 2017 release for a new album written by Axl/Slash/Duff.

Everybody wins.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I don't agree. For a start, rock n' roll is associated with creativity, bags and bags of creativity. Analyse all the greats, Chuck, Beatles, Stones, Dylan - Beach Boys if you will - and they all possess this creative spirit. There has to be an expression of your rock n' roll to begin with. Heck, even somebody as hedonistic as GG Allin released music (besides bodily fluids!). To simply shut up shop is about as un-rock n' roll as one can fathom.

Good points. They are in Jimi Hendrix territory - 3 full studio albums of original material. Jimi Hendrix died though. 

Hearing Axl sing AC/DC might be the only time we hear him on something other than old GnR material. I don't see new material coming out anytime soon. If he hasn't put out anything in almost a decade, and then 14 years before that why start now? I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

Edited by passenger57

The reality is the band are on a huge tour (and they are enjoying the hell out of it obviously) and the tour goes well into next year. We won't be getting anything before then. 2018 new record... and that's a maybe!

Would love to be wrong and for a new record to drop in 2016... but no word about it, in any way shape or form leads me to believe it's not a priority. $$$ is the priority, and they don't need new music to sell their regrouping.

Edited by Tom2112

2 hours ago, Apollo said:

So you would rather discover a new band and their music....than hearing "new" music from our favorite band?

I love finding new bands, I understand your point with that. A few years ago I discovered a band called Hardcore Superstar who are the only real old fashion Hard Rock band out there right now. And as a huge bonus, they had a back catalog of like 8 albums when I "discovered" them - so I had about 100 songs to enjoy.

But I'd much rather hear a new GnR album than a new album from any other band. I'd sacrifice my cat to the rock music Gods for a new GnR double-album!!!

first of all, i will be the first in line when GNR releases a new album and i will devour it. 

a week later, and it will have become another album in the catalogue.

just like what happened with chinese democracy. or death magnetic. music from another dimension. a bigger bang.

none of the albums i just mentioned, measure up against the best work of these bands. just an observation. it's a wake up call. a new GNR album wont make you live longer nor will it better your sex life. high expectations lead to high dissapointment. low expectations lead to pleasant surprises.

secondly, i think i own some 200 - ish albums in my library, and i dont plan on buying truckloads more. new bands dont interest me very much. "they dont play the blues anymore like they used to". i rather delve in the back catalogue of the classic rock bands that i know and love. just last week i discovered "some girls" and it blew me away.

i own every burp and fart Queen, hendrix, nirvana or guns n roses have ever put on record, 12 rolling stones studio albums, 8 aerosmith albums, the complete led zeppelin catalogue, key albums by the doors / ACDC / beatles / elvis / motorhead / beach boys among other stuff.

now you should know, that i can still enjoy an album after countless of listenings. i can still hear new things. or be moved by a particular guitar lick. 

one has to wonder though: when is enough, enough?

it's almost become too much.

personally, i feel i've reached the end of the road with my musical interests. the added value of yet another album, is marginal. there are exceptions but they are few and far between. "some girls" blew me away, while "only rock n roll" felt like just another stones album.

having said that, the only thing that could possibly excite me, at this point in time, is a new GNR record.

1 hour ago, Wagszilla said:

I disagree with this.

The art of not giving a fuck extends to morality, social conventions, trends, market forces, money, and so forth. These are principled stances, all tied to a certain philosophies.

There is absolutely nothing laudable about not giving a fuck otherwise. It is pure artifice, laziness diguised as a personality. 

If Axl wants to live his life a certain way, he can. He's entitled to that. But he shouldn't be surprised when the chickens come home to roost. So either own up to the consequences or realities of the situation or make different decisions. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Ozzy released 2 great albums in a year. Bowie released 3 masterpieces within a year of each other. Neil Young released a couple good ones within a short span when he was later on in years in the 90s.

I'm old enough to know the time and the merits of good business and I'm unsurprised this current lineup is taking it slow but the inability to communicate with the general public, let alone release music, is merely one of the symptoms of the deeper dysfunction that has plagued the band for 30 years. This tour will likely continue to enable that dysfunction.

He still does.

4 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Yes, he seems inspired again. That's what I think a lot of his problem has been regarding new music. He's a great rock singer and a good lyricist imo, but when it comes to the music, apart from piano balladry he lacks the skills needed to create a song. Not knocking him. But I think that's where he needs the Izzy and Slash type musician, the one who can put the base of a song there for him to add to. I don't know if the musicians he's had around him for the last 20 yrs have been able to inspire him, or help him create what he was trying to. That's what CD sounds like to me, he's got the ideas, but not the musicianship to fulfil the potential. Hopefully things are different now. This is all just my opinion of course, could be well off the mark :lol:

I disagree with you. He doesn´t need Slah or Izzy to create songs. I think many of you here underestimate Axl.

Even Slash said several times that Axl is a brillant lyricist. and that wrote the mayority of the gnr songs.

Chinese Democracy has a lot of great songs like "This I Love". In my opinion this song is one of the best of all the band´s history.

Oh God who cares right now? There is a reunion tour going on and after seeing GNR 3 times with the other musicians, and then seeing GNR last week with Slash and Duff it was like hearing all the GNR songs new again!

Axl had renewed energy and his voice was awesome.

If this band wants to stay together and make new music, I'm sure they will. We all hope they do, but for now let's enjoy this tour.

3 minutes ago, action said:

first of all, i will be the first in line when GNR releases a new album and i will devour it. 

a week later, and it will have become another album in the catalogue.

just like what happened with chinese democracy. or death magnetic. music from another dimension. a bigger bang.

none of the albums i just mentioned, measure up against the best work of these bands. just an observation. it's a wake up call. a new GNR album wont make you live longer nor will it better your sex life. high expectations lead to high dissapointment. low expectations lead to pleasant surprises.

secondly, i think i own some 200 - ish albums in my library, and i dont plan on buying truckloads more. new bands dont interest me very much. "they dont play the blues anymore like they used to". i rather delve in the back catalogue of the classic rock bands that i know and love. just last week i discovered "some girls" and it blew me away.

i own every burp and fart Queen, hendrix, nirvana or guns n roses have ever put on record, 12 rolling stones studio albums, 8 aerosmith albums, the complete led zeppelin catalogue, key albums by the doors / ACDC / beatles / elvis / motorhead / beach boys among other stuff.

now you should know, that i can still enjoy an album after countless of listenings. i can still hear new things. or be moved by a particular guitar lick. 

one has to wonder though: when is enough, enough?

it's almost become too much.

personally, i feel i've reached the end of the road with my musical interests. the added value of yet another album, is marginal. there are exceptions but they are few and far between. "some girls" blew me away, while "only rock n roll" felt like just another stones album.

having said that, the only thing that could possibly excite me, at this point in time, is a new GNR record.

You've just heard Some Girls?

The thing is with, those albums you cited, they are selective. You could have mentioned American Recordings, Ragged Glory, Time Out of Mind, The Rising, Le Noise, et al. These are albums which are considered some of the finest in their artist's discography, and they were all written/recorded during a middle-old age 'Indian Summer'. To a lesser degree you may also mention Flaming Pie, Voodoo Lounge (a better album than A Bigger Bang) and many more. Heck, you yourself mentioned Queen; Queen were in their mid-forties when they recorded Innuendo, widely considered to be a 'comeback' for them.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Juliette said:

I disagree with you. He doesn´t need Slah or Izzy to create songs. I think many of you here underestimate Axl.

Even Slash said several times that Axl is a brillant lyricist. and that wrote the mayority of the gnr songs.

Chinese Democracy has a lot of great songs like "This I Love". In my opinion this song is one of the best of all the band´s history.

Well I respectfully disagree with you. I feel This I Love is one of the worst songs in GNR history, the lyrics are truly awful. Cringey bad. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You've just heard Some Girls?

The thing is with, those albums you cited, they are selective. You could have mentioned American Recordings, Ragged Glory, Time Out of Mind, The Rising, Le Noise, et al. These are albums which are considered some of the finest in their artist's discography, and they were all written/recorded during a middle-old age 'Indian Summer'. To a lesser degree you may also mention Flaming Pie, Voodoo Lounge (a better album than A Bigger Bang) and many more. Heck, you yourself mentioned Queen; Queen were in their mid-forties when they recorded Innuendo, widely considered to be a 'comeback' for them.

My old lady worships the ground the Boss walks on. He releases every show ever, plays the deepest of cuts live, put out The Rising, Wrecking Ball, etc. She has about 50 versions of every song to listen to. 

She truly feels sorry for me that I love GnR as much as she loves the Boss, and she has what she has, and I have what I've got... But she sure as hell cant question my stupid loyalty...

10 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

My old lady worships the ground the Boss walks on. He releases every show ever, plays the deepest of cuts live, put out The Rising, Wrecking Ball, etc. She has about 50 versions of every song to listen to. 

She truly feels sorry for me that I love GnR as much as she loves the Boss, and she has what she has, and I have what I've got... But she sure as hell cant question my stupid loyalty...

I'm similarly blessed with Neil. New album (occasionally two) every year. Always touring those said albums. Deep cuts and - better still - 'unreleased' songs played live and to enjoy live and on the boots (which are avidly collected).

2 hours ago, Juliette said:

Ah yes, because the success of the CD era proves Axl doesn't need Slash or Izzy or any of the original members to create good songs. Lol. 

Axl is a good lyricist and wrote the majority of the lyrics to GNR songs. He was a co-writer in the majority of GNR songs, just like Slash, just like Izzy. You cannot say he wrote the majority of GNR songs like he wrote them all by himself. He was a co-writer on the majority.

This I love is shit.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jane M. said:

No, sorry that won't work.....the majority of the fans attending these shows now are casual fans.  Once casual fans hear the hits that they haven't heard played by the Big 3, then this no longer works.  It would be basic downward progression like you see with every other band gradually downgrading to arenas, then smaller sheds and the annual summer tour to theaters or triple headlining type nostalgia shows.  GnR would not be immune to it.  To stay at this level long term, GnR will probably need new music and will definitely need to start switching up their setlists and not play the same songs every single night.  That works now, but it won't for any future tours in stadiums and/or arenas.