One thing I don't get about Axl/Guns and the lack of new material.

11 minutes ago, PappyTron said:

Is that Axl's creative inspiration, locked up somewhere like a reverse and twisted Picture of Dorian Gray where the muse stays pure but Axl gets fatter, balder and more Botoxed as time goes by?

:lol:

1 hour ago, tsinindy said:

No, sorry that won't work.....the majority of the fans attending these shows now are casual fans.  Once casual fans hear the hits that they haven't heard played by the Big 3, then this no longer works.  It would be basic downward progression like you see with every other band gradually downgrading to arenas, then smaller sheds and the annual summer tour to theaters or triple headlining type nostalgia shows.  GnR would not be immune to it.  To stay at this level long term, GnR will probably need new music and will definitely need to start switching up their setlists and not play the same songs every single night.  That works now, but it won't for any future tours in stadiums and/or arenas.  

Agreed. They dont have the back catalog to continue simply touring without a new record. eventually its gonna get old.

If this is to continue for 5 more years, they definitely need to release something new.

2 hours ago, Philipm787 said:

Ah yes, because the success of the CD era proves Axl doesn't need Slash or Izzy or any of the original members to create good songs. Lol. 

Axl is a good lyricist and wrote the majority of the lyrics to GNR songs. He was a co-writer in the majority of GNR songs, just like Slash, just like Izzy. You cannot say he wrote the majority of GNR songs like he wrote them all by himself. He was a co-writer on the majority.

This I love is shit.

6.5 million of copies for Chinese Democracy CD is a good number if you consider the terrible crisis in the music industry. Not to mention all the sold out concerts in Latin America and other places.

(Much better than the 300 k copies sold by Slash in all this years).

Slash said that (Axl wrote all the songs, is not my statement) and he is an authorized opinion, or not?

Of course many of the songs were co-written but the most successful and great songs were written by Axl (completely): November rain, estranged, my michelle, welcome to the jungle, sweet child of mine, this i love ,etc..

Slash is not a songwriter at all, only create music (not lyrics, exept some like rocket queen).

I respect your opinion too, but I think you are in the minority in thinking "this I love" is shit. See several vids on youtube of the song : people absolutely love the song and a lot of users thought TIL a part of a trilogy. (NR-E-TIL).

---------------------------------------------

https://spinditty.com/genres/GNR-Chinese-Democracy

-------------------------------------------

Listen as Slash Says Nice Things About Axl Rose
By Nick DeRiso October 6, 2014 6:36 PM
TWEET
EMAIL
Subscribe to Ultimate Classic Rock on 
After nearly two decades of backbiting and recriminations, it’s easy to forget that Slash and Axl Rose shared a bond that went beyond sparking Guns N’ Roses to greatness.
It was a relationship built on mutual admiration, as Slash makes clear in an exclusive video from Loudwire. “Aside from the fact that he’s obviously one of the greatest singer/frontman guys to come along ever and a brilliant lyricist,” Slash says, “he’s also a super, super intelligent — a very astute individual.”
Find out what else Slash has to say about Rose in the clip, attached above.
This new talk follows a hilarious run through his official Wikipedia page, which ultimately led Slash to a series of fond recollections about his time with both Guns N’ Roses and Velvet Revolver. Check it out at Loudwire, and then listen to the five songs you must hear from Slash’s new album, ‘World on Fire.’

Read More: Listen as Slash Says Nice Things About Axl Rose | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/slash-axl-rose/?trackback=tsmclip

-------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

other:

MusicRadar users voted Axl Rose as the best vocalist to join Velvet Revolver. And perhaps Slash is in agreement - the guitarist has surprisingly kind words for Chinese Democracy, the Guns N' Roses album Axl has labored over for well over a decade. Maybe he wouldn't mind playing the songs live.

"I already listened to it," Slash revealed during a recent interview. "At first I thought that I would never listen to it until it's released, but someone handed it to me and I was in my car and I was like 'Okay, let's give it a try.'

"So I listened to it: It's a really good record. It's very different from what the original Guns N' Roses sounded like, but it's a great statement by Axl. Now you understand where he was heading all this time. It's a record that the original Guns N' Roses could never possibly make. And at the same time it just shows you how brilliant Axl is. So it was a relief for me to actually hear it."

Nine tracks off the album have already been leaked onto the Internet, and Slash had harsh words for the perpetrator. "When somebody takes somebody's work and releases it prematurely just to become famous, it's an incredibly selfish and criminal thing to do. A record is a piece of art. And it shouldn't be released until the creator decides to release it - and I don't care how long it took to make it."

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/slash-calls-guns-n-roses-chinese-democracy-a-great-statement-172820

Edited by Juliette
--

45 minutes ago, Juliette said:

-------

Always funny when fans slap together cheesy footage from random movies, combine it with audience/video footage of GNR, slap the music on there and called it "Official" to get hits on their Youtube channel. Kinda like when they take old VHS footage and slap HD in the description. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Juliette said:

Of course many of the songs were co-written but the most successful and great songs were written by Axl (completely): November rain, estranged, my michelle, welcome to the jungle, sweet child of mine, this i love ,etc..

Axl didn't write Sweet Child and Jungle all by himself. He wrote the lyrics and the music was co-written. Here they talk about how they wrote each Appetite song:

http://www.w-axl-rose.com/Articles/Art_HitParader_Mar_1988.html

This I Love is weak lyrically.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Juliette said:

6.5 million of copies for Chinese Democracy CD is a good number if you consider the terrible crisis in the music industry. Not to mention all the sold out concerts in Latin America and other places.

Chinese Democracy did not sell 6.5 million copies.  Axl's cover band did not sell out all LATAM gigs in 2010.  ;)

• Like 1

On 8/12/2016 at 10:50 PM, Juliette said:

Slash said that (Axl wrote all the songs, is not my statement) and he is an authorized opinion, or not?

Slash is not a songwriter at all, only create music (not lyrics, exept some like rocket queen).

I respect your opinion too, but I think you are in the minority in thinking "this I love" is shit. See several vids on youtube of the song : people absolutely love the song and a lot of users thought TIL a part of a trilogy. (NR-E-TIL).

TWEET
EMAIL
After nearly two decades of backbiting and recriminations, it’s easy to forget that Slash and Axl Rose shared a bond that went beyond sparking Guns N’ Roses to greatness.
It was a relationship built on mutual admiration, as Slash makes clear in an exclusive video from Loudwire. “Aside from the fact that he’s obviously one of the greatest singer/frontman guys to come along ever and a brilliant lyricist,” Slash says, “he’s also a super, super intelligent — a very astute individual.”
This new talk follows a hilarious run through his official Wikipedia page, which ultimately led Slash to a series of fond recollections about his time with both Guns N’ Roses and Velvet Revolver. Check it out at Loudwire, and then listen to the five songs you must hear from Slash’s new album, ‘World on Fire.’

Read More: Listen as Slash Says Nice Things About Axl Rose | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/slash-axl-rose/?trackback=tsmclip

-------

other:

MusicRadar users voted Axl Rose as the best vocalist to join Velvet Revolver. And perhaps Slash is in agreement - the guitarist has surprisingly kind words for Chinese Democracy, the Guns N' Roses album Axl has labored over for well over a decade. Maybe he wouldn't mind playing the songs live.

"I already listened to it," Slash revealed during a recent interview. "At first I thought that I would never listen to it until it's released, but someone handed it to me and I was in my car and I was like 'Okay, let's give it a try.'

"So I listened to it: It's a really good record. It's very different from what the original Guns N' Roses sounded like, but it's a great statement by Axl. Now you understand where he was heading all this time. It's a record that the original Guns N' Roses could never possibly make. And at the same time it just shows you how brilliant Axl is. So it was a relief for me to actually hear it."

Nine tracks off the album have already been leaked onto the Internet, and Slash had harsh words for the perpetrator. "When somebody takes somebody's work and releases it prematurely just to become famous, it's an incredibly selfish and criminal thing to do. A record is a piece of art. And it shouldn't be released until the creator decides to release it - and I don't care how long it took to make it."

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/slash-calls-guns-n-roses-chinese-democracy-a-great-statement-172820

Shitpost of the day, get out of here (and I even like TiL a lot)

3 hours ago, Juliette said:

TWEET
EMAIL

-------

other:

Where did you get your 6.5 million figure from? That's a virtually impossible number for it to have sold. People on here have researched the sales totals pretty strenuously and the most reasonable number is 3.5 million worldwide (at the most). The album hasn't charted anywhere since the first couple of months. Using that knowledge it's pretty easy to put a cap on how many copies could have sold.

Axl did write a lot of the lyrics for some of the best songs. But without Slash/Duff writing kick ass music, then Axl wouldn't have had songs to write lyrics for. Izzy also had a huge hand in bringing lyrics or complete songs to the table.  To act like Axl was the main guy and the rest of the band's song writing credits were incidental is just ludicrous. This is a long-running GnR fan forum, not the place to come and try and revise GnR history. Most people here know the true facts.

Bottom line is that GnR's success wasn't due to just one guy. Every band member played a vital role in making GnR huge. The majority of music that GnR is playing currently on tour are songs written by the classic line-up some 25-to-30 years ago. If Axl was the real genius behind GnR and all the other guys were bit players, then why isn't the setlist full of songs written/recorded by Axl over the past 20 years????

Songs are all subjective and personal preference. I'm as big of a fan of CD as anybody on this forum. But it's silly to say that This I Love is universally loved and has great lyrics. It's probably the one song from CD that gets bashed the most from the die-hard GnR fanbase (along with Rhiad).

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Juliette said:

I respect your opinion too, but I think you are in the minority in thinking "this I love" is shit. 

Slash never said "Axl wrote all the songs".

And he also would never say that because it's complete bullshit.

And no, YOU are in the minority here for thinking TIL is some great masterpiece. TIL is one of the most bitched about songs on here and the casuals don't even know it.

TIL was the biggest disappointment since god knows what. The song was hyped to hell and back and then we got this cheesy ass whiny Axl drivel. The song is okay musically, but the lyrics are cringeworthy.

And I say that as someone who likes CD.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Juliette said:

TWEET
EMAIL

-------

other:

6.5 million copies of CD? HAHAHAHA what are you on. More than Slash? Think you're forgetting VR's number one album, Contraband, which has sold over 5 million copies I believe. Yes, more than CD.

Slash did not say Axl wrote all the songs, no way. And the majority of those songs you mentioned are all co-written anyway, apart from the ones Axl greedily kept for himself. So what is your point? Axl was just a piece of a 5 piece puzzle, something which you loonies cannot seem to accept. 

Saying Slash is not a songwriter is a crime. "He just creates music". Well how the fuck can you have a song without music? 

This I Love is universally bashed as pure bollocks. 

You're a joke.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Juventino said:

Easy to get full credits for something like Estranged when it goes to one person and another is 'thanked' "for the killer guitar melodies". Nice loophole.

Well, to be fair, I don't think someone deserves a songwriting credit for coming up with some lead guitar parts to a song that's already written, even if those guitar parts transform the song.

4 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Well, to be fair, I don't think someone deserves a songwriting credit for coming up with some lead guitar parts to a song that's already written, even if those guitar parts transform the song.

I don't agree. In my opinion those melodies warrant a songwriting credit. You said it: ''transform the song''.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I don't agree. In my opinion those melodies warrant a songwriting credit. You said it: ''transform the song''.

So where do you draw the line? Does Robin Finck get a songwriting credit for the solo on This I Love? Should Slash be credited on November Rain? Why stop at guitar parts? Should bassists get songwriting credits for laying down some awesome bass licks on a pre-existing track? Coming up with an awesome guitar part to a song that's already written is not songwriting, hence why you yourself have said that Slash's solo work lacks great songwriting. Axl wrote the melody line, the chord progression and the lyrics, thus he gets the credit.

Slash transforms the song Give Into Me on MJ's Dangerous album as well, but I don't think he should get a songwriting credit for that.

Edited by Towelie

6 minutes ago, Towelie said:

So where do you draw the line? Does Robin Finck get a songwriting credit for the solo on This I Love? Should Slash be credited on November Rain? Why stop at guitar parts? Should bassists get songwriting credits for laying down some awesome bass licks on a pre-existing track? Coming up with an awesome guitar part to a song that's already written is not songwriting, hence why you yourself have said that Slash's solo work lacks great songwriting. Axl wrote the melody line, the chord progression and the lyrics, thus he gets the credit.

Slash transforms the song Give Into Me on MJ's Dangerous album as well, but I don't think he should get a songwriting credit for that.

You are mistaking lead solos for guitar melodies. Lead solos: no. Melodies/riffs: yes, (for songwriting credits).

Edited by DieselDaisy

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You are mistaking lead solos for guitar melodies. Lead solos: no. Melodies/riffs: yes, (for songwriting credits).

So where does that leave a song like November Rain? A song with extremely melodic solos, where a lot of people would say the solos are the best part. Especially Slash's lead work at the end... I don't see that as any different to his work on Estranged, so presumably you reckon he deserves songwriting credit on NR too?

Just now, Towelie said:

So where does that leave a song like November Rain? A song with extremely melodic solos, where a lot of people would say the solos are the best part. Especially Slash's lead work at the end... I don't see that as any different to his work on Estranged, so presumably you reckon he deserves songwriting credit on NR too?

There is a debate about it, certainly, but common procedure sees riffs/melodies gain songwriting credits whereas solos do not. Solos tend to be compartmentalised, and even if they do significantly heighten the song, the song tends to remain intact without them. With something like Estranged you cannot remove the guitar lines. It would sound bare (to our ears) - like a piano demo. Slash significantly altered the songwriting of the song thus deserves the accreditation.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

There is a debate about it, certainly, but common procedure sees riffs/melodies gain songwriting credits whereas solos do not. Solos tend to be compartmentalised, and even if they do significantly heighten the song, the song tends to remain intact without them. With something like Estranged you cannot remove the guitar lines. It would sound bare (to our ears) - like a piano demo. Slash significantly altered the songwriting of the song thus deserves the accreditation.

Hmmm, it's an interesting one for sure. I mean, November Rain exists intact outside of the solo parts, but undoubtedly Slash's contributions elevate the song to a whole new level, especially at the end, much in the same way Estranged does. I think the best thing is when a band just splits songwriting credits four ways. Axl, Slash and Izzy getting a higher chunk and Duff and the drummer getting a bit less, and usually everyones happy in that scenario and it eliminates the need for these debates.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 1