One thing I don't get about Axl/Guns and the lack of new material.

2 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

Solos are sort of interchangeable periphery really, you can change a solo and still have the song, change the main riff and/or melody then it's sort of a different song.

No you cant change the best of.  of them imo like the one in little wing scom or this i love.

1 hour ago, Len B'stard said:

Why not?  Jimi played Little Wings one different a few times, Slash has played SCOM different.

But not really the key notes. A guitar solo a good one that is, is also a melody. Its more detailed usually and constructed from more notes but the guitar is still saying somthing that is a part of the song and overall musical direction. Part of the body so even solos that slash improvise in like nightrain, jungle,  and november rain outro will still always contain key phrases.

59 minutes ago, Rovim said:

But not really the key notes. A guitar solo a good one that is, is also a melody. Its more detailed usually and constructed from more notes but the guitar is still saying somthing that is a part of the song and overall musical direction. Part of the body so even solos that slash improvise in like nightrain, jungle,  and november rain outro will still always contain key phrases.

I get what you mean and i agree in terms of the principle, like The Stone Roses or The Smiths are also good examples where nothings wasted in terms of the solo work...my point really was that its not really the structural body of the song.

On 8/12/2016 at 10:50 PM, Juliette said:

6.5 million of copies for Chinese Democracy CD is a good number if you consider the terrible crisis in the music industry. Not to mention all the sold out concerts in Latin America and other places.

(Much better than the 300 k copies sold by Slash in all this years).

Slash said that (Axl wrote all the songs, is not my statement) and he is an authorized opinion, or not?

Of course many of the songs were co-written but the most successful and great songs were written by Axl (completely): November rain, estranged, my michelle, welcome to the jungle, sweet child of mine, this i love ,etc..

Slash is not a songwriter at all, only create music (not lyrics, exept some like rocket queen).

I respect your opinion too, but I think you are in the minority in thinking "this I love" is shit. See several vids on youtube of the song : people absolutely love the song and a lot of users thought TIL a part of a trilogy. (NR-E-TIL).

---------------------------------------------

https://spinditty.com/genres/GNR-Chinese-Democracy

-------------------------------------------

Listen as Slash Says Nice Things About Axl Rose
By Nick DeRiso October 6, 2014 6:36 PM
TWEET
EMAIL
Subscribe to Ultimate Classic Rock on 
After nearly two decades of backbiting and recriminations, it’s easy to forget that Slash and Axl Rose shared a bond that went beyond sparking Guns N’ Roses to greatness.
It was a relationship built on mutual admiration, as Slash makes clear in an exclusive video from Loudwire. “Aside from the fact that he’s obviously one of the greatest singer/frontman guys to come along ever and a brilliant lyricist,” Slash says, “he’s also a super, super intelligent — a very astute individual.”
Find out what else Slash has to say about Rose in the clip, attached above.
This new talk follows a hilarious run through his official Wikipedia page, which ultimately led Slash to a series of fond recollections about his time with both Guns N’ Roses and Velvet Revolver. Check it out at Loudwire, and then listen to the five songs you must hear from Slash’s new album, ‘World on Fire.’

Read More: Listen as Slash Says Nice Things About Axl Rose | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/slash-axl-rose/?trackback=tsmclip

-------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

other:

MusicRadar users voted Axl Rose as the best vocalist to join Velvet Revolver. And perhaps Slash is in agreement - the guitarist has surprisingly kind words for Chinese Democracy, the Guns N' Roses album Axl has labored over for well over a decade. Maybe he wouldn't mind playing the songs live.

"I already listened to it," Slash revealed during a recent interview. "At first I thought that I would never listen to it until it's released, but someone handed it to me and I was in my car and I was like 'Okay, let's give it a try.'

"So I listened to it: It's a really good record. It's very different from what the original Guns N' Roses sounded like, but it's a great statement by Axl. Now you understand where he was heading all this time. It's a record that the original Guns N' Roses could never possibly make. And at the same time it just shows you how brilliant Axl is. So it was a relief for me to actually hear it."

Nine tracks off the album have already been leaked onto the Internet, and Slash had harsh words for the perpetrator. "When somebody takes somebody's work and releases it prematurely just to become famous, it's an incredibly selfish and criminal thing to do. A record is a piece of art. And it shouldn't be released until the creator decides to release it - and I don't care how long it took to make it."

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/slash-calls-guns-n-roses-chinese-democracy-a-great-statement-172820

Dude, where did you get that Axl wrote "Michelle", "Sweet Child", and "Jungle"?  He wrote the melodies and lyrics to these songs, but had little to nothing to do with the writing of the music.  Hell, "Sweet Child" was something that came from a finger-exercise Slash had come up with, the famous opening riff, and Izzy started playing chords over for them to jam on, and unbeknownst to them Axl heard it and started writing a melody and lyrics to it. 

I will give you one thing:  I don't understand the bashing here of "This I Love".  Granted, I couldn't care less about it with the version I had heard on CD.... I never even gave it a second thought.  However, with the versions they've been doing on this tour the beauty of it has come through and has, in my opinion at least, elevated it to one of their greatest songs despite the fact there isn't a great studio version to be had.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2016 at 6:48 AM, Philipm787 said:

6.5 million copies of CD? HAHAHAHA what are you on. More than Slash? Think you're forgetting VR's number one album, Contraband, which has sold over 5 million copies I believe. Yes, more than CD.

Slash did not say Axl wrote all the songs, no way. And the majority of those songs you mentioned are all co-written anyway, apart from the ones Axl greedily kept for himself. So what is your point? Axl was just a piece of a 5 piece puzzle, something which you loonies cannot seem to accept. 

Saying Slash is not a songwriter is a crime. "He just creates music". Well how the fuck can you have a song without music? 

This I Love is universally bashed as pure bollocks. 

You're a joke.

Calm down man, what I tried to say is that both Axl and Slash are music composer but (of the two) Axl is the lyricist. Maybe you don´t know the difference between a music composer and a songwriter or lyricist. (Two different concepts).

Slash doesn´t write the lyrics of the songs, of course he create music haha. I find amusing some fans and their fanaticism :lol:

I read it on internet article, he said that (I gonna search and share it).

6.5 million world wide. It was posted (for an user) on another thread of " net worths.." you could see there, and the source.

What´s your source? VR´S 5 million? no way haha.

This I love is a beautiful song -a huge percent of the people on youtube and other sites love it-  but for you (and others here) is trash only because was not Slash in the CD :shrugs:

9 hours ago, AxlCole said:

Dude, where did you get that Axl wrote "Michelle", "Sweet Child", and "Jungle"?  He wrote the melodies and lyrics to these songs, but had little to nothing to do with the writing of the music.  Hell, "Sweet Child" was something that came from a finger-exercise Slash had come up with, the famous opening riff, and Izzy started playing chords over for them to jam on, and unbeknownst to them Axl heard it and started writing a melody and lyrics to it. 

I will give you one thing:  I don't understand the bashing here of "This I Love".  Granted, I couldn't care less about it with the version I had heard on CD.... I never even gave it a second thought.  However, with the versions they've been doing on this tour the beauty of it has come through and has, in my opinion at least, elevated it to one of their greatest songs despite the fact there isn't a great studio version to be had.

I said (or tried to say) that Axl wrote the melodies and lyrics. (I don´t know if he composed music like in other songs: november rain for example). 

People here hate "This I love" , I guess it´s for the absence of Slash in that project :wacko: . THe song is great and soo appreciate outside this site ( I mean this forum is only a little part of the world). On internet (youtube, etc) people praise the song, so much.  In the tour the audience gave ovation for TIL. (one of the most).

Robin Fincks SOLO is beautiful, I absolutely love it (much better than Slash´s).

Edited by Juliette

13 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

I get what you mean and i agree in terms of the principle, like The Stone Roses e Smiths are also good examples alsowhere nothings wasted in terms of the solo work...my point really was that its not really the structural body of the song.

Also, nothing is intearchangable but yeah its not as crucial as the foundation of the song. But its kinda like a painting. If you like how it turned out with all the ingedients, know that every little thing has weight and meaning andJimi for example plays a solo on the electric version of hear my train which is basically half the song and its a song by itself that guitar solo. You change one note and the vibe of the song is different. But i agree with how you view the importance of it. Guitar solos got a little too central in hard rock but out things like long stairway to heaven experiments that you could say are redundant even we got slash and srv also 

On 12.8.2016 at 8:05 AM, Apollo said:

Where did you get your 6.5 million figure from? That's a virtually impossible number for it to have sold. People on here have researched the sales totals pretty strenuously and the most reasonable number is 3.5 million worldwide (at the most).

6.5 million is a tad on the high side, but it is not "virtually impossible". I believe the record has sold between 4 and 6 millions. 3.5 millions is, on the other hand, a bit on the low side and would require very little sold after the beginning of 2009 which doesn't fit with the actual sales numbers we have for the UK and US.

16 hours ago, AxlCole said:

I don't understand the bashing here of "This I Love".  Granted, I couldn't care less about it with the version I had heard on CD.... I never even gave it a second thought.  However, with the versions they've been doing on this tour the beauty of it has come through and has, in my opinion at least, elevated it to one of their greatest songs despite the fact there isn't a great studio version to be had.

You see, I don't get this. The only difference between TIL on CD and and TIL on the current tour is two things:

1. Slash's solo

2. Axl's vocals

Now, maybe you dig Slash's solo, but it doesn't change the bulk of the song, the verses, the choruses, the lyrics, the piano, the melody. The main bulk of the song is indentical, so how can you hate it on the album but all of a sudden rate the song when Slash adds some improvised licks? And Axl's live vocals on TIL are horrid compared to his studio vocals.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 1

This I Love is a song I have a growing problem with. I think it is one of the shittiest songs in the universe and the shittiest one that ever came out under the name GNR. The lyrics are simply unbearable. But once Slash added his guitar I began to like it and I have a problem standing myself for that. :lol:

Anyway, Slash's guitars added another dimension to the song, it became sort of sharper, more raw and less sweet, in fact, now, on condition that you really don't listen to the lyrics, it finally doesn't make you want to vomit right away.  As usual, Slash saved it. Axl also sings it really well and the combination of this voice with this guitar is partucularly great there, which is why I unfortunately like it.

Maybe in different genres of music or with different guitarists, the guitars don't make a song but when it comes to Slash, they definitely do. There is no doubt Estranged would be nothing withut those guitars, November Rain would be as unbearable as TIL, there'd be nothing of interest in SCOM. Whereas I can imagine all of the afore mentioned with different lyrics and there's a goog chance they'd even be better (with the exception of SCOM since there the lyrics really match the song and I don't mind them). So, no, the rule that you get the credit for the lyrics but not for the guitar parts just doesn't work at all in bands like GNR.

Slash's guitar is as crucial to each of those songs as are the lyrics and melodies. Period.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Towelie said:

You see, I don't get this. The only difference between TIL on CD and and TIL on the current tour is two things:

1. Slash's solo

2. Axl's vocals

Now, maybe you dig Slash's solo, but it doesn't change the bulk of the song, the verses, the choruses, the lyrics, the piano, the melody. The main bulk of the song is indentical, so how can you hate it on the album but all of a sudden rate the song when Slash adds some improvised licks? And Axl's live vocals on TIL are horrid compared to his studio vocals.

Because the production of the song was so cold and overproduced that it was devoid of the emotional power it now has in these live versions.  From the rawer, more emotional way Axl is singing it, to the power of when the full band comes in, to beauty of the way his voice almost morphs into Slash's equally as emotive lead, which is a powerful combination.... that chemistry.... that raises so many of their songs to a level they wouldn't otherwise be.  Different versions of a song done by different players (sometimes the very same ones) can open songs up to listeners in a way they otherwise wouldn't be.  Otherwise, producers wouldn't be so important, and any version of a song would be equally as successful as any other.  

That said, like I've said on this forum before, I find this to be the case with every CD song they've played live on this tour: I always recognized the songwriting was there, but the production is so bad, and the guitar work so generic, cold, and uninspired, coupled with the overuse of auto tune, that I just couldn't stand listening to it.  But now, done with just the right chemistry, and a rawer, more musically 'honest' context, the material is elevated to what it could and should be..... to its potential.  This is one reason I reeeeally hope, at some point, they start doing "Street of Dreams": I've always noted the writing was great, but for the reasons I've already described I just can't listen to it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Juliette said:

Calm down man, what I tried to say is that both Axl and Slash are music composer but (of the two) Axl is the lyricist. Maybe you don´t know the difference between a music composer and a songwriter or lyricist. (Two different concepts).

Slash doesn´t write the lyrics of the songs, of course he create music haha. I find amusing some fans and their fanaticism :lol:

I read it on internet article, he said that (I gonna search and share it).

6.5 million world wide. It was posted (for an user) on another thread of " net worths.." you could see there, and the source.

What´s your source? VR´S 5 million? no way haha.

This I love is a beautiful song -a huge percent of the people on youtube and other sites love it-  but for you (and others here) is trash only because was not Slash in the CD :shrugs:

I said (or tried to say) that Axl wrote the melodies and lyrics. (I don´t know if he composed music like in other songs: november rain for example). 

People here hate "This I love" , I guess it´s for the absence of Slash in that project :wacko: . THe song is great and soo appreciate outside this site ( I mean this forum is only a little part of the world). On internet (youtube, etc) people praise the song, so much.  In the tour the audience gave ovation for TIL. (one of the most).

Robin Fincks SOLO is beautiful, I absolutely love it (much better than Slash´s).

Dude, you literally said that while some songs were co-written, but 'the most successful and grea songs were written by Axl _completely_', and then listed songs that were in no way written by Axl completely.  You're back tracking to save face instead of just admitting you were mistaken.  I can respect the later... as we all make mistakes.... but not the former.

1 hour ago, Asia said:

This I Love is a song I have a growing problem with. I think it is one of the shittiest songs in the universe and the shittiest one that ever came out under the name GNR. The lyrics are simply unbearable. But once Slash added his guitar I began to like it and I have a problem standing myself for that. :lol:

Anyway, Slash's guitars added another dimension to the song, it became sort of sharper, more raw and less sweet, in fact, now, on condition that you really don't listen to the lyrics, it finally doesn't make you want to vomit right away.  As usual, Slash saved it. Axl also sings it really well and the combination of this voice with this guitar is partucularly great there, which is why I unfortunately like it.

Maybe in different genres of music or with different guitarists, the guitars don't make a song but when it comes to Slash, they definitely do. There is no doubt Estranged would be nothing withut those guitars, November Rain would be as unbearable as TIL, there'd be nothing of interest in SCOM. Whereas I can imagine all of the afore mentioned with different lyrics and there's a goog chance they'd even be better (with the exception of SCOM since there the lyrics really match the song and I don't mind them). So, no, the rule that you get the credit for the lyrics but not for the guitar parts just doesn't work at all in bands like GNR.

Slash's guitar is as crucial to each of those songs as are the lyrics and melodies. Period.

I can't stand TIL and it doesn't make any difference with Slash playing on it for me. But, I really love the demo version of November Rain that is just Axl singing whilst playing the piano. Of course I love the finished version with guitars just as much. But there is something really beautiful about that demo version of November Rain. It's definitely far from unbearable. 

Edited by MillionsOfSpiders
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I can't stand TIL and it doesn't make any difference with Slash playing on it for me. But, I really love the demo version of November Rain that is just Axl singing whilst playing the piano. Of course I love the finished version with guitars just as much. But there is something really beautiful about that demo version of November Rain. It's definitely far from unbearable. 

There was also a guitar demo version that I think was still better. Anyway, I don't like the song in general, the demos were indeed a little better, the final version is far more horrible and the only thing that saves it are the great guitars at the end.

Anyway, I still I stick to my point. If Estranged had different lyrics, it could still be an equally great song, pretty much the same, while if it did not have the guitars it has, it would be completely different, more different to me than with different lyrics. So I don't think the melody line + lyrics rule is in any way sensible.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2016 at 0:50 PM, Juliette said:

6.5 million of copies for Chinese Democracy CD is a good number if you consider the terrible crisis in the music industry. Not to mention all the sold out concerts in Latin America and other places.

(Much better than the 300 k copies sold by Slash in all this years).

Slash said that (Axl wrote all the songs, is not my statement) and he is an authorized opinion, or not?

Of course many of the songs were co-written but the most successful and great songs were written by Axl (completely): November rain, estranged, my michelle, welcome to the jungle, sweet child of mine, this i love ,etc..

Slash is not a songwriter at all, only create music (not lyrics, exept some like rocket queen).

I respect your opinion too, but I think you are in the minority in thinking "this I love" is shit. See several vids on youtube of the song : people absolutely love the song and a lot of users thought TIL a part of a trilogy. (NR-E-TIL).

---------------------------------------------

https://spinditty.com/genres/GNR-Chinese-Democracy

-------------------------------------------

Listen as Slash Says Nice Things About Axl Rose
By Nick DeRiso October 6, 2014 6:36 PM
TWEET
EMAIL
Subscribe to Ultimate Classic Rock on 
After nearly two decades of backbiting and recriminations, it’s easy to forget that Slash and Axl Rose shared a bond that went beyond sparking Guns N’ Roses to greatness.
It was a relationship built on mutual admiration, as Slash makes clear in an exclusive video from Loudwire. “Aside from the fact that he’s obviously one of the greatest singer/frontman guys to come along ever and a brilliant lyricist,” Slash says, “he’s also a super, super intelligent — a very astute individual.”
Find out what else Slash has to say about Rose in the clip, attached above.
This new talk follows a hilarious run through his official Wikipedia page, which ultimately led Slash to a series of fond recollections about his time with both Guns N’ Roses and Velvet Revolver. Check it out at Loudwire, and then listen to the five songs you must hear from Slash’s new album, ‘World on Fire.’

Read More: Listen as Slash Says Nice Things About Axl Rose | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/slash-axl-rose/?trackback=tsmclip

-------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

other:

MusicRadar users voted Axl Rose as the best vocalist to join Velvet Revolver. And perhaps Slash is in agreement - the guitarist has surprisingly kind words for Chinese Democracy, the Guns N' Roses album Axl has labored over for well over a decade. Maybe he wouldn't mind playing the songs live.

"I already listened to it," Slash revealed during a recent interview. "At first I thought that I would never listen to it until it's released, but someone handed it to me and I was in my car and I was like 'Okay, let's give it a try.'

"So I listened to it: It's a really good record. It's very different from what the original Guns N' Roses sounded like, but it's a great statement by Axl. Now you understand where he was heading all this time. It's a record that the original Guns N' Roses could never possibly make. And at the same time it just shows you how brilliant Axl is. So it was a relief for me to actually hear it."

Nine tracks off the album have already been leaked onto the Internet, and Slash had harsh words for the perpetrator. "When somebody takes somebody's work and releases it prematurely just to become famous, it's an incredibly selfish and criminal thing to do. A record is a piece of art. And it shouldn't be released until the creator decides to release it - and I don't care how long it took to make it."

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/slash-calls-guns-n-roses-chinese-democracy-a-great-statement-172820

The number of units CD moved had more to do with what GnR was than any substance in the record itself. CD is a steaming pile of shit compared to AFD, Lies & Illusions. I know some people are fans of the material but Justin Bieber & Nickelback have fans as well. 

new material is a complete mystery, wrapped up in enigma, when it comes to this band. so let's look at the history: usually, the engine for the new material, is creative cooperation in between 2 (and in rare cases 3) people, who are completely different.
(often it's the lead singer and the guitar player, who knew each other from teenage years/childhood). in this case, we have Izzy - extremely prolific, simple, straight shooter and Axl - extremely rigid (when it comes to new material), and cerebral (perfectionism, symbolism, ambiguous but every interpretation is there with a reason etc). so when they interact, I imagine, Izzy is bombarding him with material, then Axl goes woww wait a minute... "person (who's pow is the song) is too whinny here, repetitive there etc". let's merge these parts here, cut out parts there, let's make this "open for interpretation" etc.
perhaps Slash and Izzy function similarly on instrumental level (Slash needs Izzy as much as Axl).
I'll say it here on the record: unless they find a substitute who is as prolific and simple as Izzy, and is willing to cooperate, don't get your hopes high, it just can't happen - despite band's best effort and willingness. it is what it is, it's still great to hear them alive.
  • Like 1