One thing I don't get about Axl/Guns and the lack of new material.

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

Axl's last dates with NuGNR were in mid-2014 and he didn't reappear until two years later for the reunion. I have no way of knowing how he spent those two years, but most bands use their down time to record new music. I'm assuming this never happened during those years otherwise they would've put out a new record to coincide with the reunion.

What I find extremely frustrating as a fan is when I see Axl say that he wants to put out another record, but for all intents and purposes, it doesn't look as if the band have even begun the writing process despite having ample opportunity to do so. They knew this reunion was on the cards for two years, couldn't they have recorded something in that time?

Slash is the kind of guy who has to keep busy and won't procrastinate and wait for Axl to "be ready", so if GNR take some down time and no new music is getting worked on, Slash will inevitably restart things with SMKC, while Axl sits around and does nothing all day (again).

I know there's a group of fans out there who believe this reunion tour is just the beginning, and given time, the band will be firing on all cylinders and releasing new music, but I just don't see it.

'Most bands'. You said it!

...when I see Axl say that he wants to put out another record...

The only response I can think of for this is "Axl says a lot of things". 

I feel you on that but almost nothing he's ever said regarding the release of new music has ever come true. I love CD so I'd be all for any and all material GN'R could release, but I just don't see him getting to it any time soon :/

• Like 1

Axl's last dates with NuGNR were in mid-2014 and he didn't reappear until two years later for the reunion. I have no way of knowing how he spent those two years, but most bands use their down time to record new music. I'm assuming this never happened during those years otherwise they would've put out a new record to coincide with the reunion.

What I find extremely frustrating as a fan is when I see Axl say that he wants to put out another record, but for all intents and purposes, it doesn't look as if the band have even begun the writing process despite having ample opportunity to do so. They knew this reunion was on the cards for two years, couldn't they have recorded something in that time?

Slash is the kind of guy who has to keep busy and won't procrastinate and wait for Axl to "be ready", so if GNR take some down time and no new music is getting worked on, Slash will inevitably restart things with SMKC, while Axl sits around and does nothing all day (again).

I know there's a group of fans out there who believe this reunion tour is just the beginning, and given time, the band will be firing on all cylinders and releasing new music, but I just don't see it.

I suppose Axl looks on GN'R as a hobby project that he works on occasionally, in between other things in his life. Unlike most bands, he doesn't have to release new music, he has nothing to prove and gets by on royalties form the back catalogue.

By now we shouldn't expect Axl to use all his free time on new music. It simply isn't so.

The question is how long will the reunion last without even a new song to be played? They can't play forever the same old songs it will be boring.

Once GNR have toured the whole world at the end of 2017 I don't see them keep going without a new album. I hope this will be the case at least.

• Like 1

This is why I love Axl so much. the world is spinning around him, everyone is asking him for new music, musicians come and go. But the man couldn't give a flying fuck. He's just chilling, having a good time, enjoying taco bell and booze. Can you blame him? That guy IS rock n roll. It means: not giving a fuck.

In many ways I am like him. Or better: I "want" to be like him. Not listening to no one. But god knows not everyone of us has that luxury, me included. At work I have my boss, and at home my (lovely) wife.

I'm too old to care about new music. So much great music that's already there, so many bands to discover / enjoy. What difference could one new album possibly make? I just hope he enjoys his life. I know I am.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Night Drive Lonelinessl said:

Sebastian Bach has heard 4 albums worth of new Chinese Democracy material

yeah, all along with the 8 different covers / booklets, 5 new videos and the remastered house of blues concert (Order Now - Blu Ray / DVD / CD / Download / Vinyl / Tape / VHS / acetate - the quality will blow you away!).

5 hours ago, action said:

This is why I love Axl so much. the world is spinning around him, everyone is asking him for new music, musicians come and go. But the man couldn't give a flying fuck. He's just chilling, having a good time, enjoying taco bell and booze. Can you blame him? That guy IS rock n roll. It means: not giving a fuck.

In many ways I am like him. Or better: I "want" to be like him. Not listening to no one. But god knows not everyone of us has that luxury, me included. At work I have my boss, and at home my (lovely) wife.

I'm too old to care about new music. So much great music that's already there, so many bands to discover / enjoy. What difference could one new album possibly make? I just hope he enjoys his life. I know I am.

I can find nothing admirable or 'rock n' roll' in only releasing one album within twenty-five years! Most of the original rockers were prolific infact.

Edited by DieselDaisy
Horrible spelling.
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

There was this in December 2014, so we know he's been working on something. 

TCs2GgY.png

I'm hoping that GN'R releases CD II soon without Bumblefoot, Ashba, or Frank.

Then get to writing material from the ground up with the current band.

Frank is in the current band...

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I can find nothing admiral or 'rock n' roll' in only releasing one album within twenty-five years! Most of the original rockers were prolific infact.

depends on how you look at it

"rock n roll" as a lifestyle I associate with freedom, careless, reckless. Work ethics is the last thing that comes to mind when I think of rock n roll. Work ethics, makes me think about being a slave of capitalism if anything.

GNR released 50-ish songs in their prime. But that's not why they are rock n roll. If Justin bieber releases an album every year, does that make him rock n roll?

Hell, Dennis Wilson only released one album, with one being left In the vault, and the guy was more rock n roll than most musicians ever could hope to be

• Like 1

1 minute ago, action said:

depends on how you look at it

"rock n roll" as a lifestyle I associate with freedom, careless, reckless. Work ethics is the last thing that comes to mind when I think of rock n roll. Work ethics, makes me think about being a slave of capitalism if anything.

GNR released 50-ish songs in their prime. But that's not why they are rock n roll. If Justin bieber releases an album every year, does that make him rock n roll?

Hell, Dennis Wilson only released one album, with one being left In the vault, and the guy was more rock n roll than most musicians ever could hope to be

I don't agree. For a start, rock n' roll is associated with creativity, bags and bags of creativity. Analyse all the greats, Chuck, Beatles, Stones, Dylan - Beach Boys if you will - and they all possess this creative spirit. There has to be an expression of your rock n' roll to begin with. Heck, even somebody as hedonistic as GG Allin released music (besides bodily fluids!). To simply shut up shop is about as un-rock n' roll as one can fathom.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, action said:

Haha well that is true. I just wish he would release new music so he leaves us with a legacy worthy of the rock god that he is.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I don't agree. For a start, rock n' roll is associated with creativity, bags and bags of creativity. Analyse all the greats, Chuck, Beatles, Stones, Dylan - Beach Boys if you will - and they all possess this creative spirit. There has to be an expression of your rock n' roll to begin with. Heck, even somebody as hedonistic as GG Allin released music (besides bodily fluids!). To simply shut up shop is about as un-rock n' roll as one can fathom.

but there has been creativity, at a time when it was all genuine. appetite is one of the most genuine albums I ever heard.

is it still genuine though? Three old rockers writing songs about their million dollar lives, do we want to hear it? You get cringeworthy songs like "big machine" which was an absolute disgrace of a song lyrically: "I've got houses, got wives, got cars, got money on the baaaaank". Ugh. Fuck off with your luxury problems.

Somehow I think Axl, Slash and Duff are well aware they aren't the rogue crew anymore they were in the '80s when they trespassed properties and swam in other peoples swimming pools. You can only write about what you know. They "could" write about feelings they had some 30 years ago, but it wouldn't sound fresh, and worse of it all: it wouldn't sound sincere. Old man's ranting, it would be.

some Robert plant quotes:

"Do you know why the Eagles said they’d reunite when 'hell freezes over,' but they did it anyway and keep touring?” he asks. "It’s not because they were paid a fortune. It’s not about the money. It’s because they’re bored. I’m not bored."

Nearly all of Plant's peers are happy to deal with such a circus considering the insane financial rewards. "Good luck to them," he sneers. "I hope they're having a real riveting and wonderful late middle age. Somehow I don't think they are." 

Edited by action

3 minutes ago, action said:

but there has been creativity, at a time when it was all genuine. appetite is one of the most genuine albums I ever heard.

is it still genuine though? Three old rockers writing songs about their million dollar lives, do we want to hear it? You get cringeworthy songs like "big machine" which was an absolute disgrace of a song lyrically: "I've got houses, got wives, got cars, got money on the baaaaank". Ugh. Fuck off with your luxury problems.

Somehow I think Axl, Slash and Duff are well aware they aren't the rogue crew anymore they were in the '80s when they trespassed properties and swam in other peoples swimming pools. You can only write about what you know. They "could" write about feelings they had some 30 years ago, but it wouldn't sound fresh, and worse of it all: it wouldn't sound sincere. Old man's ranting, it would be.

"Do you know why the Eagles said they’d reunite when 'hell freezes over,' but they did it anyway and keep touring?” he asks. "It’s not because they were paid a fortune. It’s not about the money. It’s because they’re bored. I’m not bored."

Nearly all of Plant's peers are happy to deal with such a circus considering the insane financial rewards. "Good luck to them," he sneers. "I hope they're having a real riveting and wonderful late middle age. Somehow I don't think they are." 

I don't know what Axl is going to write about as he never releases anything! He need not delve into the cliches you cite though. He could release an album on aging and death like Dylan's Time Out of Mind (a masterpiece, made when Dylan was in his late '50s); he could write an introspective album like Neil Young's Le Noise, or something topical like Living With War. Johnny Cash released great albums in his twilight years - heck, Keith Richards, just last year, released a great solo album.

None of these millionaires felt the need to write about their million dollar lives, or the sort of rock star lyrics you cite in your second paragraph. And furthermore, they are all great albums!

You must have a very low opinion of Axl's songwriting if you think his muse cannot withstand the ravages of money and age!

Scott Weiland wrote 'Big Machine'; I'm not going to judge Axl's songwriting from Scott Weiland's lyrics - a musician I do not care for.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

I don't know what Axl is going to write about as he never releases anything! He need not delve into the cliches you cite though. He could release an album on aging and death like Dylan's Time Out of Mind (a masterpiece, made when Dylan was in his late '50s); he could write an introspective album like Neil Young's Le Noise, or something topical like Living With War. Johnny Cash released great albums in his twilight years - heck, Keith Richards, just last year, released a great solo album.

None of these millionaires felt the need to write about their million dollar lives, or the sort of rock star lyrics you cite in your second paragraph. And furthermore, they are all great albums!

You must have a very low opinion of Axl's songwriting if you think his muse cannot withstand the ravages of money and age!

Scott Weiland wrote 'Big Machine'; I'm not going to judge Axl's songwriting from Scott Weiland's lyrics - a musician I do not care for.

I don't question Axl's lyrical capacities, but let's face it: the guy lives with an imaginary Brazilian mommy for the last 15 years or so. it's not an environment that's really benefitting creativity.

That said, I will be first person in line for a new GNR album, and I sincerely hope it will rock. but yeah, like you said: what will they write about? 't will be interesting to find out. It would be badass if they addressed the anger between them. Now there lays a great story to tell. They could easily fill up an album with it. But that takes a lot of balls to do. 

2 minutes ago, action said:

I don't question Axl's lyrical capacities, but let's face it: the guy lives with an imaginary Brazilian mommy for the last 15 years or so. it's not an environment that's really benefitting creativity.

That said, I will be first person in line for a new GNR album, and I sincerely hope it will rock. but yeah, like you said: what will they write about? 't will be interesting to find out. It would be badass if they addressed the anger between them. Now there lays a great story to tell. They could easily fill up an album with it. But that takes a lot of balls to do. 

On Michael Jackson's last few records he dealt with themes pertaining to being a sort of closeted pop-star, besieged by the 'tabloid' media.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if I believe that the trouble lies in a lack of things to write about. I mean, plenty of muli-millionaire artists still produce great work at a fairly regular interval, you just have to use your imagination.

I think it's more of a  "why should I put myself through it?" kind of attitude. Axl clearly sees releasing music as a big deal, and it's obviously not something he's overly invested in doing.

• Like 1

Maybe Axl did use most of 2015 to write more music? Maybe he didn't? It doesn't really matter. There's shit loads of new music just waiting to be released anyway. Writing new music is not the problem. Releasing music is the problem. Why don't they release all the music they've written? That's the question.

Well Slash and Duff would naturally have to play their parts on the songs. If they're back in the band, it would make no sense to release an album without them. Based on what Axl said in the interview, it doesn't seem like Duff or Slash would have been working on the new album yet, even though they liked what Axl has written. I guess most of 2015 they were negotiating all the details of the tour. A new album would be the next step.

Edited by Lies They Tell
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Towelie said:

i see this Axl as a new Axl, wanting to do more, produce more. hell i never thought he'd pull off doing those first GN'R reunion gigs then do Axl/DC then back to GN'R and now set to finish the rest of the Axl/DC tour. then South America? he seems to be as energetic if not more than he was  even back in the beginning. i don't know what changed but i'm loving it :) 

2 hours ago, action said:

It's a little strange to write both "You can only write about what you know" and then, within the very same post, quote a guy who wrote about Middle Earth and other such fantasy things in the music he made in his prime. 

Great lyricists can and do write about all kinds of things.  It doesn't just come from things they are living and seeing, or saw and have done.

• Like 2

give it time, let's see how it all plays out. Maybe new music will happen, maybe it won't? It's like dating an old girlfriend again, just because the sex is good and your having fun doesn't mean you are ready to get married. But if you just ride the ride, before you know it you are saying "I Do".

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Towelie said:

You said it yourself, the last dates were in mid 2014. GNR was then on sabbatical after years of touring and saturating the market. They needed to take a step back and regroup. While there could be recording going on, releasing an album probably wasn't on the radar at that point, as everything was also kind of in the air lineup wise. Band's release albums to help promote their tour nowadays. A GNR reunion tour didn't need any more promotion than them announcing and showing up. 

GNR is not like any other band. At the time (prob around 2010), a release probably made more sense, however for whatever reason didn't make sense for either/both GNR and Universal. It could come down to money/advance, marketing strategy/promtion, the material itself is not being backed by the label, the label had ulterior motives, or the band isn't ready to release the stuff that's already there. Or it could be a multitude of things. There's just a lot more hurdles to jump after what went down during the Chinese Democracy era than other "normal" major label bands. 

The next go around in the US could be different. If releasing an album gets them in stadiums as opposed to arenas, then that's something to consider from all parties.