Is Axl about to get back on 2006 rasp levels?

I was just browsing Youtube and found this video of You Could Be Mine from Rock Am Ring in 2006 and felt that it wasn't that big of a difference from the YCBM in Houston show last week! 
And since songs like Welcome To The Jungle, Nightrain and Out Ta Get Me almost sounds as good live now as they did on the records I started wondering if Axl may very soon be on a 2006 level of rasp!
Sadly the 90s voice is gone (and that was 25 years ago so what can you expect) but I have a feeling that 06/10 levels of rasp again definitely is possible in the near future. :) What do you guys think?

I think Axl has a busy schedule for the next two years and his voice is where he wants it. He will continue to be technically great on vocals and won't push the vocal chords beyond what is necessary. This in itself will make him a better singer but for now Houston is as far as he will go. 2006 was some great vocal work and I think that voice deserves its own level of appreciation. 2010 was over doing it. 

The voice is there but no reason to sprint in a marathon 

• Like 3

I' ve said it many times before.. Personally I think this one here is probably one of the best performances of the Nu GN'R era.

Even better than 2006 Axl. If you close your eyes and just listen, you can easily say it's back from th 80's.

Or we can say Duff did he job there too. :P AMAZING vocals. Just AMAZING.

As for now, I think the AXL/DC thing play a big part on Axl's performances. For example, he's doing rehearsals again(!) he has his vocal teacher with him, again.

He's full of energy again, he's HAPPY and enjoys it.. So put all these aside and enjoy it too.. :)

• Like 1

Back in those years, the rasp was kinda like razor blade high pitched screaming, my ears absolutely love it. You can feel the oversaturation in it which I think its tremendous, rock wise. 

It's a constant evolution, you can hear a few of  '02 -'06-'10 and '12 right now but with control. Axl knows how to control his voice when it's time to rasp and go clean and not over doing to put his voice in the danger zone.

24 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

i love this version of PC! Best since the 90's. This is what he could still do in 2016

Edited by Silent Jay

3 minutes ago, nikosgnr said:

I' ve said it many times before.. Personally I think this one here is probably one of the best performances of the Nu GN'R era.

Even better than 2006 Axl. If you close your eyes and just listen, you can easily say it's back from th 80's.

As for now, I think the AXL/DC thing play a big part on Axl's performances. For example, he's doing rehearsals again(!) he has his vocal teacher with him, again.

He's full of energy again, he's HAPPY and enjoys it.. So put all these aside and enjoy it too.. :)

Most importantly is he definitely is enjoying the process again. It's no longer a burden to him to be prepared or be on time. Maybe the money has helped but it's doing wonders

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

Not the same powerhouse but I feel Axl has more control with his voice and the rasp now.

2010 was the shit.

His voice sounded great there, but he puts much more power and soul on this song now.

He did very well on PC in Houston and San Francisco, but the current live version of the song doesn't do it justice.

Edited by Blackstar

57 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Most importantly is he definitely is enjoying the process again. It's no longer a burden to him to be prepared or be on time. Maybe the money has helped but it's doing wonders

For sure..! I totally agree with this. He's enjoying it an we can see an hear it.

Personally I don't think it's about the money..

There's a reason the 2010 era didn't last long. That rasp was very forced and wasn't always pleasing to listen to compared to the 90's rasp we know and love. Plus, I think Axl is as technically as he's ever been singing wise, so overall he sounds better/more consistent than both the 06'/'10 periods. But hey that's just my opinion.

Personally im pretty sure axl is singing waaaay better now that in 2006,..  Right now is somewhere between 1992 and 2010.  

I really like the way axl is handleing his pipes right now.  Soft when needed, strong when needed, tender when needed, agresive when needed.  Middle range, médium, low range, natural voice, deep low voice, chest voice, throat voice, nouse voice... All in every single show. 

The only axl i like more than now days is 1993 axl and february to August 2010 axl.  ( nobody, nothing, nada, no humang being in the whole world cant beat 93 axl)

2016    W. Axl Rose is by far the current best rock frontman/singer in the world.  So yes, im pretty happy with this 2016-20?? Axl and  GNR.   And no, i really dont liked "that much" 2006. It was fine, but the way i see it. It was great... COMPARED TO 2001-2002 axl.. Thats it

• Like 2

In my opinion, if he sang all the notes in its correct phrasing (like in Jungle he shortens the phrasing, vs how it is on the album, and In Better as well), with his current voice, it would sound way better.

His tone is a mix of 2006 and 2010 (2010 being chainsaw rasp, vs 2006 being a more controlled "nicer tone" rasp), but seems more uncontrolled (some times voice goes a little over the place when hes pushing it, where as when he pushed his voice in 2006, it was more controlled)). . He still doesn't have much mid range anymore (Better being the prime example, 2006 seems like it was chest voice rasp, 2010 seemed like a head voice rasp (which is different)).

14 minutes ago, Chris 55 said:

I love topic headers like this. Like I'd know the answer. 

Haha it's kinda fun to speculate and share opinions. Some people here have real knowledge of vocals and some are such big fans they can hear a version of a song and know what year it's from. 

• Like 1

i'll never get what's so great about that am ring performance. it's mickey galore. I thought it sounded cringeworthy then, and i think it sounds cringeworthy hearing it back now.

in fact, the first time i heard Axl with acceptable vocals after the breakup, was in 2010.

in any way thinkable, Axl's voice sounds better to me in 2016 than it did in any year before 2010. more power, more grinta, less mickey.

Edited by action

9 hours ago, nikosgnr said:

now imagine if we had Slash there too

25 minutes ago, action said:

i'll never get what's so great about that am ring performance. it's mickey galore. I thought it sounded cringeworthy then, and i think it sounds cringeworthy hearing it back now.

in fact, the first time i heard Axl with acceptable vocals after the breakup, was in 2010.

in any way thinkable, Axl's voice sounds better to me in 2016 than it did in any year before 2010. more power, more grinta, less mickey.

this should have been the first time you heard Axl with acceptable vocals. He's perfect throughout 

18 hours ago, nikosgnr said:

Alwa loved this video too! Amazing performance. Only miss the "nananananana baby".