Is Axl about to get back on 2006 rasp levels?

2006 was spectacular. Axl had control over his vocals. 2009 Japan shows and the 2010 tour was Axl getting all of the, "Chinese Democracy didn't fucking sell, and nobody understands me, and I miss my braids, and my Tobias, and where did these 35 pounds come from?" out of his system. All I have to say is 2009 Nightrain, and you all know what exactly I'm talking about. Axl wasn't singing, he was screaming bloody murder into the mic; to this day I still believe Axl permanently damaged his vocal chords during the 2010 tour. What I'm most pissed about is that I took it for granted--I think a lot of us did, and we realized it as soon as soon as a yellow raincoat hit the stage.

(The fact that I'm even talking about this makes me feel fucking ancient. I remember watching the videos in 2006 as they were being uploaded to YouTube).

I don't think Axl will ever be able to get back to 2006/2010 form. However, I can say with ease that everything he's doing now is better than 2011-2014. Off the top of my head, I can think of two vocal highlights from that era: 2012 in Philly, and some of the screams on Prostitute and TWAT at the last Vegas Residency. 99% of everything else was Bridge School level shit.

At the end of the day, I'm just happy Axl's 3 year long "sore throat" has been healed.

• Like 2

Houston was a bit like Philly 2012, above average for the tour. It was exciting, but a dot outside of the curve. 

I think it's pretty clear that his voice sounded strained in the next show after that one. Perhaps he wanted to see what would happen if he pushed it a bit further than usual, did just that and then reverted to business as usual.

2010 was immense but I think he sounds better now than in 2006.

Then there's Axl/DC, during that stint of shows just a few weeks ago he was easily at 2010 levels. His raspy high pitched singing and screaming were beyond amazing and the shock at how great he sings expressed by people who hadn't before given him a shot, even in his prime, is proof of that. Axl in one concert arguably topped Bon and Brian live performances by freakishly sounding like a mix of the 2 of them IN THEIR PRIME, and those guys are 2 of the greats who rightly share the top spots on those top singers lists with axl many times..Axl did that whilst sitting down!!! I'm actually still in kinda shock at what he did there.  

On 8/13/2016 at 10:54 PM, youngswedishvinyl said:

Sadly the 90s voice is gone (and that was 25 years ago so what can you expect) but I have a feeling that 06/10 levels of rasp again definitely is possible in the near future. :) What do you guys think?

You have heard boots from 2010, right? And Axl/DC? If you're talking about rasp, power and 90's style voice then that's where you wanna go. 2006-07 was much more a mix of clean anjd controlled rasp. 

1 minute ago, Jordan Rose said:

You have heard boots from 2010, right? And Axl/DC? If you're talking about rasp, power and 90's style voice then that's where you wanna go. 2006-07 was much more a mix of clean anjd controlled rasp. 

The problem I have with (at least most of) the 2010 boots is that I feel like his voice sounds sort of forced and thus I prefer the '06 voice! 
I agree that the 90s voice is there with Axl/DC the problem there is that almost all of AC/DC's songs are full on rasp all the way through (just like WTTJ, OTGM and Nightrain) where as songs like YCBM, Sweet Child and PC has a mix of rasp and clean vocals which is something I feel Axl hasn't been able to do since '93 (hell he couldn't do it in '91 either but the problem back then was too much rasp).

• Like 1

I wish cell phone video was better in 06...I think there's a lot of great performances we missed bc of this. It's sad we don't have a better quality version of Sailing than this 

2010 was amazing don't get me wrong but 06 had better vocal performance live than some of his 91-93 work, which in 2010's case he was battling his raspier self from that era which you always lose but he was definitely a better singer in 06 imo. 2010 had the fortune of getting every performance recorded with a decent device. 06 this wasn't as likely. 

31 minutes ago, Matt13 said:

This was the best YCBM since the 90's.  I'd say on par with the 90's... pretty impressive:

Not sure he defied the 20 year gap when you see a performance like this 

but nobody would have thought he'd have that voice in 2010 after hearing him sing like this in 92. 

Things are really good at the moment. 

He's using his clean/Mickey voice more than in 2006 or 2010, but it sounds better overall. Not sure if this is something with the mix, or better control on Axl's part, but it carries superbly well in the stadiums. Never too high or low. And he can still rasp as hard as ever at times.

Phone vids and their bad mikes do not do the shows justice. Axl is on fire out there.