Bands similar to GNR for when you want music??

I'm sure this has been a thread at some point, but who to y'all listen to that's similar to GNR when you need something extra? (I mean, when you don't want to wait 14 years for new stuff to be released).

I love my AC/DC, Aerosmith, and Scorpions, but I can't help but feel like there's another GNR-like band that's perhaps underrated and lesser-known that I haven't given a shot yet.

I spent a long time on that quest after discovering GNR. Some recommendations: Steelhearts Tangled In Reins album. That's pretty much as GNR-sound like as you could get for an album, very underrated imho, one of the last good hard rock albums from the era before Grunge. Giants Time To Burn, Great Whites Hooked aswell as Psycho City (they were label mates with GNR), Mr. Bigs Lean Into It, all 3 Burning Rain albums and all Thunder albums (especially Laughing On Judgement Day).

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 2

Black Label Society. They're my second favorite band. They have soft songs like Just Killing Time and Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow, which could be compared to songs like TIL, Ballads like Angel of Mercy, Last Goodbye, January, and Sick of it All which could be compared to CITR, Patience, November Rain, etc, and tons of rockers like Southern Dissolution, New Religion, Stillborn, and Fire it Up. I'm pretty sure they're going to have a new album out in the next year or so.

I like Art of Anarchy too... But they've only put out one album so far. They have a new one coming out at some point this year or so, but I'm not sure if Scott Stapp is going to be able to do a good job replacing Weiland.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, G-Money said:

I'm sure this has been a thread at some point, but who to y'all listen to that's similar to GNR when you need something extra? (I mean, when you don't want to wait 14 years for new stuff to be released).

I love my AC/DC, Aerosmith, and Scorpions, but I can't help but feel like there's another GNR-like band that's perhaps underrated and lesser-known that I haven't given a shot yet.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, liers said:

Black Label Society. They're my second favorite band. They have soft songs like Just Killing Time and Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow, which could be compared to songs like TIL, Ballads like Angel of Mercy, Last Goodbye, January, and Sick of it All which could be compared to CITR, Patience, November Rain, etc, and tons of rockers like Southern Dissolution, New Religion, Stillborn, and Fire it Up. I'm pretty sure they're going to have a new album out in the next year or so.

15 minutes ago, Kickingthehabit said:

This. This is one of my absolute favorite albums, as far as non-GNR albums go this is #1 for me. I've been hooked on this band since the first time I heard 'Oh Lord', and I got to see them live twice (and met them once). I can't wait for Eric's solo album. Sorry for the sidetrack but Foxy are my second favorite band in case you hadn't noticed :lol:

______

I'll add the album "The Art Of Telling Lies" by Vains of Jenna to the list.

Edited by Gordon Comstock
added youtube videos

For me, no vocalist comes close to Axl's melodies or voice (including the Chinese Democracy stuff), and no guitarist comes close to anything GNR (AFD-CD era even).

That being said, One Bad Sun has this song i really like

Also Rival Sons has one I like

3 hours ago, G-Money said:

Do you remember White Trash and Dangerous Toys? Late 80's, early 90's. 

White Trash had that hit Apple Pie. Good song but the unreleased material on that album was something else. I believe they may have a follow up but I could never find it. Anyway those guys were like GN'R meets the The Chilli Peppers and they should have been much more successful than they were. They had a full time horn section. Grunge killed them and it's a real shame. Here's a few...the singer can be a tad shrill but this band is badass..love them and still listen to this album. Listen to these. The rest of the album is on YouTube. 

Dangerous Toys had the hit Teas'n Pleas'n. I'll link that and a couple of others. Jason Master is an awesome singer. Fuzzy photo at the bottom but it's a picture of my husband and I with him. He was doing a gig singing for Sad Wings, a Priest tribute band. 

This one here is my favorite..."Outlaw"

1 minute ago, AxlisOld said:

God...Dangerous Toys are the kind of band that I assume made people burn out on the genre. Sportin' a Woody...really?

God...Dangerous Toys are the kind of band that I assume made people burn out on the genre. Sportin' a Woody...really?

Haha..maybe, I dunno. I always dug them. They were pretty raw, and I am a fan of raw things lol. I played this album on a regular back in the day. 

My picture didn't go through, oh well..

4 hours ago, Babooshka said:

I second Thin Lizzy. Get their live album, it's awesome.

I don't think many bands really sound like Guns though.

Hell yea. Live and Dangerous is one hell of an album. I think I'll take it for a spin on the turntable later.