Bands similar to GNR for when you want music??

I really like Hillbilly Herald..

They put out a 5 song EP called Sunday's best that is just off the charts. Their first self titled was good too.. Don't think they have done anything ..other than that. I would call them a cross between Guns, AC/DC, Faster Pussycat and Crue..

Edited by Tom-Ass

Early Replacements -- It's a similar formula to Appetite era Guns N' Roses. The swing/rawness of early Aerosmith with the velocity of the Ramones.  Also Tommy Stinson is their bassist. They are a legendary rock band and their first two albums are great. A lot of people cite GNR's Sunset Strip (hair metal) contemporaries, but Guns didn't have much to do with or say about that scene other than blowing it out of the water completely. 

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BQWpozAfXWM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by LaterHolmes
embedding probs!

Impossible to name one band. GNR has elements from so many different genres, so if I wanted the feeling that I get from listening to GNR without actually listening to GNR, it would have to be a mixture of many songs from different bands. Something like this:

Anarchy in the UK - Sex Pistols

Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell - The Stooges

Rats In The Cellar - Aerosmith

Underwater World - Hanoi Rocks

High Voltage - AC/DC

Breed - Nirvana

Chip Away The Stone - Aerosmith

Crazy Bitch - Buckcherry

Just Because - Jane's Addiction

Someone Saved My Life Tonight - Elton John

Sunshine (Go Away Today) - Jonathan Edwards

Trouble Seeker - Cypress Hill

Rock N Roll - Led Zeppelin

Taxi Driver - Hanoi Rocks

The Whip Hand - The Mars Volta

Back In Black - AC/DC

Love Is Blindness - Jack White

Salt Of The Earth - The Rolling Stones

Slave To The Grind - Skid Row

Razamanaz - Nazareth

Dead Jail Or Rock N' Roll - Michael Monroe

Polly - Nirvana

Gimme Shelter - The Rolling Stones

When The Sun Goes Down - Arctic Monkeys

Sex Type Thing -Stone Temple Pilots

Rock Is Dead - Marilyn Manson

Shadow On The Sun - Audioslave

Train Kept a Rollin' - Aerosmith

The Show Must Go On - Queen

Some choices might sound odd to some, but this is my list. :P

Edited by Lies They Tell

Great Thread and when I have some more time i will have a listen to some more of the suggestions in here. 

One of my favorites that I keep going back to is "American Pearl". Only put out out one album. I just keep going back to it. I don't really know anything about the band members but I do love the album.

No band is similar to GNR even tho GNR got elements from Beatles, ledzep, stones, dolls, queen, bowie, acdc, hanoi, aerosmith, nazareth, elton, pistols, duran duran, prince, sly and the family stone...

But I want A7X and/or FNM to open for them, minimum of 90 mins. :D 

Like others have said, GN'R are unique but if you want the same quality of rock, you might as well stick to the best....Led Zeppelin, The Doors, Pink Floyd, etc. 

If you're looking for an underrated band, Cinderella was probably one of the most underrated bands from the era.....still no "GN'R" but they weren't a typical "glam band" either....had a "bluesy" sound to them.

Edited by Kasanova King

On 14/8/2016 at 3:38 AM, Gordon Comstock said:

I'll add the album "The Art Of Telling Lies" by Vains of Jenna to the list.

I think their first record "Lit Up/Let Down" is pretty cool as well.

Also, Lizzy Devine's new band "The Cruel Intentions" is great. They've only released 4 songs so far, though.

I don't think there are any bands similar to GNR but another hard rock band I like is Backyard Babies.

And of course, special mention to the living legend Michael Monroe!

3 songs that approximate the early swing and velocity of Appetite Era Guns:

1). "Takin' a Ride" -- The Replacements

2). "No Feelings" -- Sex Pistols

3). "I'm So Bored with the U.S.A" -- The Clash

I spend a lot of time looking for the "Rolling Ramones" feel of Appetite. It's what made them great IMO.

• 1 year later...

LOVE-HATE-BLACKOUT.jpg

Don't know if anyone else remembers this band. The debuted when I was around 10 years old or so.....but they were actually marketed/called "The Most Real Rock n Roll Band Since Guns n Roses." I did notice that Jizzy Pearl from this band, is now the front man for both Ratt and Quiet Riot at this time.