Melissa, Dizzy on Keyboard

14 hours ago, RONIN said:

Melissa is amazing. Incredible backup singer -- even Adele would be blown away. I love the way she rocks out on Patience and Don't Cry -- the way she dances and pretends to play the keyboard during these ballads is truly spectacular. She may be the greatest GnR member since Dizzy. I don't even bother looking at Axl and Slash when I'm watching bootlegs of these shows, my eyes are on the blue smurfette dancing like she's at a rave. How can anyone not like her?

Can we also do an appreciation thread for Richard Fortus next and how he's the next Eddie Van Halen? 

As difficult as it often is to do on the internets, I sense....... sarcasm.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Slash787 said:

I don't mind Dizzy that much. AFD 5 with Dizzy is really cool to me. 

We need him in Estranged and 14 years. 

I really don't get the use of 2nd keyboard players. The Guns N' Roses I knew, it was never needed. 

She just stands, shakes her ass, does some back vocals. 

Well they did have Teddy Zig Zag Andreas during the UYI tour who played keys alongside Dizzy on some songs + Plus the 976 horn section who also provided backup vocals. Melissa fulfills all of their roles plus the stuff on Chinese Democracy. Truth is that a ton of songs have piano parts plus other instrumentation that needs to be represented if you want to replicate it live. That's two keyboard players. There are plenty of bands who would just throw that person behind the stage and have them play along to put up the guise that they sound bigger than they are. I guess GNR doesn't like to hide behind a curtain? What you see on stage is what you really hear for the most part. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Juliette said:

Maybe they are jelous or envy her for being there because GNR is a legendary band. I see a lot of hate toward her (specially on periscopes), I don`t think she deserves that. I read on social media that she is nice with people and very thankful for being in the band.

Also, she is not a teenager. for what said other poster here, she is in the mid. 30s.

In my opinion she is talented and a complete artist: not only is multi instrumentalist, she also sings and helps in the programming department.

The most important thing is that if the guys (Axl, Slash and Duff) hired her to the band, is their decision.

Can you tell me your opinion of DJ Ashba so I can know whether or not I should right you off forever.

17 hours ago, Nintari said:

I don't like keyboards in rock music at all. Even the illusion era, the keys always seemed tacked on an pointless. Axl can play piano so there's just no reason for either of them to be there. Having said that, it doesn't bother me. When I was at my show, I barely noticed either of them and didn't feel like they were loud enough to fuck anything up anyway.

Mixed on this -- on some songs on UYI, I wonder what a piano-less rawer version would sound like. On other songs like breakdown and 14 years for example, it's hard to imagine them without piano.

That and I really dislike seeing Axl playing piano live -- never was a fan of that.

10 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

They were fucking awesome as a 5 man band but Dizzy has earned his keep.. There is definitely a need for him.  Smurfette is useless though.

Dizzy as a touring member a la zig zag is whatever -- a necessary evil I guess. He should never have been in the band as a full member imho. 

It's a fond hope that after they tour the world, they do smaller club shows with just the 5 core members of the band. It's been a long time since gnr sounded stripped down and raw.

6 hours ago, Blake Sabbath said:

How can you NOT hear his bongos during Jungle?!

Out of likes but this cracked me up :lol:

7 hours ago, Slash787 said:

I don't mind Dizzy that much. AFD 5 with Dizzy is really cool to me. 

We need him in Estranged and 14 years. 

I really don't get the use of 2nd keyboard players. The Guns N' Roses I knew, it was never needed. 

She just stands, shakes her ass, does some back vocals. 

She is completely useless. I was wondering why you and Tom were calling her out so I took a closer look at the clips on YouTube -- like you said, she literally just shakes her ass and does that raver headbang on every song -- even when she's not playing anything. It's really bizarre. Even Dizzy has the sense to just hang back and chill when he's not playing.

I have nothing against her but she doesn't fit at all in this band -- looks like she's cosplaying some anime character or at a rave.

Axl loves to bloat this band with unnecessary shit.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Yesterdays-Civil-War said:

Can you tell me your opinion of DJ Ashba so I can know whether or not I should right you off forever.

I don´t like him. Why do you ask about Dj Ashba? haha. The band had great musicians in that period, but I don´t count him :lol: Nothing personal agaisnt him.

I stubled upon an old "nuGNR" song live on you tube yesterday (how wonderful it is to be able to write that nuGNR is old) and one thing's for sure - Titman was huge disgrace! It's a true blessing that Pito is gone so in that regard Melissa is much better but yeah, sure we could do without her and we'd be better off that way.

• Like 1

melissa is fine on keyboards, her backing vocals are nice, obviously shes not tracy or roberta but its good to have her still, and for the people who think we dont need her on keys, i think she is kinda needed to play those odd keyboard parts for the chinese songs

Nobody is more annoying than Pitman, that´s for sure haha. I think it is an upgrade.

Tracy and Roberta were backup singers only, Melissa is singer AND musician. For what I´ve seen in her website , she is songwriter and music composer too..may be in the future she could contribute with something.

Edited by Juliette

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Tracy and Roberta were better looking and less annoying.

I hated them SO MUCH and found them the most annoying thing in the world at the time. Partly because the UYI line-up came after what was the best ever line-up in rock n roll history, just the five of them. Now my expectations are FAR lower but I still think Melissa is easier to digest then tracy and roberta, and her vocals are much better. That said I could gladly do without her, she's annoying, even more so on social media, but on stage too.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2016 at 3:13 PM, Yesterdays-Civil-War said:

The only love for females I have in GN'R was Tracey and Roberta. I don't really see the rationale behind letting Pitman go, but my god, did we get to see how much of a bitch he was when he was let go with the whole "FU moneygrab tour" comment. I don't see the need for a second keyboard in the first place, they're making it just fine with 2 guitarists instead of 3, so I think they could live with just Dizzy. It's not like we're going to be hearing CD stuff that requires two keyboards anyway.

In regards to Melissa, the sentiment of most concert goers when I was at the Houston show was "who's that bitch?" She just looks out of place with a bunch of 50 year old rockers. Plus she's easily forgettable, which is probably a good thing: I don't even remember if Axl introduced her at the show, and I'm speaking from both physically being there and re-watching the show on film; I even googled her a couple days ago, and I had already forgotten her name until this thread came along.

her backing vocals are great; I think she's there more for that more than playing keyboard; listen to Chinese Democracy and you'll hear her do all the high end vocals throughout the entire song.........

Edited by jmapelian
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Juliette said:

Melissa is singer AND musician. For what I´ve seen in her website , she is songwriter and music composer too..may be in the future she could contribute with something.

I would like to see them release rock music.

• Like 2

Melissa is a very wise move on Axl's part to keep the band more related somehow with a younger audience rather than just +40's oldfuck fans like myself. And yes she's indeed easy to look at.

Edited by trqster
  • Like 1