Sacking a friend/colleague

Gracii Guns

In a bit of a pickle.

I run a website with a couple of people who I became friends with after establishing professional relationships with them. Myself and one other guy are pretty chilled and enjoy it for what it is, but the other person is more and more using it as a self-promotion platform.

The main guy who runs it was asked to cover an event, but couldn't make it, so sent myself and the other person. I wrote the article and saved it, letting the other person add her thoughts. She just copied and pasted the article from our website (before it was published) and posted it on her personal blog. The article I wrote is still unfinished. She wasn't invited to cover the event, the website we collectively work for was, so this is a really selfish move. She was complaining that she "never gets invited to review things" then this happens and she exploits it. 

While we've occasionally questioned her logic, but this is the first big "problem" she's caused. We want to nip this in the bud, as I've seen journalists do similar things before, and it tends to create monsters. So… shall we just stop letting her attend events? Or do we try to actively push her away? (I.e. sack her). 

If it is the first real problem, then you may need the "warning" discussion to make clear the inappropriate behaviour anf that it cannot be tolerated in the future. Establish that it was inappropriate and disrespectful to her colleagues.. She may be offended. But you are already offended so you need to clear the air anyway.

I always hated discussions like these, but they are absolutely necessary at times and you do her a favour in the long run. Or it leads to her leaving one way or the other. Some people just don't fit well. It is not a right or wrong, just the way it is.

Good luck, GG.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Orsys said:

If it is the first real problem, then you may need the "warning" discussion to make clear the inappropriate behaviour anf that it cannot be tolerated in the future. Establish that it was inappropriate and disrespectful to her colleagues.. She may be offended. But you are already offended so you need to clear the air anyway.

I always hated discussions like these, but they are absolutely necessary at times and you do her a favour in the long run. Or it leads to her leaving one way or the other. Some people just don't fit well. It is not a right or wrong, just the way it is.

Good luck, GG.

Thank you Orsys (great to see you ;) ). I've since found out it's the second time she's done this. 

As you recommended, we've each told her how we think what she did was unprofessional, in the friendliest way possible, with lots of smiley emojis. We shall wait and see if it continues. She isn't a perfect fit, but she has some skills which the other guy and myself lack.

41 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

Thank you Orsys (great to see you ;) ). I've since found out it's the second time she's done this. 

As you recommended, we've each told her how we think what she did was unprofessional, in the friendliest way possible, with lots of smiley emojis. We shall wait and see if it continues. She isn't a perfect fit, but she has some skills which the other guy and myself lack.

Don't get too heavy on the smileys. A reprimand is a reprimand and should be understood as such.

I completely agree with @Orsys.

• Like 2

Thanks guys. She took the criticism well. She says that she just didn't know, a display of naivety from someone who is very confident and gung-ho about everything she does. Fair enough, we all have gaps in our knowledge. I think this was all handled well and nobody seems upset. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's can be tough firing people sometimes especially when working with friends (and family); but just be yourself and let them know 'it isn't working out' or that the company's heading in a new direction; Let them know you still love them, then give them a helpful reference so they'd find other work easier ;)

Edited by Snake-Pit

As someone that's lost a job before and got mad sandy in the vaginal region as a result,  I'd lay the situation out on the table.  Tell her your exact thoughts no matter how deep they are, both personal and professional.  She can only then conform to your established norms or rebel and proceed to be given the arse in a most fiery end.