Top 5 Gn'R live performances (1986-2016)

This is so hard to do, and I know it will change.

5) Sweet Child O' Mine - The Ritz 1988 - I never liked Axl's vocals for this song during the Illusions tour. And it's been a hit or miss song since then. Ritz 88 was a fantastic blend of great vocals and energy. Awesome.

4) Paradise City - Wembley Stadium Freddie Tribute 1992 -  This is the Illusion line up at it's finest in my opinion.

3) This I Love - Adelaide, Australia 2010 - I just recently rewatched this performance and WOW!

2) Welcome To The Jungle - MTV VMA 1988 - The energy is off the hook during this rendition.

1) Mr. Brownstone - Paris 1992 - I've always loved this show as a whole, but Brownstone is the highlight for me. Matt's hard hitting drumming, Slash's improv guitar intro, Godamn!

An othet nomination would be Knockin' On Heavens Door from Boston 2002.

I'd be hard-pressed to choose any performance outside of '87-'93 although there have been some amazing individual efforts by all the band members throughout the years.

It's surreal to think how great the band sounds now, how much better the band could sound, and how we may have been robbed of 10-15 years of iconic performances by one of the greatest rock n' roll bands ever

• Like 1

On August 15, 2016 at 3:33 PM, slash23579 said:

No particular order

Civil War - Paris '92

Knockin on Heavens Door - Rock am ring '06

Sweet Child O Mine - Ritz '88

Nightrain - Argentina '93

Used to Love Her - Fox Late Show '88

Was just going to say Civil War from Paris. They nailed it that night! That's one of best live GnR performances of any song ever. 

Edited by Trin9498

2 hours ago, Ritchie Blackmore said:

In no particular order:

Paradise City (Freddie Mercury Tribute 1992)

Coma (Chicago 1992)

Estranged (Tokyo 1992)

Nightrain (Argentina 1993)

Welcome To The Jungle (VMA 1988)

Great list!

It's all relative...because some of the best performances are great because of the energy level of the band/crowd.

But in terms of "studio version perfect" or sounding even better than the studio version....the late night show performances from 1988 are tough to top.

Edited by Kasanova King

• 2 weeks later...

I don't consider Tokyo 92 to be the best in anything. It was one of Axl's worst vocal performances of the UYI tour (right next to Indiana 91). Too much chainsaw, more often than not singing sharp/flat. Also I don't like Slashs tone on the UYI TOUR (not the album, the tour) bc too nasally compared to the album.