The Official SOCCER Thread 2016/2017

PappyTron

17 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

Good win against Crystal Palace today. About time we broke out of this rut we've been in :)

Did you say that you've been to see a game at the new stadium?

What's it like? A lot of fans on Talksport complaining about it. But that's football fans for you give them a free new stadium and all they do is moan.

1 minute ago, spunko12345 said:

Did you say that you've been to see a game at the new stadium?

What's it like? A lot of fans on Talksport complaining about it. But that's football fans for you give them a free new stadium and all they do is moan.

I was at the first match in the Olympic Stadium against Juventus, yeah. I mean, I thought it was great, but I also don't have a whole lot of other experiences to compare it to; the only other match I've ever been to was a Club America match in Estadio Azteca. I did have some small gripes over the new stadium - most notably the massive amount of people sitting for the whole match, and the fact that no alcohol was allowed into the actual stands, but all in all I had a great time. 

I'm gonna try and see another home game when I'm over in the UK in May. 

8 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

I was at the first match in the Olympic Stadium against Juventus, yeah. I mean, I thought it was great, but I also don't have a whole lot of other experiences to compare it to; the only other match I've ever been to was a Club America match in Estadio Azteca. I did have some small gripes over the new stadium - most notably the massive amount of people sitting for the whole match, and the fact that no alcohol was allowed into the actual stands, but all in all I had a great time. 

I'm gonna try and see another home game when I'm over in the UK in May. 

Spurs and Liverpool at home in May, both should be cracking games. 

27 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

Spurs and Liverpool at home in May, both should be cracking games. 

Wish I could do more matches while I'm over, but the timing doesn't really work. My first Maiden gig is in Newcastle on Sunday the 14th, so the home game for West Ham on the 13th is easy since I'll have to fly into London anyways. But there's Saturday and Sunday gigs the week after, so I can't manage there. The Liverpool gig is Saturday, if it were Sunday I'd be able to do that home game.

3 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

and the fact that no alcohol was allowed into the actual stands

St James didn't allow that when I went to an 2012 Olympics international. Wear a baggy zip up loose jacket - like a hoodie with a zip. They were zealously - like Nazis - stopping anyone from even watching through the corridors from the foyer, just people finishing their pint off! So I had two-three sips of my pint to stop it spilling and merely put it in my coat, holding it in my hand through my pocket.

1-0 Me vs System. 

• Like 2

People say this that and the other about Stevie Gerrard and I'm far from a fan of his obviously but i really respect the guy, proper one club man, stuck with his team through thick and thin and then gets a send off like that from some truly class support.  Respect.  

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

People say this that and the other about Stevie Gerrard and I'm far from a fan of his obviously but i really respect the guy, proper one club man, stuck with his team through thick and thin and then gets a send off like that from some truly class support.  Respect.  

Didn't hear that the Scouse gangsters were the cause of him withdrawing his request to join Chelsea then?

20 hours ago, Chris1989 said:

Didn't hear that the Scouse gangsters were the cause of him withdrawing his request to join Chelsea then?

That would be because it is untrue. Gerrard was being threatened in 2001 by a Liverpudlian gangster, but it had nothing to do with football, and everything to do with personal reasons involving Gerrard's former girlfriend. As for him almost joining Chelsea, that happened in 2004 and he freely admits that he was having problems with Rafa Benitez and wanted to join up with Jose Mourinho. Chelsea, as a club, had nothing to do with it; they were simply backing Mourinho with money and Gerrard felt that the combination of Mourinho + money was a better option than a Liverpool team that was not being backed by the owner and a manager that he didn't particularly get on with. As for him doing a U-Turn, it was nothing to do with gangsters, like I said, and was actually down to his father convincing him that staying at Liverpool and staying a local hero was better than joining up with Mourinho for massive money.

Edited by PappyTron