The Official SOCCER Thread 2016/2017

PappyTron

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

Wrong end of the Seven Sister Road innit?  We dont even hate them as such, we just think they're shite and a bit of a joke, they hate us, historically they're narked cuz we came to North London and took over and they've remained forever in our shadow.  That and us getting the good end of a deal with the splitting of certain divisions to where Norris sorted it so we went up.

Anyway, he didn't say 'BE MORE LIKE TOTTENHAM SUPPORTERS!'  What the boss said was:

He said: ‘Our fans have been consistent and have a high level of expectation as I do but I don’t feel you can be a fan until last Tuesday and then not be behind the team any more – it doesn’t make sense.

‘All the other clubs, Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool, they have big expectations and big history. We are in a fight and we have to be united or we have no chance.

‘You have Tottenham as well and everyone is behind their team and we have to do the same. Even if we have had two disappointed results I want the fans to be behind the team. Focus on what we do well. They were great players last Tuesday and they are still great players.’

Not really the same thing as 'be more like Tottenham supporters'...though admittedly that was cutting it a bit fine boss.  Very fine indeed.

Face it, he wants you to be a Lily White.

I always saw Spurs as London's Newcastle. Almost; near enough; so close; ...with world class players in certain eras; yet doomed to failure. Come to think of it, that is Arsenal's last decade!

30 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Face it, he wants you to be a Lily White.

I always saw Spurs as London's Newcastle. Almost; near enough; so close; ...with world class players in certain eras; yet doomed to failure. Come to think of it, that is Arsenal's last decade!

It's been more than a decade :lol:  I know, I've been paying close attention.

So what we going for tonight at the Allianz Arena? Are Arsenal gonna keep it respectable and in with a chance at the Emirates? Or they going to crumble? Ozil and Sanchez gonna turn up? So many questions, we will soon find out. Crossing my fingers for you Len.

On 2/15/2017 at 5:00 PM, BrayWyatt said:

Wenger just said that his side were mentally tired. If he cannot motivate his players for a champs league knockout tie, then it is time to retire.

What more motivation should you need to turn up and play, than the ridiculous amounts of money these guys get paid?

4 hours ago, moreblack said:

What more motivation should you need to turn up and play, than the ridiculous amounts of money these guys get paid?

Well they get that one way or the other, dont they and i think thats part of the problem.  I mean specifically towards Arsenal, a lot of them players are, to be quite frank, mollycoddled.  They ain't fuckin'...I think its a case of a team of prospects that have been brought up through the team with way too much respect through an era where the club couldnt spend and a consequence of that inability to spend was these playerses positions became unassailable when they were just fuckin' prospects and have, in a way, remained fuckin' prospects, they dont fight, or haven't learnt to fight, cuz they've never had nothing to fight for, they knew their position in the club was safe, I'm talking about people like Ramsey, Chamberlain, Wilshere, all these young prospects that are now in their mid 20s and haven't really come to fruition.  

And i think its a similar thing with the England national team too.  And I've come to conclude this season that the manager, with the greatest of respect, is part of that problem too.

They basically came to Bayern trying to play a Chelsea game and they aint Chelsea, they're all attacking type players, they dont have the size the strength or the inclination in their games to soak up pressure and then hit on the counter...and that part at least has to come down to the manager cuz thats fuckin' tactics.

• Like 1