Richard Fortus: I Identify A Lot With Izzy Personally And Musically

Richard Fortus of Guns N' Roses Talks Supro Black Magick and Supreme Amps | Reverb Interview

Published on Aug 5, 2016

Richard Fortus: I came into Guns N' Roses because some of my friends were in the band. Josh Freese was playing drums, Tommy Stinson was playing bass, Robin Finck. So it was like, yeah sign me up, let's do this. And it was great during that time to play with those guys and make Chinese Democracy. It was a fun experience because we were all such great friends.

I also identify a lot with Izzy, personally and musically. And what he does and where he came from. Again, there are a lot of similarities, you know. We actually, when we were together, played together we had a lot of fun playing old stones stuff, you know Aerosmith we came up with the same type of stuff. So I think I approach it in a similar way that he did. Were I tend to go for a lower gain type of sound, maybe a bit more vintagee, than Slash's high gain sound. And I think that's sort of where he just naturally went as well. So I think there are similarities in that...and we also have similar taste in guitars.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Funky.Monkey said:

. So I think I approach it in a similar way that he did. Were I tend to go for a lower gain type of sound, maybe a bit more vintagee, than Slash's high gain sound. And I think that's sort of where he just naturally went as well. So I think there are similarities in that...and we also have similar taste in guitars.

I just don't see it... They may have the same taste in music, look similar and have the same taste in guitars but low Gain?? Peoples biggest gripe is that his tone has too much gain. The tone of a lead player. I definitely don't think "Vintage" when I hear his tone either. Izzy had a dirty vintage sound.. Fortus is more of a slick sound.

• Like 3

I don't have a big problem with Fortus, he was the best one in Axl's solo band. 

Now when he is been hired by GNR, he should stop doing solos in RQ and KOHD. If they sounded good, I would have said it sounds good, but it doesn't.

I wish Izzy was there, I don't even know why some people compare Izzy with Fortus, like man Izzy is so much more talented. 

Another thing I don't like about Fortus is that when he doesn't knows shit, then he should stop saying it, like since the past 5 years he kept on saying "New music next year". He knows how Axl works so he could have just said He has no idea.

Then around 2 years ago he said he won't share the same stage with Slash, now when Axl is friends with Slash, so he is sharing the same stage with Slash? Fortus should grow some balls, at least Bumblefoot spoke his mind.

Izzy is a really cool dude and does whatever he wants, his music is great and not scared of anyone. 

Axl, Slash and Duff are the owners of this business venture called Guns N' Roses, my advice to them to make their company better would be fire Fortus and Frank and bring back Izzy and Steven to make it better. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, killuridols said:

If Izzy is not in Guns N' Roses is because he doesn't want to, not because of someone filling his spot.

Grow up bashers and leave this harmless guitarist alone.

Thank you.

28 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You don't know that. None of us know why Stradlin is not present.

Yes, we don't know exactly why but do you think there is a lot of room for conspiracy theories here?

Like someone not wanting him to be there? :confused:

Makes no sense, really... While I think he was not offered a permanent spot in the band (why would anyone offer you the same job you quit 25 years ago? :shrugs:) I think it's safe to think he was offered a guest spot, just like Adler, and he didn't take it, either because he did not like the conditions or because he just wasn't interested in a reunion tour.

In any case, it was his choice to not be there.

However, as the tour has not ended yet, we might see him as a guest in one or more of the upcoming shows.

I really don't think the doors are closed for Izzy in Guns N' Roses.

Maybe he just dislikes the whole touring thing and would prefer collaborating in the studio.

Only time will tell...

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

He should do the decent thing and quit, recommending Axl call up Stradlin.

And end the gravy train? That's why Fortus is a session hack and guys like Buckethead, Bumblefoot, Freese, Finck, etc are actual artists. No amount of money was worth being in a cover band.

Even DJ Ashba had the sense to step aside mercifully saving us from a bloated 3 guitarist band.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Yes, we don't know exactly why but do you think there is a lot of room for conspiracy theories here?

Makes no sense, really... While I think he was not offered a permanent spot in the band (why would anyone offer you the same job you quit 25 years ago? :shrugs:) I think it's safe to think he was offered a guest spot, just like Adler, and he didn't take it, either because he did not like the conditions or because he just wasn't interested in a reunion tour.

However, as the tour has not ended yet, we might see him as a guest in one or more of the upcoming shows.

Maybe he just dislikes the whole touring thing and would prefer collaborating in the studio.

Only time will tell...

We have so little information I couldn't speculate. He could have agreed to a few guest appearance which we will learn about when they occur. He could have been ostracised completely from proceedings for reasons which do not seem entirely clear. He could have been given an unfair 'hack' deal and consequentially refused on grounds of principal and/or money. He could have refused full stop, having been given a rather good deal akin to Slash and Duff. All four scenarios are possible.

22 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Only time will tell...

Like everything else in life, it's probably over money. My guess is, Izzy wants to be a full member and get his partnership position back now that the band has reformed again -- however, the others dont want to split the lucrative pie and share the giant sums of cash they're making (I see Slash and Axl being the primary culprits here). That and Axl's inexplicable loyalty to Fortus over his oldest friend.

If you wrote half the gnr catalogue, played on all the core albums and basically co-founded the band -- wouldn't you consider it a tad disrespectful when your friends want to demote you to a guest position in your own band while they enjoy your share of the profits? 

The sad thing is, Axl wanted to demote him even in 1991. Thats the whole reason Izzy left. Read his rolling stone interview. He asked Izzy to sign a contract that would cut his percentage in the band. Izzy did not want to leave the band -- he was forced out.

Until Axl does what's right, we don't get Izzy back. It's that simple.

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

We have so little information I couldn't speculate. He could have agreed to a few guest appearance which we will learn about when they occur. He could have been ostracised completely from proceedings for reasons which do not seem entirely clear. He could have been given an unfair 'hack' deal and consequentially refused on grounds of principal and/or money. He could have refused full stop, having been given a rather good deal akin to Slash and Duff. All four scenarios are possible.

Yup. And all four scenarios I think have the option for him to say yes or no.

He's not been in the band for over two decades. He quit. I really don't see how someone who quit an organization should dictate the future or the destiny of said organization.

It's like a couple starting a family, then getting a divorce and 25 years later, the husband or wife returns and tries to have it their way in the new household.

1 minute ago, RONIN said:

Like everything in life, it's probably over money.

If you wrote half the gnr catalogue, played on all the core albums and basically co-founded the band -- wouldn't you consider it a tad disrespectful when someone wants to demote you to a guest position in your own band while your friends enjoy your share of the profits? 

The sad thing is, Axl wanted to demote him even in 1991. Thats the whole reason Izzy left. Read his rolling stone interview. He asked Izzy to sign a contract that would cut his percentage in the band.

Izzy won't put up with Axl's bullshit and until Axl does what's right, we don't get Izzy back. It's that simple.

Is Guns N' Roses Izzy's band in the present? In 2016? My jaw would drop if I were to find a document that says anything remotely close to that.

I know how things went down in 1991 and I have also read Axl's version in his other Rolling Stone interview. But we are in 2016 now, I don't live in the past, 1991 is the past, twenty five years ago to be more precisely and lots of things happened and changed in the course of two decades.

I highly doubt Izzy ever wanted to go back to this band. He left and never gave signs of wanting back.

It is mostly the fantasy of clueless fans who just don't get it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Yup. And all four scenarios I think have the option for him to say yes or no.

He's not been in the band for over two decades. He quit. I really don't see how someone who quit an organization should dictate the future or the destiny of said organization.

It's like a couple starting a family, then getting a divorce and 25 years later, the husband or wife returns and tries to have it their way in the new household.

Slash and Duff quit also.

• Like 1