Buffalo Springfield

DieselDaisy

4 minutes ago, dalsh327 said:

There's also the box set (which is a decent 20 bucks), what's on Neil Young's Archives I box set and Stephen Stills' compilation & his "Just Roll Tape" which were a lot of demos at the end of Buffalo Springfield. 

The third album is like listening to Page era Yardbirds for future Led Zep songs. 

"Down to the Wire'' also, which is on Neil's Decade.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

Gave em a listen...bit fuckin pants to be honest, first reccomendation of yours thats been a let down.

I'm surprised as they broadly fit into those great Beatlesesque bands which proliferated on both sides of the Atlantic during that period, all jangly rhythms and harmonious singing - albeit with their own distinctive style which seems to lean more heavily on folk-country. You probably just cannot get over the fact that Stills wrote the first bona fide 'hippy anthem', ''For What It's Worth''; this was as early as late '66, incidentally about the Sunset Strip curfew riots of that year, so very early indeed.

You also liked the Massey Hall '71 live album and Neil plays two Springfield songs there, ''I Am A Child'' and ''On The Way Home'' - both sublime.

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

I'm surprised as they broadly fit into those great Beatlesesque bands which proliferated on both sides of the Atlantic during that period, all jangly rhythms and harmonious singing - albeit with their own distinctive style which seems to lean more heavily on folk-country. You probably just cannot get over the fact that Stills wrote the first bona fide 'hippy anthem', ''For What It's Worth''; this was as early as late '66, incidentally about the Sunset Strip curfew riots of that year, so very early indeed.

You also liked the Massey Hall '71 live album and Neil plays two Springfield songs there, ''I Am A Child'' and ''On The Way Home'' - both sublime.

Massey Hall sounded great because I've always loved that one man and his guitar set up, the accoustics in there must be great also cuz he sounds different than anything else I've heard him on.

5 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

Massey Hall sounded great because I've always loved that one man and his guitar set up, the accoustics in there must be great also cuz he sounds different than anything else I've heard him on.

''I Am A Child'' is basically the same only stripped. Indeed, it was basically a solo song anyhow, cobbled together for the third Springfield album, as the band were folding and the various members were doping their songs individually (like a white album thingy). ''On the Way Home'' is very interesting as it is sung by Furay in the Springfield; it becomes a completely different song when Neil sings it.