Buffalo Springfield

DieselDaisy

Greatest band of the sixties in my opinion. A kaleidoscope of 'British invasion' beat, rock n' roll, jangly folk and country rock and psychedelia-jam. You had three Canucks and two Americans. Stills had the towering ego, beach blond good looks and gravely rhythm n blues voice - an excellent songwriter and lead guitarist. Neil was this shy kid with weird brilliant songs and an even weirder voice who kept having epileptic fits on stage. Furay had this brilliant country voice, and turned into a fine songwriter also. Then you had the rhythm section of Bruce Palmer and Dewey Martin.

One of my favourite albums of all time - make sure you get the mono version,

Buffalo_Springfield_-_Buffalo_Springfiel

This is excellent also,

BuffaloSpringfieldBuffaloSpringfieldAgai

Cobbled together after their demise, but some good stuff on it,

Buffalo_Springfield_-_Last_Time_Around.j

5 minutes ago, classicrawker said:

I am familiar with their material mate and I am a fan but I just think it is a bit of stretch to call them greatest band of the 60's considering their competition in that decade

Second best then after Hendrix Experience. I only like The Stones from 1969. People who saw the Springfield live said they were literally the greatest live act ever; they blew everyone else off stage. You can detect some of this in the bootlegs.

Edited by DieselDaisy

47 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Second best then after Hendrix Experience. I only like The Stones from 1969. People who saw the Springfield live said they were literally the greatest live act ever; they blew everyone else off stage. You can detect some of this in the bootlegs.

Fair enough you are entitled to your opinion but I think most would disagree with your assessment of even being second best if you consider their music catalog.................

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

You only like The Stones after 69?  Are we telling porkies here young man? :lol:  Better than The Beatles, better than The Who?  

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

You only like The Stones after 69?  Are we telling porkies here young man? :lol:  Better than The Beatles, better than The Who?  

The Mick Taylor era is when I love The Stones. This has never exactly been a secret on here - I used to have the Goats Head Soup album cover as my picture and have conversed a lot about bootlegs of that era on a separate thread. Yes I like The Who and Beatles but I'm not crackers on the two as you are. Mods! Wooftas in those suits also (I'm only winding you up). I'd probably take Harrison solo before The Beatles infact.

What is so shocking about loving the Springfield? You know I'm a hardcore Rusty so it is going to be inevitable, like a John Lennon fan rather liking a certain group of his called The Beatles! Songs like Clancy, Mr Soul, Expecting to Fly, Kind Woman, Hot Dusty Roads, are some of the greatest songs of the sixties. Listen to them instead of farting around with horrendous punk bands and Mancunians, and you might see my point.

9 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

The Mick Taylor era is when I love The Stones. This has never exactly been a secret on here - I used to have the Goats Head Soup album cover as my picture and have conversed a lot about bootlegs of that era on a separate thread. Yes I like The Who and Beatles but I'm not crackers on the two as you are. Mods! Wooftas in those suits also (I'm only winding you up). I'd probably take Harrison solo before The Beatles infact.

What is so shocking about loving the Springfield? You know I'm a hardcore Rusty so it is going to be inevitable, like a John Lennon fan rather liking a certain group of his called The Beatles! Songs like Clancy, Mr Soul, Expecting to Fly, Kind Woman, Hot Dusty Roads, are some of the greatest songs of the sixties. Listen to them instead of farting around with horrendous punk bands and Mancunians, and you might see my point.

Theres a difference between having a favorite Stones era and only liking them after 69' though.

3 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

Because you're making a statement there that I'm almost certain is untrue :lol:

Yknow what, after your high praise I'm gonna give em a listen.

Victory! (it takes you normally two hundred years to listen to things.)

Try the aforementioned ''Mr Soul/For What It's Worth'', ''Kind Woman'', and,

Crosby, Stills, Nash

Now that is a hippy band,

Almost cut my hair, it happened just the other day.

It's getting' kinda long, I coulda said it wasn't in my way.
But I didn't and I wonder why, I feel like letting my freak flag fly,
Cause I feel like I owe it to someone.

Must be because I had the flu' for Christmas and I'm not feeling up to par.
It increases my paranoia, like looking at my mirror and seeing a police car.
But I'm not giving in an inch to fear cause I missed myself this year.
I feel like I owe it to someone.

When I finally get myself together, I'm going to get down in that sunny southern weather.
And I find a place inside to laugh, separate the wheat from the chaff.
I feel like I owe it to someone.

Edited by DieselDaisy

There's also the box set (which is a decent 20 bucks), what's on Neil Young's Archives I box set and Stephen Stills' compilation & his "Just Roll Tape" which were a lot of demos at the end of Buffalo Springfield. 

The third album is like listening to Page era Yardbirds for future Led Zep songs.