[Billboard] Tommy Stinson talks new Bash & Pop music, Axl Rose & AC/DC

1 hour ago, Silent Jay said:

Bash & Pop:

Stinson has regrouped Bash & Pop, the band he formed in 1992 after the Replacements broke up and led until 1994, releasing one album. A new Bash & Pop record is in the can and due in January, with plans to play some shows later this year as well as next. "It's a band kind of record; that's why I decided to call it Bash & Pop," Stinson, who recorded the yet-untitled 12-song set at his home studio in Hudson, N.Y., tells Billboard. "We recorded everything as live as I could. I was missing that vibe with my last couple of solo records, so I really tried to hunker down and capture a moment, and I realized I was doing it with a really good band. So rather than call it Tommy Stinson, why not call it Bash & Pop?"

GN'R:

Stinson has also been keeping tabs on his most recent former band and is enjoying the success of the Guns N' Roses reunion. He bears no ill will toward GN'R's reunion with founding members Slash and Duff McKagan; McKagan, in fact, subbed for Stinson during 2014 when the Replacements reunion schedule conflicted with GN'R shows in South America. "It was a really good run for me with them and I've seen two of those shows since and saw everyone and made peace with it," Stinson says. "It's part of my life that is over, and I couldn't be more thankful for it. It was a great run. I made money and they kept me out there doing stuff. A lot of my friends are still in that band, and I'm glad for them."

On Axl Rose:

Stinson is particularly happy for frontman Axl Rose, whom he feels is benefiting greatly from both the GN'R reunion and his recent stint with AC/DC. "I think it was really super important for Axl to get the [GN'R reunion] going on and put some stuff behind him that I think has been sitting inside him," Stinson says. "I think something has happened to him and it's completely f---ing awesome and it makes me really happy. I've known the guy for almost 20 years now; I've never seen him look better. He sounds better than ever. He's a completely different guy. I couldn't be happier for him."

AC/DC:

So with AC/DC bassist Cliff Williams planning to retire after the group's current Rock or Bust Tour, maybe Rose and Stinson could work together again, if the singer continues with that band too. 
"How f---in' fun would that be?!" Stinson says with a laugh. "I can't even imagine that. That would be pretty f---in' funny if he called me up and asked me to check it out. It'd be funny as sh-- to go out and tour wtih Axl without all the baggage that was part of Guns N' Roses, y'know?"

The Replacements:

The Replacements, meanwhile, remains done for good after co-founder Paul Westerberg pronounced the June 5, 2015, show in Portugal the group's last one ever. "Y'know, we did our thing," Stinson says. "We got up there and made a lot of people happy, and it was fun. I think we overstayed our welcome a little bit, possibly, considering we weren't making a record or anything like that. Without new music, I don't think you want to drag something like that out too long. I know for me, personally, I get bored playing the same stuff all the time. There's got to be an artistic change for me, so I'm just looking forward to what I'm doing now, and in the future."

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/7476230/tommy-stinson-bash-pop-guns-n-roses-replacements?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Stinson is on point on Axl. That almost deserves a thread of it's own, Axl is a changed man. SOMETHING has happened to him in either 2014 or 2015. What that was? It was big enough to have him pick up the phone and call Slash. I hope what it was wont forever remain a mystery. But my money is that Duff had to do with it

Thread needs more Bash N Pop :headbang:

Looking forward to any record featuring Tommys tunes. Whether it's a solo record, Bash N Pop, Perfect or the Mats, I'm buying. Chi Dem is unfortunately the worst album in Tommys discography in my opinion, and I enjoy most of Chi Dem.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Stinson is on point on Axl. That almost deserves a thread of it's own, Axl is a changed man. SOMETHING has happened to him in either 2014 or 2015. What that was? It was big enough to have him pick up the phone and call Slash. I hope what it was wont forever remain a mystery. But my money is that Duff had to do with it

There is one:

And about Duff's role:

• Like 2

He didn't exactly regroup Bash & Pop, that's not accurate.  It's a different band that he decided to call that.  Looking forward to it though. The stuff he put out last year was really good and that was from the same sessions.   Frank is on the record and he obviously won't be available to tour, I wonder if the rest of the lineup will be the same.  

I like his comments about Axl overall, but he kind of contradicts himself by saying The Replacements overstayed their welcome, should've released new music and that he doesn't like playing the same shit over and over again! Uh..

Also, the comment about "all the baggage" of GN'R versus potentially playing bass for AC/DC, well Tommy rest assured you'll take on a whole lotta baggage you wouldn't wanna carry if by some fairytale you got that gig. Did you not see how mad the DC fans got at Axl's appointment?!

The Replacements is a whole different situation for Tommy. He was one of the founders and one of only two original members to take part in the reunion. So it's much more 'his' band than Guns could ever be and he has more of a personal stake in it. When he talks about overstaying their welcome and doing old music he's sort of obliquely referring to conflicts with Paul Westerberg.

They actually did make a stab at recording but it didn't work out. I think what happened was that Tommy wanted to contribute songs and Paul was uncomfortable with the idea of not being the main/only songwriter like he'd always been.  And while Tommy might be able to look at Guns as just a really good gig where someone else is in charge, in The Replacements he couldn't accept being 'just' the bass player.

On 8/18/2016 at 7:40 PM, StrangerInThisTown said:

no one knows but i swear i just cant get my head around anything else so drastic other than he was sick for a time...the loss of vocal ability, no power, the weight gain and looking ROUGH.  one thing we know is the guy never talks, so if he WAS actually sick that would never leave the vault either

On 18.8.2016 at 3:23 AM, Silent Jay said:

On Axl Rose:

Stinson is particularly happy for frontman Axl Rose, whom he feels is benefiting greatly from both the GN'R reunion and his recent stint with AC/DC. "I think it was really super important for Axl to get the [GN'R reunion] going on and put some stuff behind him that I think has been sitting inside him," Stinson says. "I think something has happened to him and it's completely f---ing awesome and it makes me really happy. I've known the guy for almost 20 years now; I've never seen him look better. He sounds better than ever. He's a completely different guy. I couldn't be happier for him."

AC/DC:

So with AC/DC bassist Cliff Williams planning to retire after the group's current Rock or Bust Tour, maybe Rose and Stinson could work together again, if the singer continues with that band too. 
"How f---in' fun would that be?!" Stinson says with a laugh. "I can't even imagine that. That would be pretty f---in' funny if he called me up and asked me to check it out. It'd be funny as sh-- to go out and tour wtih Axl without all the baggage that was part of Guns N' Roses, y'know?"

Regarding GnR:

To me, it's sounds a lot like: well, we actually all  saw that Axl could do better and wasn't happy with a lot of us. We knew that Axl would sound better with Slash and Duff, but hey...he paid me well, so I shut my mouth and worked 20 years for Mr. Rose.

Regarding AC/DC:

Sure, Tommy. You will join AC/DC in the future. You just have to rim job Axl a bit deeper this time!

Edited by maxpax

45 minutes ago, maxpax said:

Regarding GnR:

To me, it's sounds a lot like: well, we actually all  saw that Axl could do better and wasn't happy with a lot of us. We knew that Axl would sound better with Slash and Duff, but hey...he paid me well, so I shut my mouth and worked 20 years for Mr. Rose.

Regarding AC/DC:

Sure, Tommy. You will join AC/DC in the future. You just have to rim job Axl a bit deeper this time!

what!? ... i get how people don't like Nu-GnR....

Tommy Stinson is a grown ass man who has played with maaaaany many other musicians throughout his entire life, and you interpret these comments as him dissing Axl passive aggressively? Like whaaaat? Music is a business and Axl was his co-worker. He is figuratively a hired-hand to these GnR fans who love weaving narratives, but in the end, he is just an average guy (who sees no spectacle or illusion of a spectacle with the music business like us fans do) and a longtime co-worker and collaborator with Axl, and just spoke what was on his mind. He's a bass player saying his former singer is kicking ass! that simple!

I'm curious to hear what you think Tommys answer should have been re: AC/DC? It's one of the biggest and most important rock bands to ever play, of course he'd say it would be fun, so would every single current and existing member of guns, how is that rimjobbing axl?