Metallica's new album "Hardwired...To Self-Destruct"

NachoLZ

2 hours ago, Towelie said:

It's alright. Metallica were never the most versatile band, they deliver what they know and what they're good at. I'll check out the album.

Versatile? Isn't this the band who pissed off the majority of their fanbase through genre-hopping?

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

ys the band who pissed off the majority of their fanbase through genre-hopping?

Just because a bunch of greasy haired mullet-sporting wankers got their knickers in a twist about Metallica using an acoustIc guitar on Fade To Black, it says more about the demographic that listens to the band than it does about Metallica's versitality.

Edited by Towelie

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

Just because a bunch of greasy haired mullet-sporting wankers got their knickers in a twist about Metallica using an acoustIc guitar on Fade To Black, it says more about the demographic that listens to the band than it does about Metallica's versitality.

The original thrash stuff was developed by combining speed punk, NWOBHM rock (e.g. Diamond Head, Maiden and Motörhead) with classical music. They, as you alluded to, then branched out into ballads with songs like ''Fade to Black''. The Black album moved into mid-tempo, more mainstream, heavy metal. The two Loads have experiments in blues based hard rock; country (''Mama Said''); folk (''Low Man's Lyric''); psychedelia (''The Outlaw Torn'', ''Fixer''). They also did an odd experimental album with Lou Reed - it stunk to high heaven but that does not rob the album of its versatility.

I would say that Metallica are fairly versatile.

• Like 1

my exact thoughts listening to the single:

"getting ready for a disapointment"

"hey, those drums and guitar actually sound crunchy, but i feel i've heard this before"

"oh no, james sounds even worse than on death magnetic. I expected it to be bad, but not this bad. like someone is crushing his balls"

"song is dragging along, nothing surprising here. i want it to end already"

"well, that was a disapointment. it sounds less all over the place than anything on DM, but I'm not buying."

Edited by action

15 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Hard wired to self destruct? Why are they so angry? How about a bit of retail therapy,

main-met-300.jpg

what man wouldnt be angry, going shopping with his wife though. at least, i hope that's what they are doing! they aren't shopping alone are they? tell me they are not shopping alone!

scared-cat.jpg

• Like 1

The solo is more than a bit rubbish (is that seriously the best he has to offer on the lead single!!!), some bad lyrics too but overall a good, not great song 6/10.

Much better than the new Guns song.... oh wait! 8 years and counting! :facepalm: 

• Like 1

On Friday, August 19, 2016 at 7:42 PM, AxlisOld said:

Kind of feels like a Megadeth B side or throwaway that Metallica is covering.

That being said, I'll take it. See what the album has to offer.

Feel the same.I'll buy the album first day it comes out.After Load I haven't really cared for much of their music with exception of a song or 2 off each album.St Anger was awful and DM wasn't much better but holding out hope that the album will have good tunes.Hoping they do a big arena tour.Missed them last time they were in town.They used to be my favorite live band ,it's been way too long since I last seen them

On 8/18/2016 at 10:33 PM, Black Sabbath said:

Artwork is terrible and the "We're so fucked; Shit outta luck." line is cheesy, but it's a short, balls to the wall song. I like it a lot. Miles better than whatever Lords of Summer was.

Musically, yes. I started out liking it. But the solo is piss-poor and the whole drum and riff got annoying at around 2 minutes. The lyrics are absolutely terrible. Uninspired and trying to channel some leftover teenage angst from the 80's. Bluh! 

Edited by username

Well if the album itself is 80 minutes long over 12 tracks, and this intro title track is 3 minutes, it means the average track time for what's left is about 7 minutes 

That's a lot more vintage Metallica, but those track titles aren't making me feel comfortable

ManUNkind :facepalm:

• Like 3

On 8/20/2016 at 11:34 AM, username said:

Musically, yes. I started out liking it. But the solo is piss-poor and the whole drum and riff got annoying at around 2 minutes. The lyrics are absolutely terrible. Uninspired and trying to channel some leftover teenage angst from the 80's. Bluh! 

i like the intro and the riff, but the vocals/lyrics and just awful solo ruined the song. it sounded like a weaker my apocalypse. hopefully the album(s) gets better

Edited by bran
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, bran said:

i like the intro and the riff, but the vocals/lyrics and just awful solo ruined the song. it sounded like a weaker my apocalypse. hopefully the album(s) gets better

What worries me is that it's the opening and title track...

• Like 1

On 27/08/2016 at 11:59 AM, Majestic Beast said:

They never will play real thrash again,end of story.Death magnetic 2,nothing more,nothing less.

Is that not thrash, the new song ''Hardwired''?

It is 'crap' thrash but still thrash regardless.

''Judas Kiss'', ''All Nightmare Long'' and ''My Apocalypse'' were thrash also.