Metallica's new album "Hardwired...To Self-Destruct"

NachoLZ

http://www.metalsucks.net/2016/08/30/metallica-jason-newsted-may-collaborate-new-project/

Jason Newsted has hinted that he may collaborate with his former bandmates in Metallica on a new mystery project.

During a recent interview with Eddie Trunk, Newsted praised the band’s new single, “Hardwired,” and then dropped this little bomb:

“I’ve got a call with Lars coming up on Thursday here. I’ve been talking to him every couple of weeks.”
When Trunk asked Newsted if the call’s purpose was related to business, friendship, or a collaboration of some sort, Newsted replied,  “All those three.”

Needless to say, Newsted declined to elaborate. But with his recent declaration that he’s done making metal as a result of not being able to play “heavier and faster” than he once could, we have to assume that whatever the Newsted/Metallica project is, it will be on the more mellow side. Hey, as long it’s better than Lulu, it can be a hip-hop record for all I care.

Newsted left Metallica in 2001, after James Hetfield allegedly threatened to fire him if he pursued his then-side project, Echobrain. He and the other members of the band have since kissed and made up: Newsted appeared with the, at both their Rock N’ Roll Hall of Fame induction (above) and thirtieth anniversary celebration.

More details on this new team-up if/when we ever get ’em.

• 2 weeks later...

Its bad. But its not like Metallica is well renowed for being good or popular in 2016.

I don't like the title. It seems like it is going to invite a lot of "Metallica is self destructing" jokes.

The artwork is abysmal. Why the white background? Who did they pay for that and can they get a refund?

I don't see how this sounds like old Metallica. It's a three minute throw away track with aimless guitar music and Hetfields famously ridiculous vocals. Old Metallica were able to at least put out coherent music with an artistic vision (even if you never cared for that artistic vision, it was still present).

When I listen to this track, I feel as though it lacks effort, it lacks emotion, it has no direction, and it doesn't make me feel anything.

It just doesn't seem like Metallica had anything interesting to share with us.

No matter what kind of music you make, you gotta at least make it an expression.

Otherwise you're just making guitar noises, and anyone who practices can make guitar noises. Artists make expressions.

Reminds me a bit of Muse. The people who liked their new album are people who just like Muse. Not people who are getting anything out of their music, or who have the brain power to understand that titling your album "Drones" in 2016 and not at least trying to lay out some thoughtful political concept is fucking stupid, and a wasted opportunity. ANOHNI's song "Drone Bomb Me" has more emotion and thought than that whole album.

I don't identify with Metallica, but I recognize that their first four albums did feel like an honest attempt to CREATE something that people could identify with.

Does any of this feel like an honest attempt to create something? Or just some people doing their job?

Edited by Dan H.
  • Like 2

I wi ll say that I
didnt care for Death Magnetic, mostly because of the production, but that album at least made sense, it actually felt as though it was inspired from the same place as older Metallica tracks, but suffers from some bad experimentation with the production.

I can give that album a nod for fitting fairly well into Metallica's schtick, while also attempting to do some interesting things with the production. It felt like a real attempt, ya know?

That album has a unique identity. The songs sound like they belong together and keeps up well with their fast paced doom and gloom style, even if it isn't a solid 10/10 like we all wish it was.

Part of my issue with older bands is that they seem to devolve into this kind of "okay we are known for making music so we have to go make new instrument noises for the fans".

I feel a great sickness coming over me in saying this, but at least with Chinese Democracy I get the picture that it is Axl being honest and trying to create something. I think it turned out poorly, because he didn't have diverse oversight, or people who help him craft his raw emotions into a message with a point. Not to mention how sensitive he is at self evaluation. He could tap into his obvious emotional immaturity, and make it bang.

often when I listen to songs, I like to wonder "where did this come from?" And usually I can find at least a simple answer.

I'm lost with this new Metallica though. It doesn't feel like anything. If a picture can say 1000 words as the old cliche goes, then a song can say 10,000. This doesn't say anything except "we are physically and mentally capable of doing the bare minimum of making melodic noises

Edited by Dan H.
  • Like 1

Death Magnetic was heavily inspired from And Justice For All, like they made a direct sequel to that album in more ways than one

This is supposed to be a thrash throwback release, but I need to hear at least one more track from it before I can make any real judgement on what to expect out of this new album

• Like 1

Disc 3 of the deluxe edition has been scrapped (a disc full of demo'd riffs), and replaced with something different

Disc Three (Bonus)

Lords of Summer (2016)
Ronnie Rising Medley
When a Blind Man Cries
Remember Tomorrow
Helpless (Live at Rasputin Music)
Hit the Lights (Live at Rasputin Music)
The Four Horsemen (Live at Rasputin Music)
Ride the Lightning (Live at Rasputin Music)
Fade to Black (Live at Rasputin Music)
Jump in the Fire (Live at Rasputin Music)
For Whom the Bell Tolls (Live at Rasputin Music)
Creeping Death (Live at Rasputin Music)
Metal Militia (Live at Rasputin Music)
Hardwired (Live in Minneapolis)

ride the lightning and puppets are two stone cold classics. after that, it went from bad to worse. had a lot to do with cliff's death, he was the heart and soul of old metallica. he had the musical vision.

justice and metallica are not too bad, but from load onwards, i cant take these guys serious.

st anger seemed like a bad joke, only...they were serious. i gave that album away for free at a local landfill worker.

Track lengths:

CD 1:
1 . Hardwired 03:09
2 . Atlas, Rise! 06:28
3 . Now That We're Dead 06:59
4 . Moth Into Flame 05:50
5 . Dream No More 06:29
6 . Halo On Fire 08:15

CD 2:
1 . Confusion 06:43
2 . ManUNkind 06:55
3 . Here Comes Revenge 07:17