GNR refuse to bargain with Todd Philips on War Dogs soundtrack

Not sure if this is being talked about already, but it looks like Todd Philips asked to use Paradise City for one of the scenes in War Dogs, and GNR refused to budge on their set price for that sort of thing:

http://www.musictimes.com/articles/72596/20160819/guns-n-roses-refused-bargain-todd-phillips-war-dogs-soundtrack.htm

while i feel like this is nothing new, i thought jt would be interesting to discuss! 

Edited by KeyserSoze

On 8/19/2016 at 3:08 PM, Slash787 said:

I did read this sometime ago, any idea how much the band charges for their song to be used? 

PC was used through out the trailer of Resident Evil and Patience was used in that Zombie movie. 

Yeah I wonder how a low budget, cheesy (but fun) Resident Evil movie can afford the same song

On August 20, 2016 at 9:28 PM, Harlum Shake said:

This is ironic considering Jonah Hill (who stars in the film)'s father used to be the band's accountant in the 80's..

They just talked to Jonah about that on Stern yesterday. They asked him if his dad was responsible for getting the guys back together and Jonah said "yea he called Axl and said 'hey I know we haven't spoken in 20 years but I think you guys should get back together, do it for the music Axl!' Then he said no that wasn't the case at all, his dad does his finances now." But Howard kept asking him how it was growing up with his dad working for gnr, and Jonah told him it wasn't like that at all, Axl didn't want to hang out with his accountant and his 8 year old son haha" 

as far as the money thing goes on rights to songs I don't think it's a big deal. We've seen their songs creep up more and more recently. The Big Short, Resident Evil, and a couple others I believe so if movie studios are paying then the price must be ok

2 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

They just talked to Jonah about that on Stern yesterday. They asked him if his dad was responsible for getting the guys back together and Jonah said "yea he called Axl and said 'hey I know we haven't spoken in 20 years but I think you guys should get back together, do it for the music Axl!' Then he said no that wasn't the case at all, his dad does his finances now." But Howard kept asking him how it was growing up with his dad working for gnr, and Jonah told him it wasn't like that at all, Axl didn't want to hang out with his accountant and his 8 year old son haha" 

as far as the money thing goes on rights to songs I don't think it's a big deal. We've seen their songs creep up more and more recently. The Big Short, Resident Evil, and a couple others I believe so if movie studios are paying then the price must be ok

I loved The Big Short but two things bothered me about the GN'R part of that movie:

1. They put Sweet Child right in the middle of a scene with some important dialogue and the song distracts from it, haha.
  2. They misspelled "McKagan" as "McKagen" and then they misspelled "Stradlin" as "Stradin" in the end credits. How the hell does that happen on a big project like that? But what the hell, at least it's only Izzy's stage name. Poor Duff! I guess he will have to wipe his tears with the royalty check. 

sgCwVt0.png

Edited by GNRfan2008

13 hours ago, GNRfan2008 said:

I loved The Big Short but two things bothered me about the GN'R part of that movie:

1. They put Sweet Child right in the middle of a scene with some important dialogue and the song distracts from it, haha.
  2. They misspelled "McKagan" as "McKagen" and then they misspelled "Stradlin" as "Stradin" in the end credits. How the hell does that happen on a big project like that? But what the hell, at least it's only Izzy's stage name. Poor Duff! I guess he will have to wipe his tears with the royalty check. 

sgCwVt0.png

Alhabetical order I see