What Are They Playing?

I have an honest question for you real musicians out there. 

What kind of texture are Mr Reed and Melissa laying down in the background for some of these songs that don't require keyboards?  What are they adding to Outtagetme me, for example? I've seen several rock bands use keyboard players on tour  for a few songs and the keyboardists don't stay on stage the whole time pretending to play like it seems that these two do.  

I don't quite understand  it   

• Like 4

Well Mr. Reed plays the BONGOS! 

I really don't know what Melissa does on all the songs, she is just standing and moving her body. 

AFD songs don't even need them, she does nothing on the CD songs too apart from backing vocals. I don't see any use of her. 

She does the orchestral parts / synths parts and triggers the samples on November Rain, Civil War, Chinese Democracy, Better, Estranged, TWAT, Paradise City...

Not really sure what she does on the rockers however but I like her voice.

That being said, people complaining that GnR is not a straight rock n' roll band in 2016 are trying a bit too hard at this point...

• Like 2

Actually there already thread about what Dizzy does.

Basically just listen on Gibbos YouTube channel "Axl in ear monitor". Dizzy is freakin loud on that's.

Almost every Rock band had keyboard player, most just too pussy to show them on stage, thinking their imaginary reputation would be ruined/watered so they just hide it backstage.

http://www.laweekly.com/music/inside-the-strange-hidden-world-of-offstage-touring-musicians-6539027

GNR just take another level by not only put one, but two onstage.

• Like 3

From what I hear Melissa only sings background vocals on the rockers.

3 hours ago, Gem Archer said:

since the illusions tour they always had 2 keyboards players....they add sub lows, programming, synths, etc...

i hope that mellisa knows how to play the harmonica so we can hear bad obsession again :lol:

Axls mother died since then and it apparently hit him hard in 1996..not sure he can or wants to sing that certain lyric in the song anymore. But would love to see the song again

8 hours ago, Slash787 said:

Well Mr. Reed plays the BONGOS! 

I really don't know what Melissa does on all the songs, she is just standing and moving her body. 

AFD songs don't even need them, she does nothing on the CD songs too apart from backing vocals. I don't see any use of her. 

Melissa is so distracting with her jumping around like a tween at a slumber party.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mararoyce said:

Melissa is so distracting with her jumping around like a tween at a slumber party.

She is certainly annoying as hell 

On 8/20/2016 at 0:49 PM, Eddie Money said:

What are they adding to Outtagetme me, for example?

Don't know about Dizzy but she provides annoying background vocals on Out Ta Get Me.. She is so not needed anywhere near that song

• Like 1

On 20/8/2016 at 2:52 PM, t-p-d-a said:

Sub bass, programming & synthesizers

at 2:12 you can hear Chris Pitman's keyboard

Thanks for the vid. Look at Pitman´s keyboard haha. I´ve always  wonder: Can he play properly with something like that?! (so moving). :facepalm:

22 hours ago, Mararoyce said:

I personally don´t get all the complains here about her movements with the hair for example. I guess she feels the music.

The band hided her all the concert back of the stage, Melissa -along with Dizzy- are not movible on stage.

They are good musicians (in my opinion) and add a lot of things that other members mentioned here . I would ask to the OP : Do you think that Axl would have hired if they were useless?  I don´t think so.

:hahafyou:

Edited by Juliette

26 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

He has in the past:

:lol:

I still can't believe they continued to play their (arguably) biggest song ever after it was clear that Ashba's guitar was completely out of tune.  They could have stopped it after the first few notes and swapped it out for any other backup guitar and it would have sounded better than that.  Single worst live performance of SCOM that I've ever heard.

56 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

He has in the past:

:lol:

That band was so bad back then.. I remember seeing that performance and feeling embarrassed for Duff being part of it.  There really wasn't one good thing about it and that includes Axl. Crazy how much things changed when you bring Slash back into the mix.

1 hour ago, Kasanova King said:

I still can't believe they continued to play their (arguably) biggest song ever after it was clear that Ashba's guitar was completely out of tune.  They could have stopped it after the first few notes and swapped it out for any other backup guitar and it would have sounded better than that.  Single worst live performance of SCOM that I've ever heard.

I think you are overreacting. It was just a few seconds with a guitar out of tune, nothing more. This things could happen in a live concert (It was tech´s fault , I guess)

At half of a minute of the vid Ashba changed the guitar; then improved considerable the sound.

Asha is not my favorite guitar player (and I don´t like his style) but the guy is not that bad. 

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

That band was so bad back then.. I remember seeing that performance and feeling embarrassed for Duff being part of it.  There really wasn't one good thing about it and that includes Axl. Crazy how much things changed when you bring Slash back into the mix.

Axl looked tired here, without energy but this is only one event. The band was incredible good in 2006 and 2010 (for example).

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

I remember in 2013 and 2014 everyone was saying how Axl had lost it for good, and now he has consistently brought the goods all year.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Juliette said:

I think you are overreacting. It was just a few seconds with a guitar out of tune, nothing more. This things could happen in a live concert (It was tech´s fault , I guess)

At half of a minute of the vid Ashba changed the guitar; then improved considerable the sound.

Asha is not my favorite guitar player (and I don´t like his style) but the guy is not that bad. 

Uhm, no, definitely not over reacting.  I rarely criticize the band around here but they absolutely butchered the song that night mostly due to Ashba's guitar playing.  Also, he didn't sound better 30 seconds into the song, not even close.....you could clearly hear him being off well into halfway through the song...not to mention that you don't even hear him playing through major parts of it when you are supposed to hear the lead riff behind Axl's vocals.

Single worst live performance of SCOM I've heard them play.  If you can find a worse one out there, please, enlighten me. lol.

Edited by Kasanova King