Has the "Not in This Lifetime" Tour Met Your Expectations?

Has The Not in This Lifetime Tour Met, Exceeded or not met your expectations?   

252 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It has exceeded mine. To me, the coolest thing has been that literally (I think) every member of this forum that attended a show could only say how fuckin great it was. Every single show. As well as the periscopers saying "best show so far!" Also almost every single night. 

It was a tour that will always be remembered by what- a million fans in America?

Oh- and thank you Guns n Roses!!!

Edited by Fitha_whiskey
  • Like 1

Was the best concert I've ever seen!

My brother and I were amazed how great Axl sounded. It was like he got that old magic back again.

I watched the GNR show in Vegas a week after my Arlington show and I now noticed how different Axl sounded with that GNR band. I guess so many of you were right to think Axl would sound like the old Axl once he got back with Slash and Duff!

I've seen Axl with the other GNR 3 times, but this concert was the best ever! It goes to show you how amazing Slash, Axl and Duff are together.

• Like 1

Axl has exceeded my expectations, I completly blanked out NUGNR, and would just cringe when I occasionally came across them on Youtube.The way he has turned himself around vocally is phenomenal.

I have watched along on 2-3 periscopes and got super excited along with everyone else, it's been several years that I've been willing to stay awake just to watch a band hit the stage. I have even listened to CD because of this reunion, I would like to here more deep cuts over CD but that's just personal preference and I get they are playing to all era of fans.

I would love to see a little more Steven, I was really surprised that he came out. Hats of to all of them for pulling this off, I'm sure it took a lot of work behind the scenes for everyone to reach a place that they could all share the stage and genuinely be pleased about it. 

I would have loved for Izzy to be involved, it would have been the sweetest icing on a fabulous cake. As the tour drew towards the end I was sure he would show and it's the only thing I can really say I have found disappointing. It doesn't bode well with me and as @downliner put it, a little clarification from either party would have stopped so much speculation. 

I would love to get to a UK show prices and life permitting, for now having great fun watching.

• Like 4

Here's my pro/con thoughts after going to the SD show:

PRO:

Axl "POSE" (1995-2015) RIP. Welcome back Axl Rose. He sounds fantastic and is starting to look and move like the Axl of yesteryear again. The Fat Axl memes do not apply to this man anymore -- he actually looks much leaner now. Way more passion, fun and confidence exuded from him which only helps this comeback.

GnR re-establishing their brand and rightful claim to being one of the greatest of all time. Their legacy was a big question mark and critics were beginning to forget their impact until this tour had it's successful run.

Slash is a legend. He is a huge draw at these shows and people were loudly cheering any time he started soloing. Slash arguably is the biggest draw of the band right now.

The King of Beers gives so much credibility and coolness to this band with just his presence. GnR still has that retro-cool x-factor going for it and it's in large part due to Duff's amazing stage presence.

They are having an amazing run and proving the naysayers wrong. This is the best rock band in the world at the moment and that's an amazing feat given their age and the innumerable odds the band (and specifically Axl) faced. Kudos to a job well done.

CON:

Where's Izzy? His presence is sorely missed. Even for live shows, he has that effortless cool vibe Duff has. That's why Izzy never did much on stage, he didn't have to...he was arguably the coolest member in the band despite being the quietest and least showy.

Fortus -- I feel bad for this guy. He tries really hard -- the dude was going for it on the stage and really trying to put on a show. Sadly the camera crew didn't care because the only people we saw on the screen were Duff, Slash, and Axl (even when they weren't doing anything). There was a specific moment early in the show where Fortus is spinning and punching his guitar -- running back and forth, and yet the camera focuses on a stationary Duff and Slash. It was sad and hilarious all the same. Nothing against the guy -- but his style just doesn't fit the band. I like his solo spots just fine, but does he bring out the best in Slash? I would say not at all. Slash seems to be succeeding despite everything.

Frank -- nothing against him either and he's fitting in better than Fortus but his thundering style gives the band a different feel. I understand the value of Adler only after seeing this iteration of GnR live. His groove made this band feel more rock n roll and less metal unlike what Sorum and Frank bring to the table. Brain was a much better replacement for GnR.

Nostalgia - The SD show had to be atleast 75% above the age of 35 if not higher. Mostly people in their 40's and 50's. In my section there were multiple elderly people (60s). Didn't see many 20's/early 30's people there at all. I could be mistaken but I didn't see it. They played the Top Gun soundtrack at my show. The Cult opened (talk about an irrelevant band). It's unmistakable that they are selling these shows as nostalgia for the 40's-50's crowd who want to relive their youth. If that was what the intention was, it was a massive success because I saw a lot of 40 year olds in bandanas partying there like it was 1987.

If they want to actually release new music and rebuild the GnR brand as a relevant band, they have an uphill battle since the marketing has screamed "nostalgia trip". The thing with nostalgia is it gets old. People get their fill and move on. This band needs to release new shit if they want to move beyond this. They have little youth appeal right now even compared to older rock bands and the irony is that GnR's catalogue is highly youth oriented. It also doesn't hurt that Duff and Slash still look like uber-rockstars and can easily make the band seem more relevant unlike other bands of this era who look totally washed up.

AFD - They play this album so much in their setllists that it makes them seem like a one-trick pony to the casual concert goers which is a shame since there is a wealth of UYI material to mine in these live shows. GnR has played AFD to death. Sorry if this offends some but it's the truth. Michael Jackson played Thriller to death in his live shows as well. Prince on the other hand selectively pulled out cuts from his Purple Rain album -- there are plenty of live shows from him where you don't hear a single cut from Purple Rain. It keeps the live shows fresh and less stale/nostalgic. 

Epics -- A lot of these don't translate well to a live audience. COMA and TWAT being prime examples. Love both, but neither were setting the audience on fire from my vantage point.

Covers -- How many fucking covers can a band play in a live show? With that said, Live and let die and Knockin' nearly imploded the stadium so what do I know? 

Chinese Democracy songs -- For fucks sake, stop playing them. Aside from the title track getting a tepid response, people immediately sat down for This i love and better. I was there -- I saw nearly everyone in my section sit down after standing during like 8-10 + classic era songs. These songs do not translate well to a live audience and bloats the shows. 

Final Thoughts: I saw an amazing show from GnR and they really delivered far beyond my expectations. It seems like they really connected with the audience which is a huge win after so many years in the wilderness. The question is, what now? With all this good will and cache from the NA tour being such a success, how will the band parlay that moving forward?

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 3

Absolutely! This tour has been a dream for me.

The hype and buildup, "GNR Christmas" on April 1st with the tour announcment and surorise show, flying out to Vegas with 2 very good friends (one of whom I've really shared my love of GNR with over the years) for the first big gig, seeing too perfect stadium shows, Adler, Axl sounding great, Slash and Duff killing it, Coma and a great setlist, Slash killing the Chinese Democracy songs, awesome stage show, the lithographs... everything's been great.

Vegas was truly special. The big bash was awesome, met so many awesome forum members that weekend. Felt like a huge GNR convention. I'm sad we won't ever get something of that magnitude again but I'm so glad I went. Then, the two stadium shows I saw from the pit exceeded all expectations, even after an amazing Vegas show. Axl, Slash, Duff, and the band fired on all cylinders.

Fucking awesome tour. Only wishes are that I would have liked to see Adler at a show I was at (but I'm so happy he's involved), some Izzy participation, and some new songs. This tour isn't about new music, though, and I'm cool with that. Hope that changes next tour, though! Anywaya, those are minor complaints. Killer fucking reunion imo

• Like 2

Being an O/S GNR fan, its been really cool watching this unfold. I must admit, my excitement really spiked for the troubadour show... for me, that first show and the excitement leading up to it was like nothing id seen before. Then a couple of cool photos and the odd 30 second clip leaked out and it was like... fkkkk the boys are back.

Then.. it kind of died down for me, Coachella just didnt feel right, in terms of the festival, axl was on his throne and something was lost... but then there was the south american crowds and it just hit home how big this thing could be and was going to get before they kicked off their north american leg. Seeing Steven back up there made my excitement levels spike again to the troubadour levels... but then he was gone... just like that... the more i see of steven up there the happier it makes me personally.

Overall, from where 2015 was.. to whats happened now.. there is no comparison. Its been epic.

If i had to say i was let down by anything... it's this.

I am an overseas fan, like a lot of people on here, and getting some Official news from the band has always been my biggest gripe. I was convinced wed have heard from Axl by now properly.. (not some chinese convention or whatever the fuck that was), but a fully organised band interview that addressed some of the questions that we all have. I think for a bunch of fans who have stuck solid all the way, spent their money and showed these guys how much it means to us, that we were owed (yes i know they dont technically owe us anything) but they could have done an interview. Even if just to promote the tour. thats my only gripe.

Otherwise... fuck its been good and i cant wait till Aus... ill be in sydney and having spent my heard earnt, it will be surreal to see these guys on stage again. Hopefully a surprise or 2 in the set-list or something else.. that would be fucking rad.

the NITL tour didn't meet my expectations because there wasn't enough songs from the Guns N' Roses Chinese Democracy album played at the concerts. There was only 4 played. The rest was AFD/ILLUSIONS DOMINATION. and that doesn't meet my expectations. I'm a fan of Guns N' Roses Chinese Democracy CD. And if Axl loves playing the Chinese Democracy songs the most as stated in the China Exchange interview then more Chinese Democracy songs should be played at the NITL concerts. And because it would make a fair and balanced setlist too. An even playing field covering the complete GNR catalogue including a definitive inclusion with the Chinese Democracy album!

17 hours ago, Night Drive Lonelinessl said:

the NITL tour didn't meet my expectations because there wasn't enough songs from the Guns N' Roses Chinese Democracy album played at the concerts. There was only 4 played. The rest was AFD/ILLUSIONS DOMINATION. and that doesn't meet my expectations. I'm a fan of Guns N' Roses Chinese Democracy CD. And if Axl loves playing the Chinese Democracy songs the most as stated in the China Exchange interview then more Chinese Democracy songs should be played at the NITL concerts. And because it would make a fair and balanced setlist too. An even playing field covering the complete GNR catalogue including a definitive inclusion with the Chinese Democracy album!

Should have seen that albums tour, then. It only lasted about 10 years... 

And they've done 6 Chinese songs this tour. That's quite a bit, considering what this tour is about

• Like 1

We knew what we'd get with Slash and Duff. Axl was always going to be the mystery factory and frankly I had little to no confidence. Did NOT think he had this in the tank and delivering on such a such a consistent level. As Ronin said, it's not just the voice, it's everything in how he's carrying himself. Nothing but kudos.

The AC/DC gig had to have helped his confidence as well. He genuinely seems to be having the time of his life and this is his most productive period since the early days.

They can knock out a great album, pay Izzy what he's woth and do it. I actually think they will.

6 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Should have seen that albums tour, then. It only lasted about 10 years... 

And they've done 6 Chinese songs this tour. That's quite a bit, considering what this tour is about

I see my assumption of the below expectations were correct, if not in one case.....lol